To-do lists: how is yours structured?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 25, 2012

I have a pretty stinky memory, and I need to get better at making lists. Typically what happens is I have one huge list where I write down everything - from the minute to the massive. Obviously, the pressing matters get lost in the jumble, so I stop writing things down.

Tell me about how you manage your lists so maybe I can find one that works better for me. For example, maybe you have a "do today" "do this week" & "copy" sections.

I get frustrated with all the possibilities. Organization is not my thing :whistle:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

My copy stuff I put in a big magnetic clip and clip it near my door do I'll grab it on a prep...
    Everything else pretty much is just jotted on a post it on my desk...
    If the 'to do' is some thing I have to address in email, have a post it stuck on my computer as well...
    Probably not the most organized, but it works for me

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2012

Depending on my needs my list titles may vary but generally on the same sheet of paper I will write different columns that say something like:

Emails (phone calls):
    Projects: (summary type info, maybe something that takes several steps or a few weeks)
    Errands/Tasks: (single step stuff)
    Shopping: (I go ahead and jot this stuff down as I go then make a full shopping list when I'm ready to think it through)
    Dates to Remember/Appointments: (helps me think through the week or have a place to jot something down until I can get to my calendar)

By columns, usually it is split into quadrants on my paper. If I need more, I will make them separate pages.

I keep spiral notebooks in various places. Generally writing helps me think it thorough and remember it. I generally don't need to refer back to it much except during the continue to think through it process but if I do, I can find it again.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

I carry a spiral notebook with me everywhere at school. Everything is in there--meeting notes, lists, questions for follow up, etc. If I ever lose that book, I'll be in trouble.

If someone comes up to me during the day to ask me a question or favour that needs following up on right away, I'll often ask them to write me a note on the whiteboard in my office--I keep a running "short list" there.

For those things I need to remember (e.g. covering someone else's supervision duty) I write a reminder on a bright sticky note and stick it to the bulletin board over my desk or onto my laptop.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2012

Heck, I had to stock up on spiral notebooks just for me! I don't even go to a job anymore and I still use the heck out of them. I even took one on vacation!

In a book I have about ADHD strategies this is one that is listed.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2012

When I had a classroom, some stuff I wrote on the left side of one of my dry erase boards. The kids got used to seeing notes to myself. After all, that's one purpose for writing.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

I used to just use post-it notes on my desk. This year I have a small pad that I've written To Do across and I just make lists there as I think of stuff that needs to get done. Hopefully this will help keep me on track and also keep my desk a little bit more organized!

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 25, 2012

Sticky notes.

I write ideas and notes on sticky notes as they come to me, put them on a clip board I keep on my desk--or the computer or telephone...whichever is the closest victim at the moment, and at the end of the day, I reorganize them into a main stream list or toss them as I take care of the need.

I'm a super visual person.

=]

10. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

I have one big list so I can just add things as I think of them. I then go through and highlight in yellow the things that need to be done today, pink for the things that can wait until tomorrow and blue for the things that can wait until next week. At the end of "tomorrow" I rewrite my list and reprioratize when they need to be done.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2012

I ended up making my own. It has 8 boxes. The first 5 are the days of the week, and I have typed in things I need to do every day - take care of any emails, send attendance, take care of work for absent students. I write everything else in. If I know I can't get to something that day, I write it on the list for the day I think I can realistically get to it. The 6th box is "to create" and the 7th is "to grade" so anything that I need to make up or copy (tests, etc.) for the week goes in the to create box and as I collect assignments, I put them in the "to grade" box. The last box is just for anything so I might make notes there or jot something down that needs to be done but I don't know when I am going to get to it or for the next week.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 25, 2012

For school stuff, I use those big Post-It note sheets with lines on them. I put three columns on it: Today, This Week, and Sometime.

For home, I keep a lined pad on the side of the fridge and one on the board in the office. The one on the fridge is for the store, and I divide it by store. The one in the office is for bills, and it's just your basic list.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

I keep my spiral notebook for all meetings and notes throughout the day.

Then I use post-it notes for things I need to get done. I'm so visual, that I actually color coded my notes. I have one color for must get done before I leave school, another for before tomorrow, another for this week, and one for I would like to get done. Everything gets written on a post-it and then stuck to a page protector page in my teacher binder.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 25, 2012

I rarely make them unless I have several big things coming up. I write meetings and things like that on my calendar. Occasionally if I feel like I'm not getting much done at planning I'll start making a list of things to be done. When I was moving I put my "big to dos" on a list but not little daily things. Mostly I just kind of run through my "to do list" in my head for the day. I've always had an excellent memory.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I keep a small notepad on my desk and jot down or cross off to-dos as I think of them. I quite enjoy crossing off completed tasks. :)