To Do List for Jobseekers?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eternalsunshine, Dec 23, 2013.

1. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Dec 23, 2013

Hi,

I will be looking for my first full time teaching job for the 2014-2015 school year. I am trying to formulate a game plan and would appreciate any advice on how I should go about the process. I have my resume ready, have a working cover letter, and need one more letter of reference.

My main questions are:
    1.) Where should I look to apply? I only know of EdJoin.) Are there any other good websites?
    2.) How do I find job fairs and are they usually effective?
    3.) I have heard that April is when people start to post jobs. Is that typically a good time to start looking?
    4.) What other ways are there to look?

I am located in Southern Ca, so would appreciate and specific advice. But I hope this post will be helpful for others also, so any info regardless of location would be appreciated too. Thank you in advance!!
    :)

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 23, 2013

Hi there. :) I'm in Southern CA. I got a job in the spring of 2012 and I'm in my second year there, but I will be job searching again this year in Northern CA because I want to move out of the area. So, I've gotten a job, but I'm also a job seeker again!

1) Edjoin is the primary location for jobs in CA. If you're interested in charter schools, you could try the California Charter Schools Association. I know there are other sites for private schools as well, but that's not my area of expertise. SOME districts do not post on Edjoin, but very very few. San Diego Unified is one of them. I would go on each district's website to check and make sure they use Edjoin. The vast majority do, but if not, you could continue checking back with that particular district.

2) There are next to no job fairs in CA. And when there are job fairs, they are very frequently only secondary and/or special education. I'm not sure what your credential is in. I'm an elementary teacher. I actually got my current job through a charter schools job fair. On Edjoin's recruitment events page, you can find job fairs if there are any. That's how I found the charter fair. If there are job fairs, they are absolutely worth going to! They are just very, VERY rare in this state. It seems other states have far more than we do.

3) Start checking Edjoin daily in February. Northern CA will start posting then. Southern CA is later, but charters may start in Feb. They absolutely will start in March. Every year is different depending on budget, etc. But in many districts and schools, April would be too late. When I got my current job, I went to a job fair in March, interviewed in April, and was hired the first week of May.

4) Many on these forums will talk about contacting schools and districts directly. While this is very effective in other states, it is a gamble in California. Many districts and schools do not look favorably on this practice at all. I would imagine it would be more successful with charters and private schools.

If you are willing to work at a charter, you have a much greater chance of landing a job. I'm at a charter and I love it. There are bad charters around. In CA, a good rule of thumb would be to check and be sure they are members of the CCSA, the CA Charter Schools Association. Their website has a listing of members. The CCSA does terminate membership if schools don't live up to their standards, so that is a great place to start.

Best of luck to you. :) I'm planning to polish my resume and get a new cover letter written over this break as well. It's almost time for hiring season!

4. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Dec 28, 2013

This post is super useful thanks for posting about it. yellowdaisys I live in SOCAL and want to move back up north also so thanks for your useful post as well. It is also nice to hear about someone with a positive experience with charter schools :)

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 28, 2013

Best of luck to you moving up north! Hopefully we both get to leave SoCal! :D

I've definitely had a positive experience with my particular charter, but that does NOT mean it's impossible to have a negative experience. I've learned to be selective. ;)

6. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Dec 29, 2013

Thank you Yellowdaisies and Heartdrama! This is such great information. I've prepared my resume and started my cover letter. So next I will be going to these websites and researching the districts around my area.

Yellowdaisies, I've actually held a part time position at a "bad" charter school and it was crazy. People were quitting left and right. I will definitely be researching charters schools using the info you have given. Thank you!

Heartdrama, I have my prelim multiple subject credential and am hoping to teach K-3. It would be great if you could let me know of schools in your area. Thank you so much!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

In my opinion, one of the most important things on your to-do list is spending the time to formulate a killer cover letter. I think that it, more than almost anything except the interview, is your opportunity to set yourself apart from the pack of people vying for the same jobs.

Many of the other new teachers will have a resume very similar to yours, with similar coursework and similar experiences. But that cover letter is your opportunity to leave the reader thinking "Now THIS is a teacher I want to meet!!!" It's your opportunity to set yourself aside from the pack and inject some of YOU into the process.

Far too many cover letters are generic downloads (or "could have been downloads.") Spend the time developing one that will pique the interest of the reader and highlight what you bring to the classroom.

Another thing on your list for the next few months: come up with some interview clothes. In the NYC area, that would mean a suit or two.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Dec 31, 2013

I can't speak to many specifics that you asked in the original post because several things are different depending on the area.

However, one thing I would suggest is looking through the job seekers forum for possible interview questions. After doing that come up with some good specific examples you could use to answer those questions. That helped me greatly when I was looking for a job.

9. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jan 3, 2014

Thank you all. I agree Aliceacc. I am going to be focusing on finishing up my resume and perfecting my cover letter and writing answers to interview questions during January.