To desk or not to desk? Teacher desk...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCafe, Jul 17, 2015.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 17, 2015

I'm drawing up floorplans for my room setup. After reading a bit in the Harry Wong guide I do think I'm going to do angled rows for the first week so I can get to know all my kiddos and see their personalities. That way I'll know how I want them in groups for tables.

I don't however know what to do about my teacher desk. Our desks are pretty massive heavy wise.

My first thought was to use my kidney table for guided reading/writing as my teacher desk but then I said no because it should be an exclusive teaching area.

I thought about angling the kidney table around a teacher desk so I can swivel back and forth.

My teaching partner said there are smaller desks around the school and many have the put stuff in the hallway to take/remove "garage sale" thing that PD week so I could grab a smaller desk.

But should I have a designated teacher desk? It has drawers which is nice so the sterlite bins I used last year can be for supplies and such.

Last year I have a rectangular table I covered with fabric and had storage bins under to hide wires and my stuff.

Anyone use the kidney table as their desk and regret it? Not having your pins, post its, etc on the desk all the time because you have to move stuff for group time? I'll have a laptop so no desktop computer to worry about

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 17, 2015

I got rid of my regular desk years ago and have loved it! I have store drawers in needed places around the room. My computer and document camera sit on a small table. When I grade my papers I sit at my back table. Honestly my regular desk was just a convenient flat surface to stack stuff on.

4. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 17, 2015

Most of my day as far as sitting will be at the kidney table which I'll have in the back of the room so I can see everyone.

My first thought is to get rid of the teacher desk but then I wondered if I want to walk back and forth. Most of my stuff will be at the front of the room.

I have a kind of weird layout because I have a closet but it's right at the room entrance and I don't want the kidney table/teacher desk right at the door as a liability for stuff to walk out the room and in the doorway.

So it will be in a back corner by student computers.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2015

I like having a teacher desk, but I understand why others don't. Regardless of whether you keep it or not, I think that it is helpful to have some type of teacher work area that is separate from your small group instruction table. The students have enough of their own materials to bring with them; you'll want a separate space for your things. With the exception of my very first year teaching, I have always done like you suggested and had my desk and kidney table in the same area so that I could swivel back and forth between the two with one rolling chair. It's been a good set-up for me.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2015

Currently I use a teacher desk but in another room, I used my kidney table as my desk. I kept a bookcase behind it that stored my teacher junk. My lesson plans and calendar were laid out on top of the bookcase. I put one of those plastic bins under one side of the kidney table to use as my desk drawers.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2015

I stopped using a desk last year and I've never regretted it for a second - I don't miss the desk at all! I use my kidney table as a desk. My stuff is stored in a small 2 drawer horizontal wood filing cabinet and a small bookshelf. I have little drawers for push pins, etc. The only thing I need to work on is organizing the drawers and bookshelf - that's on the agenda for before teacher work days start.

I love that my workspace doubles as a small group meeting area - it forces me to keep things organized and stop making constant piles like I used to make on my desk!

My laptop is in a different place during the day - a table in the front of the room, with the projector.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 18, 2015

I always had a teacher desk. I kept my document camera on my desk so I could sit down while using it. Also, my computer station was there (desktop and printer). Inside the drawers, I kept all my essentials (post its, writing tools, gum, candy, aspirin, etc). Additionally, I would eat at my desk during lunch time. The kids knew it was an off-limits area. Even if I needed to conference with them or pull them for small group intervention, I'd call them to the kidney table--not to my desk.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 18, 2015

Whether a desk or kidney table is used, I'd highly recommend to keep yourself organized. There's nothing that bothers me more than walking into classrooms where there are piles and piles of papers everywhere.

Last year, I subbed in a classroom (the sub didn't show up, but that's a story for another day) and I could not find the sub plans. They were apparently buried beneath the mountains of papers, so I just improvised. Very frustrating.

Our kids mimic us. My students knew that I was very organized and expected neatness; therefore, they kept their desks and materials uncluttered. It was neat to see 2nd graders taking pride in the appearance of their work area and supplies.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 18, 2015

I've tried not having a desk, but it didn't work for me. I was constantly having to move stuff so students could come for groups.