to call or not to call???

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by heatherleigh, Jul 18, 2006.

1. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jul 18, 2006

ok so i have been filling out numerous applications and sending stuff off for some time now. this will be my second year teaching and i'm trying to move back to ohio from virginia. many of the schools i have applied to use on line applications and specify 'do not send us your materials and do not call.' i haven't heard much so far from the schools i've applied to. all through college everyone talked about how it was so good to call and send your stuff and stop by the school etc. and now the schools are saying don't do that. i'm confused. one of the websites even had a Q and A section where a person said that in college they heard doing those things increased your chances... the school responded basically saying 'not true. doing those things can decrease your chances.' so basically i'm asking what you guys think about calling schools. i don't want to be a pest but i also want them to know i'm interested! what are your experiences?

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 18, 2006

Personally I can't do it. I just feel like I have to follow the rules. BUT, you do want to make sure you are being noticed. If you could find a reason to call like you had a question about your application or something? I know.. it's lame. But if teachers can't follow the rules then who can? I know people do it, I just can't.

4. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I think it would be acceptable to call HR to make sure your applications arrived and they have everything needed for a complete application. Then you can slip in an inquiry as to if they are still looking for teachers for your grade/subject level. Since you are on the phone with them anyway...

5. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I never call because I'm too chicken to call. I prefer emails. I emailed nearly every principal / superintendent that I sent a letter to. Some responded, some didn't. I never came across anything that stated they didn't want calls though either. I wouldn't call if it specifically states not to. Also, maybe the superintendent / human resources don't want you to send your materials, but what about to the individual principals? Use your own judgement b/c like I said, I've never seen anything written about not to call on applications I've filled out, so you may not want to do that either... but perhaps when you get to Columbus you could hand deliver your materials to the principals.

6. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jul 18, 2006

yeah i think i started calling last year when it started getting really close to the school year and i didn't have a job still. i would fax my materials over and then call to see if they got it and find out when they would be interviewing. i'm kind of chicken to call as well. i am trying to think of the district that had the Q/A thing... i was honestly shocked when i read it. you hear all this stuff about how being more aggressive helps you but honestly i just don't have it in my personality... that's part of the reason i went into teaching rather than some cut throat business field... what is the world coming to when us teachers are all out there competing with one another. when i think about it i think of the scene from 'fun with **** and jane' where there are all the people in suites like racing to be first in line for an interview... crazy!

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Personally I would rather be the last one so that I can stay fresh in their minds! Unless like my friend's interview where the offered her the job and told her they had to interview another person since they had already scheduled it! I would feel bad then!

8. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Being in a almost former :) HR person I would suggest that if they state do not call, then do not call. THey are saying that for a reason and think about it like this. Say there are 10 applicants and 8 of them call. They are looking at those 8 as not able to follow instruction, what kind of teacher will they make. You already have a leg up.

You can send thank you letters or updated resumes. There are ways to get around it. Good luck.

9. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 18, 2006

I mail my material, then a few days to a week later I e-mail to make sure it arrived, mentioning that sometimes things get lost in the mail. It is difficult to try to stand out amongst the rest, since everyone else is also trying to stand out too. Frustrating I know. I also add my letters of recommendation to the packets I mail just so they know more about me than my resume and letter of interest.

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

heatherleigh-i have seen district websites here (cincinnati area) advising you to not send resumes, call, etc. personally i think it's better to follow their instructions so that you don't make them mad! for districts that don't do that, though, i will always send at least a follow-up e-mail. that way they know i'm interested. i think a lot of the problem in ohio is the job market is just sooooooooo saturated w/teachers-ESPECIALLY early childhood! imagine being an h.r. person and having to file/sort/go through 9 million resumes every week. that would drive me nuts! so keep that in mind when you're bugging them-but still bug them! i would say if you're not big on calling, just send e-mails. they don't always respond but sometimes they do (and that makes it all worth it :)). good luck! -meri

11. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jul 18, 2006

thanks meri... i agree with you on the overabundance of early childhood teachers... although my cousin just graduated with a degree to teach HS english and she is having about as much luck as us ECE... hopefully things will look up for everyone soon!

12. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

i think that they will. if only the teachers who've been teaching for a long time would just retire already, we could all get jobs! what are they thinking??!! -meri

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

Hi Heather,
    I have not read what everyone else wrote but I do have to say I did not call the schools. But I did email the schools. This after this week I will have been to six interviews this year. Out of those six I emailed five of the schools. I figure an email is better than a phone call because your name (if they are like me) will be in their inbox for a while. I always forget to delete emails. That way they will see your name often and won't forget you.
    Anyway that is my thinking.
    I'll pm you the letter I send.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2006

I do the same thing as Jaime. I do not call because most districts don't want you too, and if you don't follow directions itmay come back to haunt you.