to borrow or not to borrow??

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teachmemath, Jul 27, 2005.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 27, 2005

I was just wondering what you guys thought about having students borrowing pencils or pens or giving paper out in class. Do you let them borrow it or do you let them have the pencil or pen to keep? If you let them borrow it what do you hold as collateral? What is your rule on this topic?

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2005

The kids purchase school supplies and we always have enough for they to HAVE a new pencil. I would just let them have it anyway.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 27, 2005

When I finished student teaching in May, my cooperating teacher had gone through over 1000 pencils already that school year and still had over a month of school left to go! It's tough...especially in low income areas...because many of the students can't afford to bring in their own supplies all of the time. I think sometimes it's easier to just give them a pencil, but I'm sure you know as well as I do that that same student will be asking for one the next day and will have lost the one from the day before. Pencils can be bought in large quantities pretty cheaply most times, but at the after school program where I work now and probably when i have my own classroom too, the students will be able to borrow pencils. Now I have the children sign-out a pencil and then at the end of the day Imake sure that I have pencils back from all of the children whose names are on the list. This way, there's always pencils for them to use without me having to spend my own money all of the time.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jul 27, 2005

I taught 6th grade for 13 years. I had the kids leave me their shoe for collateral. I had a canister of pencils at the front of the room; they could leave their shoe at the front of the room and take a pencil. Give the pencil back / get your shoe back.

I used to charge a quarter for a pencil (or maybe it was fifteen cents for one, but a quarter for two) until I had a parent complain. No one complained about the shoes, however!

I used to collect pencils from the playground or the hallways. They were not nice looking pencils.

Also - I had "Hobo Paper" available for kids who didn't have paper. This would be the back side of worksheets that other teachers had thrown in the trash or (I always made two-sided worksheets if I could)... I would collect these from the recycling bins in other teachers' rooms or the work room! LOL

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

I keep a tub of "borrow" pencils. It's pencils that I find on the floor or in the hall. It never empties, in fact, at times I have to thin it out. As for paper, I found a huge stack of the Indian notebooks (I don't remember what the official name is, but it's the tablets of paper with red front with a picture of an indian on the front.) They are ancient. My kids don't have to bring in loose-leaf because the school buys it, but if they don't have their folder for that subject, they have to use one of my note pads. They don't enjoy it!

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

I scour the hallways for pencils too. Let students borrow the ones that you find. they usually get returned.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Heh... or the golf pencils... those work well, too... who wants a short stubby pencil without an eraser!?!?!?

9. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I also have a tup of "old fashion" pencils for borrowing. I perfer my 2nd graders to use the throw-away lead pencils. I even give them one on the first day in a gift bag to show them which are allowed in my class.

10. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I had issues w/ pencils for years! I finally figured out a system that has worked really well for me.

On the first day of school I give each of my 1st/2nd graders two sharpened pencils for their desk. Then I collect all the packages of pencils they've brought to be our community pencils. (I do let them keep any "special" pencils, preprinted w/ their name or whatever, in their desks.) The community pencils are kept in a cabinet, and periodically I take a handful out and have my student helper sharpen them. They go in a can on the class supply shelf; students take them anytime. I ask kids to have 3-4 sharp pencils in their desks at all times. When one breaks or gets dull, they put it in the "Sharpen Me" jar and take a fresh pencil from the can on the shelf. At the end of the day during "Job Time" the student helper sharpens the pencils in the Sharpen Me jar and puts them in the other can, ready for the next day. (I bought an electric sharpener at Staples for 40 bucks; best investment I ever made! I don't allow students to use it during the day; only the helper may use it at Job Time.)

Also, I get misprinted pencils donated from a local printing business. They've given me hundreds! Ask around; you'd be surprised how many businesses are willing to donate when they find out you're a teacher! I put little masking tape "flags" near the eraser of these pencils and keep 10 in a can on my guided reading table. Students may borrow them and return them. They know that the ones w/ flags are mine. :)

~Jaicie

11. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

:angel: What a great idea! By not allowing everyone to use the sharpener, I am sure the life span of it has increased. You know, I love this site. I have been teaching for many years, and I still find so many new ideas here. Thanks.

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2005

I have seen many teachers use the "community pencils" rule, and not let the students sharpen their own pencils. I also know that you can buy pencils that have printed on it "teachers pencil, please return"...it's a cute idea at least. It is easy to go through hundreds of pencils in a year if there is no system in place...

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2005

If they get one, they must give it back to me. I don't want to see 57 of my pencils in someone's desk.

I also have pencils and other supplies at my guided reading table. :)

14. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

This is what I did in 1st grade:
    I collect all packages of pencils the first day of school to use as community pencils. I keep two bins by the sharpener (1-needs to be sharpened, 2-already sharpened), One of my classroom jobs is pencil sharpener, and he/she is the only one that is allowed to use the electric pencil sharpener. At the end of every day each child puts their pencil in the bins and and the student whose job it is sharpens all of them. They are not allowed to sharpen pencils during the school day.
    This is what I do in 4th grade now:
    Each student is supposed to have 3 sharpened pencils with them everyday. They can sharpen their own pencils when they come in first thing in the morning. They are not allowed to sharpen pencils during the school day. If they forget/lose their pencils, then they must ask a friend to borrow a pencil. I do not keep pencils for them.

When I was in 4th grade we had a teacher that made you give her collateral(sp?). your belt, a shoe, an earring, jewelery, money...something of value. And you got to borrow a pencil and she gave your valuables back when you gave the pencil back.