To apply or not...

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Kylina, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Kylina

Kylina New Member

Jun 20, 2021

I am going to be going back to school to finish up my degree but in the meantime I am on the fence about whether or not to apply as a substitute teacher in Nevada. I just switched my major to Elementary Education and have no teaching classes under my belt. I know my local district is in need, but I am a little hesitant because I have never taught before. I don't know if I should get a semester under my belt first, or just dive right in.

My only experience is being a full-time daycare employee, where I would teach kids basic songs, keep the classroom clean, etc.

I am asking to be kept in your prayers, please? So that the Lord may show me what I should do.

3. studenteacher21

studenteacher21 New Member

Jul 6, 2021

Substitute teaching really isn't teaching. All a sub does is follow the directions the teacher of record has left for a sub to follow. Substitute teaching is all about classroom management, and ensuring the students are safe. The classroom basically runs itself because most teachers have well, organized classrooms. So, there really shouldn't be anything to be hesitant about. Substitute teaching is a perfect way to find out if you want to be a teacher or not.

4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jul 7, 2021

While I disagree with the statement that "substitute teaching really isn't teaching," it IS a great way to get a feel for whether or not you enjoy teaching.

Subbing won't give you a feel for planning, meetings, and all the other extra stuff that goes into teaching, but it will give you a HUGE step up in classroom management techniques because there's a good chance you won't get a well organized classroom with students who magically and consistently do what they are expected to do. In elementary especially, you will be teaching content as a sub most days.

As a sub: elementary days were my busiest. I was always left regular lesson plans for the day and expected to teach what the classroom teacher had planned to teach that day. Very rarely, I'd get extra "filler" activities or not have plans at all (emergency absences will do that), but those were the exception.

As a teacher: I always leave regular plans for my subs, or slightly modified plans that still cover the same content. My regular lesson plans sometimes only make sense to me, so that's when I'll pull together modified lessons.

Subs who don't teach the lessons teachers leave cause problems. Now kids are behind, the teacher has no idea what actually got done (if anything), and the class is in low to mid-level chaos the next day.

The classroom will not run itself, that's why subs exist. Subs are teachers; just with fewer daily responsibilities (though obviously there are places where subs are not required to have any education experience at all, which is a different discussion).

Get some classroom management books: I'm partial to "Tools for Teaching" by Fred Jones, "Teaching with Love and Logic" by David Funk and Jim Fay, and "The First Days of School" and "The Classroom Management Book" by Harry Wong. They will help a ton as a sub. You won't have to do the overall management setup and hopefully the majority of teachers you sub for will have something solid in place, but it's also helpful to know your own expectations and management strategies so you can explain them to students clearly when you arrive. This is especially helpful when a teacher's management system isn't clear or well laid out, because subbing in that context is a recipe for disaster.

Also, I started subbing after graduating and I still felt wildly unprepared. Subbing is a "jump in with both feet" type job no matter what!