To apply or not to apply. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Sep 28, 2013.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 28, 2013

I'm currently teaching junior high English (two grade level preps). I am seriously struggling to make it through. The kids are awful due to poor admin in the past. The new admin is trying to make changes, but the older teachers are making it very difficult to make changes. They are unwilling to do anything differently. The instruction is so far behind in terms of following best practices. There are some teachers using the same lesson plans from 15 years ago. I'm on my own for one of my preps because I refuse to teach using only worksheets and class novel units (aka more worksheets).

There's an opening for a position at our local Education Service Center. It's something I think I would enjoy, even though it's not a classroom type position. The pay is roughly the same, so I could swing it financially. So my question is, should I apply? I feel like it would be difficult to keep quiet based on the fact everyone around here knows everyone else. I don't want to not get the job and be even more miserable because everyone knows I applied for another job only a month into school. I'm really torn!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2013

I'm guessing you're a new teacher (or at least in a new position). I'd advise against applying for a new job already. You aren't likely to get hired immediately for another full time job, for one, and two, the beginning of the year your first year is always the hardest. It'll get better. Try sitting down with your colleagues and show them some of the things you're doing. Maybe they are using the same old stuff because they don't know what else to do.

4. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 28, 2013

This is my fourth year teaching, but I'm new to the district and to junior high. I've already tried showing them new things and was told, "You can do your thing, and we'll do ours." I can't use their plans because all they do is worksheets and preplanned novel units (those books from the teacher supply store). It would be infinitely easier for me to just go along with their plans, but I would hate myself for being a worksheet only teacher.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2013

Well ultimately it's up to you, but as a general rule, I'd recommend against any teacher "job hunting" during their first year with a district unless it is a "I literally will end up in the hospital before the year is up unless I leave this job" situation, which you don't seem to be in. I've sat in on panel interviews, and to be blunt about it, there's very few explanations a teacher could ever give for leaving a teaching position mid-year that I wouldn't look at very poorly.