To anyone who has been to a Teacher Appreciation Day:

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NewbieTeachr, Jul 27, 2008.

1. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

How busy is it? How hard is it to get the free items? Do you have to be there earlier than opening time? I know it depends on where you live but I thought maybe someone would be able to help me.

The reason I ask is because Office Depot, Staples, and Big Lots all have their Teacher Appreciation on the same day starting at the same time and I don't know which one I should focus on more. Anyone been to them? I heard Big Lots isn't that great but is Office Depot or Staples more worth going to?

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

I haven't been to any either so I will be reading this thread!:love:

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I went to Staples last year around 12:30 (ended at 1pm) and they still had a lot of free teacher goodies.

Does Big Lots give anything away? I thought in the ad it just said 20% off all day or something.

5. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Well either on this board or another I heard that Big Lots gives away a teacher planner...but most complained that is smelled like a litter box!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2008

Is Office Depot and Max the same day nationwide? I can't find the site for them anywhere. I found my Staples date, however.

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

My Staples seemed to have lots and lots of goodie bags. I got there early last year, then went to Target, I think it was. Big Lots wasn't too good. Ours had coffee and donuts, a few giveaways, nothing great.

9. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 27, 2008

My Staples and Office Depot always have theirs on the same day. They are right up the street from each other, so I usually go to both. Staples usually has the better goodies, but OD has the better breakfast (donuts and orange juice.) I usually get there around 11 and they still have stuff left.

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I have two staples close and both are having their day on different saturdays. Office depot is later in august.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

Mine are:

Big Lots 8/2
    Office Depot 8/9
    Staples 8/16

I won't be going to the Big Lots one. I have to pick between the Staples Day and my Scholastic Warehouse sale. I think Scholastic is the way to go. Thoughts?

12. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 27, 2008

All of the common ones in my area - Staples, Office Depot, and Office Max, are having theirs Sat. Aug. 2. Each year, I have gotten some good items, but OD tends to edge out Max and Staples. I always go around 9 a.m., and there are a handful of teachers at each place.

13. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Interesting...when do these go on??

14. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I'm so happy with the responses! Thank you! I guess I'll be going to Office Depot then Staples....maybe Big Lots.

15. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I have gone to my Staples for the past 2 years and nobody is ever there. I live in a small town. So they give you your goodies and say thanks. It is very low key.

16. abk327

abk327 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

what kinds of things do each give you? I went to the Michael's one recently and was disappointed. Also the Staples site says they give you free stuff, but office depot just says a discount and breakfast. Do they both give things out?

17. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Do they ask you to show an ID confirming that you're a teacher? I'm new and don't have an ID yet- but hoping I can go anyways.

18. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I have found staples to be more and more low key as the years go on. Last year you wouldn't even know it was happening...I had to ask where the goodies were (alllll the way in the back of the store at some pathetic table). The goodies last year were not even that good. Some years you get a nice variety of stuff and others, not so much!

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Last year Staples had pens, markers, post it notes, paper clips, yellow notepad and it was in a thick plastic folder. It was free!

20. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Preeschool,

Perhaps you can show them a copy of your contract?

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2008

I think I've shown my school id or state union id to confirm I'm a teacher. Sign up for the teacher rewards program and star teacher program at Staples and Office Depot. I find it exciting to go to the Teacher Appreciation events. At some they haave coffee/donuts. Staples usually has tote bags of some sort with coupons, a few pen/marker samples, post its, maybe some paper clips and the such. Office Depot is similar.

I think the key is to be THANKFUL...Just like the Staples penny sales and 5 cent deals, they are trying to get you to come to the store and buy things, not just get FREE stuff. 'You get what you get and you don't get upset'...Isn't that what we tell our students- Let's please refrain from being ungrateful...