To all you gifted organizers!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Arky, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

I have met some gifted organizers in my teaching career. I am not one of them.:(
    Where do you store your copies you have run off?
    Where do you store your teacher manuals?
    When do you do your lesson plans? at home? at school?
    Do you rewrite them every year?
    And how in the world do you keepup with everything that comes through your door all year long?

3. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

:D

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2008

It's been one of my goals too!!! I used to stack up left over copies for me to file later--which I never got to.

SO, I put them in the recycling paper bin at my art center for the kids to color on the back. They love to color and they need paper. Two birds!!:p

Plus one year I saved all the extra math homework pages to file later. I literally had a pile 4 inches tall. I spent hours re filing them. Then our district updated and got the second edition so all the homeworks were different and we had to empty out the files!!!

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 28, 2008

All copies go in the file drawer, kept in groups until they are moved into the daily folders which are kept on my desk. I set up the following week on Wednesday since that is my long prep period.

Manuals are kept in a cabinet behind my desk in the order in which they are used. I pull them out in the morning and stack them on my desk. They are put away or go home with me each afternoon.

Most of my planning is done at home. I have most of my supplemental materials there and it's just easier to pull out what I need from the books/binders at home than take all those books with me.

The basic framework of the year remains the same. I have a word document that I fill in for each week. Again, that gets done on Wednesday. I'm always amazed when I pull out a transparency or something else and find the date that we did it 4 years ago is only a few days away from the date we'll do it this year. There is a rhythm to the year that carries on, even if I try to speed up or slow down.

And how in the world do you keep up with everything that comes through your door all year long?
    I try to handle papers only once. Things that need to be done and turned in/mailed/etc. get put in the appropriate daily folder. Materials that are turned in to me from my teachers get dated, notated, and filed at the end of each day. I try to have my desk clean at the end of the day, even though it occasionally doesn't happen.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2008

Where do you store your copies you have run off? I have one of those file sorters on the corner of my desk. There is a colored file folder for each day of the week and they go into the appropriate day.
    Where do you store your teacher manuals? In wire cubes- 1 subject per cube
    When do you do your lesson plans? at home? at school? mostly at school. Sometimes at home or my second job.
    Do you rewrite them every year? Yup. Sometimes I write what I did in the teacher edition- then I only need to copy from it :)
    And how in the world do you keepup with everything that comes through your door all year long? If it is important, I take care of it immediately. Not so important things get placed in a paper tray and sifted through every few weeks.

7. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Dec 28, 2008

1. Where do you store your copies you have run off?
    I have stackable trays on my desk labeled with each subject. My copies are organized in the appropriate trays. Extras are stored in my filing cabinet after they are not needed anymore.

2. Where do you store your teacher manuals?
    They are in a crate on my desk. Just like "Goldenpoppy," I pull them out each morning and stack them on my desk in the order in which I teach each subject.

3. When do you do your lesson plans? at home? at school?
    At school with my teaching partner

4. Do you rewrite them every year?
    Yes, I do. However, I often refer to my lesson plan book from the previous year. I like to do that to see what ideas I used to enhance the lesson, and to see if we are where we need to be at that time during the year.

5. And how in the world do you keepup with everything that comes through your door all year long?
    I throw out what I don't need!

****Here's my biggest suggestion. Buy 2 big boxes of 100 manilla file folders. Label all of your chapters from your textbooks on those folders. That way, when you come across a great idea or sheet for a lesson that you taught 2 months ago....you can just stick it in the file folder that belongs to that chapter.

8. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

I have a small filing cabinet next to my desk with hanging file folders inside. I have 1 file for each subject (5 different subjects) under each day of the week. The files are color coded, so I can quickly glance at the colors and grab the copied work. So, behind my general Monday folder I have a yellow folder for morning work, a blue folder for math, a red folder for reading, a green folder for science/social studies, and an orange folder for writing. I have that same group of 5 colored folders/subjects for each day of the week. When I make copies, I immediately paperclip them together and file them in the appropriate folder back in my room.

Most of my teacher manuals are stored in the cabinet behind my desk, although the ones I use every day (reading and math) are out on top of my cabinet.

I write my lesson plans at school, usually Thursday afternoon for the next week. I put everything that I need out on my desk, including my teacher manuals and last week's plans, and I write them all in one sitting. I keep copies of all the implementation guides and 1st grade standards in my lesson plan binder, divided by subject (along with current/past/blank lesson plans) for easy access and easy LP completion.

Yes, I rewrite my plans every year. My schedule has been different every year so far so I am always in different spots throughout the year, especially in writing, science, and social studies.

And how in the world do you keepup with everything that comes through your door all year long?
    I try to complete things as soon as I get them and turn them in asap as well. I have a "district forms" folder that I keep in my 3-drawer storage shelf on my desk, and I put any "informational" papers that I need in there.

If there is a deadline in the future of some sort of paperwork, I write it on my large desk calendar so I have a reminder of what is due. I write everything (from meetings to deadlines to assemblies to reminders) on my large desk calendar, and color-code everything. It gives me a quick idea of what is due on any given day, or what I have going on that week.

I have labeled folders and binders for everything, and I keep all important/need to know/use every day information in the 3-drawer storage shelf on my desk. Anytime I think of something I need done, I add it to my "to do" list, which is ongoing on my desk. I leave myself a "to do" list every day before I leave, so I can get to work right away in the morning...that way, I don't waste any time figuring out what I need to do. If I need paperwork filled out or filed, I put it right underneath my "to do" list so I don't have to search for it or forget about it.

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 28, 2008

Excellent idea!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 29, 2008

I have my copies done by grading period so I file them by week into magazine-like file boxes until the week comes around then I put them into my daily metal hanging file that is by my whiteboard. I usually only copy language arts and math by the six weeks since my social studies and science plans pacing change often.

My teacher manuals are in a bookcase under my whiteboard, but I rarely use them. They are just kept there in case I have a sub.

I have a general template that I change weekly for my lesson plans that I must turn in. I only work on them at school. Before school started, I worked on a year at a glance spreadsheet that lists almost everything I need to teach, when I need to teach it so I use that to make sure I am on target with my lesson plans. They are never the same every year but I often use many of the same materials but usually not in the same manner.

If at all possible, I turn in whatever I get in my mailbox that day or the next if I can. If it is a paper or project that is ongoing, I keep it in the lesson plan binder on my desk. I write due dates on my calendar as well. I keep a memo file of all the weekly bulletins/faculty meetings, etc. so I can go back and look something up if needed.

11. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Dec 29, 2008

Lesson Plans
    I have a saved format on the computer with a year's lesson saved and I tweak and modify quickly when I need to.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 29, 2008

It's only my first year teaching, but I'm an organization freak.

Where do you store your copies you have run off? I don't have a lot of copies because I teach K (it's mostly hands-on), but I keep copies in a filing cabinet. That way, when I want to grab something to pass out I just grab the folder.

Where do you store your teacher manuals? I'm fortunate to have a ton of cupboards, so mine are tucked away and organized by subject. The ones that I am currently using are next to my computer.

When do you do your lesson plans? at home? at school? I usually stay late at school one night a week to do then all. If I'm really not in the mood to be at school any longer I take them home.

Do you rewrite them every year? This I can't really answer, but I don't think I will rewrite. I'll make some adjustments, of course.

And how in the world do you keep up with everything that comes through your door all year long? Honestly, you just have to be organized and prioritize. I was so overwhelmed in the beginning of the year, but you just come up with your own system. My other rule is that I try to fill out paperwork, answer emails, and do any other little side work ASAP. It usually only takes a few minutes, and then it's done.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 29, 2008

I could have written this post at the begining of the year. I've never been a very good organizer, but this year I'm teaching in the cafeteria because the new section of the building isn't open yet. i've been forced to get very organized.

I am the manilla folder queen. All of my lessons are in manilla folders, and I take them out and put them in hanging file folders at the begining of the week. I also keep each days worth of work for each class in another folder taht I take back and forth with me so it can be graded and recorded. I ahve learned to do everything right away, because otherwise it will pile up and I'll have a mess on my hands. I can't have a mess on my hands because I have nowhere to lock things up.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 29, 2008

I have a desk apprentice (from staples)that is a hanging file in the middle. I have a folder for each day of the week and two more - one for center papers that I will need that week only and one for a few extra go to activities
    The only one I look at is the math book and I have a metal vertical file that I store it and my other resource books on
    Mostly at school, but I write them at home if I run out of time.
    I keep them and add/change as needed. Some things change more than others, but it seems to change a little at a time
    And how in the world do you keep up with everything that comes through your door all year long?
    Deal with it as soon as possible!

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2008

file, file, file. I keep all my December/January units in one huge plastic box...and in there are individual files, my reading books and any toys, etc...
    For example...I have my Gingerbread unit, Christmas unit, Snow unit in that big box. Then I have a file for each of those units. And then I have my gingerbread dolls, gingerbread music CD, etc...I really need some more plastic boxes :unsure:

16. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Dec 29, 2008

I have met some gifted organizers in my teaching career. I am not one of them.:(
    I'm trying to become more organized! :)
    If I run copies of something I will need for the next school week, I store them in a bin I bought from Wal-Mart. They are actually a set of 2 bins with 3 small drawers each (fit 8.5 x 11 papers perfectly!). Each drawer is labeled with a day of the week. In the bottom of the drawer, I keep a file folder that is labeled and packed with activities for emergency sub plans. Each day of the week has its own set of activities so the sub would know exactly what to do if I were out and wasn't able to leave plans (hasn't happened but one time and the sub said it helped a great deal!). As for the rest of the drawer, I place the copies I've made in order of the subjects as they are scheduled throughout the day. Then I can go straight to the drawer in the morning and pull out the papers I need. If I'm having a sub, I pull the entire drawer out for them so they have easy access and a general organization for all papers used.
    If I've made copies for a unit that I'll teach at a later time, I file them under the topic in the file cabinet and pull them out to go in the daily drawers when needed.

I have one of the Apprentice rotating organizers that I use for all kinds of things. My manuals fit perfectly in the center portion. I take them out only when I need them.
    I do my lesson planning mostly at home. I don't feel like I should spend time planning at school, but should focus on my students instead. We're also asked to be out of the building by a certain time each day (and are not allowed in the building on the weekends), so I tend to plan to set time aside for making plans at home. I make notes about things that I need to remember to cover in the next week or so and then carry my notebook with me between home and school.
    I have an empty drawer in my set of bins (days of the week mentioned at the top). Everything that comes in my mailbox each day goes in the drawer. I then take care of it at my planning time & the end of the day every day. I find it's easier for me to stay organized if I take care of those things when I get them. From the drawers, I have files for different things. I put papers that need to be filled out in a file labeled as such and fill them out before they are due.

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 29, 2008

Where do you store your copies you have run off? My math is copied for the entire year and it's placed on the bottom shelf of a large bookshelf. A parent volunteered to copy it for me and I said, "Thanks one million times!" I also have an "L" shaped bookshelf where I stack copied papers for other subjects.

Where do you store your teacher manuals? I have a great podium that has shelves in it and all the T.E.'s go there. It's placed at the front of my room near the white board and overhead.

When do you do your lesson plans? at home? at school? This is the first year for my campus to write group plans for all 13 second grade teachers. I wrote plans last semester and the other teachers will write them this semester. We all vary a little and just monitor and adjust accordingly. Everyone writes their own plans for reading.

Do you rewrite them every year? I use the ones I wrote a couple of summers ago which were wonderful. I rewrite those onto Edline with the proper dates.

And how in the world do you keep up with everything that comes through your door all year long? I promptly pitch stuff that I don't think I have to have. I've very selective about what I keep. I have monthly files for seasonal thing and notebooks for all my subjects so I punch holes in all the papers I keep. Extra work sheets get trashed. Principal memos go in a file as well as letters from parent.

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2008

*I have a 10 drawer organizer labeled by day, and by what the drawer holds.
    *Behind my desk on a bookshelf.
    *I do my plans at school, during my prep time. I have taught the same grade level for many years, so I use the previous years' plans to pace me.
    *Yes.I make adjustments per my class' needs.
    *I have learned how to say NO politely. I pick in the beginning of the year the committees I want to be on, and that is all I do. Every summer, I choose 5 new things I want to implement in my classroom, and that becomes my yearly focus. I also have the attitude that not all that is thrown at me will get done, and that the school and the kids will survive and move forward.:)

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2008

Quickly get rid of what you don't need. I'm a big pack rat, but I make sure to throw away the unimportant items. I try not to leave school with a messy desk. I used to make a schedule of things I wanted to get done during my prep every day. Before I could relax I made sure that was done. That helped me to stay on top of copying, grading, and planning.