To Aide or to Substitute?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sunlight, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Sunlight

Sunlight Rookie

Aug 31, 2015

Hey all, I am looking for a full time position in New Jersey, and I would really appreciate advice.

I received a call from a well-respected district requesting I contact them if I was interested in working as an educational assistant. It seems to be part time, and it will probably be daily.

I think it would be beneficial for this district to know my face, but I've also heard from principals that the best way to be placed for a full time position is to substitute, long-term substitute, and then apply for full time. I've heard rumors that teacher's aides are often kept on as aides (as it's difficult to find new ones) and rarely hired.

I want to spend time teaching children, and I do want a full time position as soon as possible. Not to be greedy, but those college loans weigh down. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does your district seem to have a preference?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2015

I never really had to face this dilemma myself, but I'm sure each district is different regarding which way you'd have a better chance of getting a permanent teaching job. It sounds like being a substitute would have a better chance of being a teacher, so if that's the case, then go that route. Good luck!

4. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 31, 2015

I'm from New Jersey too. I've worked in two districts as an aide and that got me nowhere in either district. I've only substitute taught a handful of times. However, I got more interviews for teaching positions by having those aide jobs on my resume. I personally think it would be better to be a sub though, since you can work in multiple districts. :)

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 1, 2015

I've heard both things from districts - there was a private special education school I interviewed at - the guy interviewing me (The vice principal) had started 20 years earlier as an aide, then got promoted to teacher, team leader, then got his admin cert and became VP 5 years prior.

In other districts, i've heard subbing is the way to go - in the one I grew up in, many subs I had when I was in middle school were hired full time to teach HS by the time I got to the high school.

6. Sunlight

Sunlight Rookie

Sep 1, 2015

Thank you Ms. I, Red, and Bros. The feedback is a big relief to me.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2015

Some administrators may have a preference (in my district we ave hired both to full time classroom teacher positions!) , but the main factor is how you perform in either job. Those who hire are looking for candidates who have a 'can do' attitude, a positive management style with kids, know how to deliver instruction in ways to meet all learners, are passionate and professional.. Either subbing or being an aide will give you needed experience that will enhance your resume, skills and 'know how'. Good luck.

8. Sunlight

Sunlight Rookie

Sep 2, 2015

Always. It's good to know it varies with districts, so I suppose I'll just have to keep my eyes open. I've decided to stay with the district I've substituted with for a year now. Thank you for the response and advice--for what it's worth, I have a good feeling about this year.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 2, 2015

I'm sure it varies by district and by state, but I know of at least two districts in my state where the Aides get full benefits and a salary. So they get paid through breaks, holidays, & everything.

The subs get paid only on the days they work and zero benefits.

And if you're an aide and have a teaching cert, you can sub for any teacher in your building & get your pay bumped up to the sub pay for that day. So technically you'd be both a full-time Aide and part-time Sub :) Good way to get your name known in your building, at least, and hopefully get a full-time teaching gig when you're ready for it

So if I had to choose for myself, I'd go with Aide!

10. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Sep 2, 2015

Aide- its better on a resume, than a sub-

also consistency in schedule and what you are doing day to day then the unknown as a sub

11. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

Both have good points and I have done both (currently an aide now). I much prefer being an aide and find it more rewarding because I'm in a 'permanent' position---at least for the school year.

Aide pros:
    MUCH better working atmosphere
    Nice knowing where you'll be every day
    Reliable schedule
    A bit more money than subbing
    Full benefits
    Great if you really want to get hired at ONE school

Sub pros:
    Get foot in door at MANY schools
    Can work when you want
    Better experience working in multiple classrooms
    Better idea gauging what grade level you want to work with

Sub cons:
    Kids will try to get away with as much as possible!
    Students aren't able to build strong relationships with you because you're so transient.