TMJ

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Dec 11, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2012

Does anyone here have TMJ or know anyone with it?

It's basically a popping and pain in the jaw.

I've always been able to control my TMJ by not chewing gum, not eating chewy foods, etc. But about a week ago I went to the dentist and she replaced a filling. So I had my mouth open for a long time. Ever since then I have been in almost constant pain. It hurts to open my mouth even a little bit. I've been living off yogurt and smoothies. This morning I woke up and it feels like someone kicked me in my face.

Anyone have any advice or experiences?:help:

I took a few ibuprofen but I have a feeling it's not going to help anything.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2012

One of our teachers suffers from it. She had surgery last year and that has helped tremendously. She's away today, but I can ask her more tomorrow.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2012

Hmm good point! I have an appointment on Monday with my normal dentist in the USA. I decided to make one after this dentist here in CR told me I have eight cavities...:huh:

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 11, 2012

I was thinking the filling was too large and not ground down properly to allow you to have the same bite as before. If that is not it and TMJ has always been an issue, my youngest ended up getting a night guard. It doesn't allow the jaw to clench at night. It is a misnomer because it was to be worn at all times for a while.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2012

I probably have it. My jaw pops all the time. I can make it pop by opening my mouth certain ways. I remember having some pain a few times when I was younger, but I haven't had any pain in years. So I just haven't done anything about it! I probably should get it checked out!

I hope the pain gets better for you! Monday is a long ways away when you're in pain!

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2012

My ex had it, the dentist make her night guard (like a retainer) she said it really helped

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Dec 12, 2012

You could also try seeing a chiropractor.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

This sounds far-fetched but hubby used to have issues with his jaw pretty badly. Popping, sometimes he would wake up with his jaw locked in place, etc. Well, back in college, he decided to give up milk for unrelated reasons, and noticed that his issues with his jaw just went away. He hasn't had any problems since. I know it sounds weird but that's what ended up helping him.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

And, did you mean to link to a photo? :D

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2012

I have TMJ. Never had any problems til I got a crown. Dentist fitted it for a "proper" bite, not my actual bite. Lots of pain until I went to a different dentist who buzzed it down for me.