TMI maybe, but I need your opinion

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AMK, Mar 22, 2009.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

I am going for a colonoscopy on Friday morning - yipee, can't wait! I can't take any vitamins, asprin etc a week before. I came down with a cold yesterday and I am miserable. I took Tylenol cold but not sure if that is allowed. I know I can take Tylenol but not sure about the cold medicine. I am calling the doc tomorrow morning to find out, but what to do think?

3. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 22, 2009

I don't know about Tylenol, but I have a first-hand tip to save yourself from embarrassment afterward: Do not go out to eat afterward.

When my mother had hers done, I was her "ride" to and from the doctor's office. During the procedure, they pumped her full of air. After the procedure was finished, we went out for lunch.

And all that air came out in the restaurant. It was loud, and it was loooong. Looking back, I almost wish I had a stopwatch handy to time it. Now, my mother does not look like the type to do that sort of thing in public, so of course everyone in the restaurant thought I did it. :eek: :eek: :sorry:

MathManTim

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

Don't take anything without talking to the Doctor. You don't want to have to reschedule the thing.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

Thanks for the laugh Tim!!

6. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 22, 2009

No problem. So long as you're reasonably certain that there is nothing seriously wrong with you, colonoscopies are a near-endless source of humor. :thumb:

MathManTim

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2009

Your poor mom!

8. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 22, 2009

Don't worry, she actually thought it was hilarious, particularly when the rest of the restaurant thought it was me.

MathManTim

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2009

Apocryphally credited to Woodrow Wilson:

I sat with the Duchess at tea.
    It was just as I feared it would be:
    Her rumblings abdominal
    Were simply phenomenal -
    And everyone thought it was me.

10. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 22, 2009

:lol: :rofl: :toofunny:

MathManTim

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

Hahaha thats funny, thanks MathManTim, I will make sure to go home instead out to the diner.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2009

In the meantime, I would avoid any medication if possible. Drink tea with lemon, get lots of sleep and OJ and assorted other fluids-- all those home remedies until the doctor OKs something more potent.

Feel better!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2009

Feel better, AMK! You've had a run of health worries lately. Put your feet up tonight, drink that tea and lemon that alice suggested, pop in a movie and go to bed early! Sending you :hugs: hugs.

14. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

I have to have a colonoscopy done yearly. I have been lucky enough to be healthy (except for the problem that requires the yearly scopes), so I've never had to worry about it. I do take my regular maintenance meds until I begin the prep the day before. Tylenol is ok before then too, but no ibuprofen or aspirin. I'm just not sure about cold meds. I'd ask your Dr. before you take any more. I agree with those who recommend the tea/lemon. I hope you feel better soon! If you are too sick, they'll make you wait anyway to avoid problems with anesthesia.

15. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

I am amazed your mom felt like going out afterwards! I am always groggy and miserable after I have mine. Perhaps I'm a little bit on the wimpy side. I will be going in for my 4th one in 3 years this summer and I am already dreading it. I don't think I'll ever get used to the prep...or the after-air loss!:wub:

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

I went to my regular doc and I have an upper respiratory infection. Nothing really serious. My chest is clear and everything else is normal. She gave me a cough medicine but I am not going to take it. I really just have a runny nose. Lots of rest and tea and saline for my nose.

17. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Mar 23, 2009

I would certainly tell the doctor that you took something... hopefully it won't cause any trouble with the procedure.
    When my mother had her first one, there were apparently four or five others that were having them done as well - the "recovery" area had quite a symphony that day:D. Don't worry too much about having it done... I'm sure you'll be able to laugh about it later.

18. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

Reminds me--When I was in junior high I was taking a science test and the room was dead silent...sitting in the front of the room...I laughed at a question on the test--sure enough my air came out for a full 45 sec.--it was louder b/c the chair was plastic and I was not sitting on my leg. Made for a interesting 10 mins.--not to mention know one finished the test that day.

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

Well I postponed it till next week, now off to take medicine and vitamins