Title One Interview- Suggestions!?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Alisha, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 30, 2011

I just got called for an interview for a sixth grade title one position. I am familiar with the school having student taught there several years ago. I also just finished a year teaching sixth grade at a different school in the same district. Those things being said, I'm also aware that there is still a lot more I can do to help myself get this job. Primarily, I have never interviewed for a Title job before, so I'm not sure what job-specific type questions they will ask me. Does anyone have any suggestions or input?

I'm assuming they will ask if I understand the purpose of a title position. As far as I'm aware, it is to help give students (usually from low socioeconomic backgrounds) skills, specifically in organization and vocabulary, that they need to succeed. Please correct me if I am wrong! Specifically though, I don't know what really goes into a title position. Can anyone help me out?!

I really appreciate any advice anyone has for me! Thank you so much!

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 30, 2011

Any websites I could look at or anything at least??

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 30, 2011

At any school I've been at, Title 1 is for struggling readers. I wouldn't mention "low socioeconomic background" if I were you. The funds do go to schools with low SES, but I wouldn't want to sound like I thought only low SES kids were struggling readers or something like that. Any student can participate in title 1 regardless of their individual SES background if it is offered at their school. You would most likely be working on both phonics/decoding and comprehension.

From my experience, a title 1 teacher will pull small groups of students throughout the day for extra reading help. In any school I've seen, they've follwed a specific program such as reading recovery, intervention by design, etc. The title 1 teacher would be expected to have advanced knowledge on how to help students who are struggling with reading and aren't getting what they need in the regular classroom. They will probably ask you about what kinds of intervention strategies you will use with these students. These are students who are behind but aren't special ed.

In many schools (including mine) title 1 is also used a tier 2 intervention for RtI. So the title 1 teacher would see the student for 6-8 weeks and monitor their progress. If the student wasn't making much progress, they would be referred to a tier 3 intervention with me (special ed teacher). A smart question to ask might be if/how you will be involved in your school's RtI process.

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

Everything you said makes perfect sense, thank you. I think a lot of it was stuff I knew, but I needed it to be said to me to refresh my thinking. I taught reading with the same curriculum at my old school, so I'm sure that I will just need to go more in depth with intervention strategies in my interview.

I was thinking more about the SES thing before I read your response and of course you are right, it is based of the school, not specific students, silly me!:)

Thanks again, for your response.

7. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

Oh and that is a GREAT question to ask, thank you for suggesting that!