Title I vs. Trad. Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Fairborn, May 5, 2014.

1. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

May 5, 2014

Found out today that I'm being taken out of my fifth grade classroom as they are reducing down to two fifth grade rooms. I make the least money in the school and am second to the lowest in seniority. However, I am one darn good fifth grade teacher and have the scores to prove it -- along with great student loyalty and fondness in an urban school district.

Tell me why I should be happy to be a Title I teacher next year. I already know I should be happy to have a job.

Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2014

You shoud be happy because you are one darn good fifth grade teacher and have the scores to prove it -- along with great student loyalty and fondness in an urban school district...you will make a difference with yor new students too. They need you.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 5, 2014

I think teaching reading is fun.

In the Title 1 classrooms, you usually get to work with small groups, which means you really get to target each student's needs in a way that you couldn't in a gen. ed classroom.

You'll get to teach a variety of ages, which will keep the day interesting and give you experience that may help when you are moving on to another job.

Since you're a good teacher, you'll be able to serve your students well. Title 1 deals with the lowest level students, and they will stretch your abilities to help the students who need you the most.

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 5, 2014

Not to sound dumb, but what is a title one classroom? It has been my understanding that a school or district can by title one based on the number of kids on free or reduced lunch, but I've never heard of a title one classroom.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 6, 2014

I am not going to lie and say that for sure you will enjoy the change.

I do think Title 1 does have some benefits. Since you are a very good teacher, you can really help these students out who are struggling to read. I know someone very well, who had one teacher who was similar to a Title 1 teacher, who taught him to read and it changed his life.

Also, you probably have less admin in your way.

Also, you will have smaller groups of students to work with which can be great.

7. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 7, 2014

I've taught in an affluent private school, and am now in a Title I school. The parents and children here are, for the most part, grateful for what I do for the students and not hanging their money or prestige over my head.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 7, 2014

There is a difference between a Title 1 school and a Title 1 classroom. I've only worked in Title 1 schools, but I've never taught in a Title 1 classroom.

In my district, Title 1 teachers do small group instruction for low-level students in reading and math and they have to be certified in reading or math to do so. At my school, this is done during pullouts a few times a week. The students in the program do not have IEPs and still receive their normal English and Math classes. Students are chosen based on test scores/academics and the program is optional (parents have to sign a consent form).

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 7, 2014

At my school, the benefits of being a Title 1 teacher is that you get to work with small groups of kids and you don't have to deal with a whole classroom of kids.

But, at my school, our Title 1 teachers are often used as subs and are asked to take on extra Admin duties since they only perform "pull outs." Sometimes, it seems like they spend more time doing Admin requested tasks then actually working with their students.