Title 1/At-Risk/Support teachers...please help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Aug 20, 2014.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 20, 2014

I'm new to the whole realm of being support staff instead of a classroom teacher. I have been bored out of my mind these first few days of PD and with students. I feel like I'm missing something or should have more to do. The other support teachers say I'm fine and that there is nothing to do, but this is such a waste of time at the beginning of the school year.

Luckily I start testing students tomorrow, so that will keep me occupied for a day or two. Hopefully early next week I'll start seeing students. I know it will get better, but I like being busy so this is killing me!!!!

What do you do to fill your time before you start seeing students?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2014

I always asked if classroom teachers needed any help, helped in the office when they were busy, etc.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 21, 2014

I hate the beginning of the school year for this reason. I am typically expected to just go "help out" my students in classes, meaning I basically stand around and watch other people teach all day. Gen ed teachers aren't really covering much content yet, because they're still working on procedures, rules, etc. I also end up babysitting K students who are crying, can't follow the routine, or are huge behavior problems. I am always bored out of my mind.

5. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 22, 2014

I am the opposite, I appreciate the easing into the school year. In May when the classroom teachers are getting done, we are super busy in Title with year end reports, paperwork, etc.