'Tis the Season: Over the top prom invitations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 18, 2014

Have you had these this year, yet? A boy or girl plans an elaborate way to invite someone to prom? We have.

It can be cute, but the backfire (i.e. the answer is no, person wants to say no) can be not so cute.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

One of the best parts of elementary school is not having to deal with anything resembling a prom. Even in high school, I never got the big deal about it. The only reason I even went is because one of my cast mates in the musical senior year was sad about nobody asking her to go.

From a strictly schaudenfreude standpoint, I would find it kind of amusing to watch somebody plan an elaborate way to ask somebody to prom, and then get rejected. I mean, I'd feel bad for the kid doing the asking... but some things are better kept private (and odds are the person doing the rejecting would be at least as mortified over it).

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

Thank God we don't have prom (or dances, etc) at my school, since it's small, it's a court school and 90 % are boys. The prom would be interesting.

I think an elaborate invitation is cute and reasonable if you know the other person will accept it. So a boyfriend asking his girlfriend this way can be romantic, etc. and there won't be a rejection. But taking a chance otherwise is a bad idea.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2014

That's the norm at my dd's school too and not just for prom. They ask in elaborate ways for any "formal type" dance like Homecoming. DD was asked to homecoming and didn't really want to go but they boy put so much effort into the asking that she felt she had to say yes.:mellow:

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 18, 2014

When did this whole thing start? I graduated high school almost 14 years ago, and these elaborate things were unheard of.

7. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Jan 18, 2014

I think it's because of the internet. You see amazing proposals/invitations everywhere and guys think that's what girls want (and some girls probably get high expectations!)

I've seen a couple complex invitations but not in the middle of class. Certainly none of those ridiculous flash mobs on Youtube :lol: Then again, maybe I'll see more now that I'm a senior. Our prom isn't until May.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 18, 2014

I think prom in general has gotten over the top and ridiculous. The amount of money that kids (or their families) are expected to spend is beyond reasonable, even without these elaborate invitations.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 18, 2014

I agree. Our students seem to worry more about promenade (think red carpet runway) than they do the dinner and the dance. It's all about who can come up with the most original way to get to promenade. And, most of girls spend a fortune on dresses!

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 19, 2014

I think shows like My Super Sweet 16 and Made (there was often a big event the person was preparing for) have added fuel to the fire. They made it seem normal to have over-the-top parties. I always thought it was a waste to buy a dress for $$$ that you would spend a few hours in at most.

11. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jan 19, 2014

When I was in high school, prom was all anyone seemed to care about for four months straight, it was ridiculous. There was so much drama about dates, who was sitting at what table, pre and post parties, dresses, makeup, hair, etc. Looking back, it really wasn't something to get all that worked up about, haha, and life would have been a lot easier if there wasn't one at all.

12. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 19, 2014

Unfortunately, the parents who were those obsessive prom attendees would absolutely freak out if their children didn't have the same opportunity to be vapid, self-absorbed individuals.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2014

That became a "thing" in the high school I went to after I graduated, I think it came from kids seeing it happen on reality TV shows. So glad it wasn't like that when I was in HS. I know a kid who go suspended because he cut class to go watch his friend do some elaborate asking scheme. It's ridiculous if you ask me.