Tired....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by l_ung123, Nov 8, 2006.

1. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

Tired and ready to completely give up! It's to the point where when I do get an interview I don't want to tell anyone because then they'll ask if I got the job and I would have to say no and be reminded that I might not find a job anytime in the near future. I'm tired of getting my hopes up. I get compliments about my teaching abilities by other teachers and principals when I sub, but why can't I find a full time position?

I interviewed with one principal who sounded like he really liked me and even said I was a strong candidate, but wasn't offered the position. Instead he said the position went to someone else, but he had a long term subbing position for me. Great, right? I get second place! Wrong, the district won't let me sub for them because I have to go through orientation first and the next one isn't until January! Just my freaking luck! I love what I do, but if you think a teacher's salary stinks think about how much a sub gets paid (even if you work every school day)! Thanks for letting me vent :tired:

3. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

re: where are you?

Just wondering...which district are you in?

4. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

i work in oc

5. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

Me, too. Jobs are hard to come by here. They're letting teachers go, in fact. Santa Ana went from year 'round to traditional so they let go of about 14 teachers, I heard. Anaheim City is getting ready for all of its schools to go traditional (most are already).

I hear that a lot of teachers get jobs by long-term subbing and then backing into the position that way.

Which grades do you want to teach?

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2006

How long have you been subbing for? This is my third year...and I know many people that have been doing it for longer. Hang in there!

7. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

hope037:
    I prefer primary grade, but at this point I'll take whatever they'd offer =( which district are you with? I'm currently with Wesminster School District and trying to get into Orange Unified. In addition to schools going back on the traditional calender most districts have gotten rid of the 20:1 which is sad because the students are the ones who'll be suffering.

Which district are you at?

TeacherC:
    I've been subbing for a year.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

I_ung123: Southern Cal is really going through a lot right now in terms of low_enrollment. I couldn't find a job in public school to save my life, and ended up taking a job in private for a lot less. It seems there's more of a need for single_subject credentialed teachers specifically in the areas of math, science, special ed, and in some cases english. Once you have your multiple-subjects credential, you can add on certification by passing the appropriate CSET examination. I am seriously considering doing this. For all the "talk" of a so-called teacher shortage, it seems like dual certification is the name of the game. Believe me, it doesn't excite me in the least bit to go back and add more to my credential. Just getting my clear in multiple subjects was like climbing Mt. Everest! However, I have to think of my future. Hang in there, it will get better. Oh, and yes I subbed with LAUSD for 5 years. This business is all about persistence, not giving up, and patience. Hang in there. :)

9. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

i really feel like i'm not going to find anything and i don't really hate playing the waiting game during the summer. it sucks!!!

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

I_ung123: Forgive me if you've already been asked this: but have you considered re-locating? I realize you might not be able to. :( I just hear there's a lot of jobs in AZ right now, as well as Nevada. I was just talking to a friend of mine who teaches for Long Beach Unified. She feels strongly that the education_pendulum will shift again in another couple of years. I know, not exactly music to your ears. However, it still means that things WILL change, just not right this second. I know how you feel. I mean, when you want something really bad and it's just not happening, you think about it more and more until you want to scream. Try, if you can, and find other things to divert your attention. Just don't be too hard on yourself. It's not you, just the climate of jobs in teaching right now. It will get better.

11. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

I'm in Fullerton School District. I heard that next year, there will be a lot of retirements in Anaheim City. You might consider that district. Anaheim City always needs new subs and it will look first at the sub pool for filling in open positions next fall. I applied and got hired but never went to the orientation because so far Fullerton keeps me plenty busy. I might make myself available just to make new connections at that district.

Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but you might want to check into the salary schedules. For some reason, I got the impression that Orange Unified does not pay as well as other districts (starting salaries).

I didn't know that to get your single subject credential, all you needed was the appropriate CSET. You're right about the need for math and science teachers! But I don't want to teach that nor do I care to teach upper grades beyond 5th. I'd love to have a second grade class because of the smaller class size.

I am thinking about getting my special ed credential, too. Anything to make myself more marketable. Plus, well, I do have a special place in my heart for the special needs kids.

12. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 11, 2006

I've heard that Orange Unified is BAD. I think they've had 7 or 8 Supts. in like 8 years. Don't know if it's true. Also, the salaries are rock bottom.

13. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Nov 12, 2006

l_ung123, I can really sympathize with you and am so tired of hearing "no" too. I, like you, have been interviewed by many principals and HR people who liked me and felt I was a strong candidate but who ultimately chose to offer the job to someone else. So see, you're definitely not alone in this.

If you ever need to talk privately, PM me. My inbox is always open.

Please don't give up. I had someone willing to hire me recently, but due to the hours, I had to turn it down. If one person out there was willing to hire me then I need to think positive - so are others. :)

14. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

That's a great attitude! Plus, it's true.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 12, 2006

My husband is in the tech field and he lost his job, got rehired 2 months later. Then he got laid off a year later again. Then he went a month looking for somethng else. He took a contract job with a HUGE pay cut (20k). He had a max 2 year contract. In the mean time he put in applications EVERYWHERE. THen after 1 1/2 years he had to start looking out of state. Now we are in a different state. I guess my point is this, jobs can be hard to find in many fields. Sometimes you may have to consider looking elsewhere. Just my 2 cents. You have to evaluate yourself.

16. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

I agree that jobs can be hard to find in any field, but I feel like it's especially hard in the teaching field. We basically have a "hiring season" and right now the competition is extremely high compare to five years ago.

I'm already relocating although its not a big move nonetheless it's a move. I currently live in a L.A. county, but I'm trying to find something in OC so I can move out that way and truthfully I don't know if I can live anywhere further than 2 hours away from my family, let me rephrase that I basically don't want to leave California. I love it here.

It's nice to here from people in the same situation at least I know it's not me and I'm not the only one. Thanks for the support and venting along with me!

17. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

I haven't heard anything bad or good about Orange Unified, I just know that they're a pretty big district and I would have a better chance getting hire there than at a smaller one. Starting salary there is a bit lower than most districts, but I think it jumps 3-4k after the first year. On top of that I have graduate units that would really help me on the pay scale.

Have you heard anything else about the district? Please fill me in. Thanks! :)

18. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 12, 2006

No, nothing else. But you've got to figure there are problems with so many changes in leadership in just a few years. I'd call that a red flag, wouldn't you?

Salaries aren't a bit lower. They are currently at THE bottom, but I hear their union is trying to radify this as we speak. Good luck. I have a master's degree and figure it will probably work against me, when they can hire another person for less. Good luck!!!

19. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Nov 12, 2006

You can move to find work and probably could find permanent work if you moved, but not everyone can move or wants to move as in your case. If you look at the recent poll asking others whether theey believe there's a shortage or not, most will say there's a surplus - not a shortage. So given that, it can technically amount to being difficult no matter where you are.

Like I said, one person took an interest in me and was going to extend an offer. She can't be the only one out there. You just have to keep perservering.