Tired of Office Politics

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tedster, Oct 13, 2010.

1. tedster

tedster New Member

Oct 13, 2010

I realize now what scummy administrators I work with and how they're gleefully making my life miserable, or at least trying their level best.
    I would like to break my contract and just leave the public education system behind. It's not because of the job, it's the retaliatory behavior of people in charge. They don't get better work out of me through harassment.
    Is anyone else in the same frame of mind these days (or has been) and can help me get clarity on what to do. It seems I can't quit because I will have my license retained so I can't work elsewhere.
    I'm not a teacher; support staff.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2010

There are mean and nasty people wherever you go. I think you'd be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire if you quit your job because of a few bad people, especially in this economy.

Out of curiosity, do you need a license to be support staff where you work?

4. tedster

tedster New Member

Oct 13, 2010

I don't think I want to go into details, but we're talking lowest of the low. I don't think my health would be the same after another several months of putting up with the utter b.s. I've got union representation and they've reassured me that my observations are accurate.
    Certificate, not license.
    I'm thinking of claiming a need to take care of sick mother. I just want out of the madness.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2010

So quit then.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

Whatever works for you to get out of that situation. It sounds fairly serious. You don't want your health to be affected by a job. I don't agree with staying in a job where it affects your health. Maybe instead of getting away from education altogether you could find a different district?

7. tedster

tedster New Member

Oct 13, 2010

I took the position in a tight economy when there were few options available. I did something smart in calling the union beforehand to get an idea about the district. They warned me away, but I really needed a job. I've done good work in my time here and enjoyed the company of some wonderful people, but the admin had a very bad rep. Looking back, and if it serves as a tip to others, I would not take this job, if I had to do it over again.
    I'm wondering if anyone has negotiated their way out of a contract before. I've never considered it before.

8. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 17, 2010

I'm a teacher, but in our district, if there is a strong reason and union support, you can generally transfer to a different but equally paying position. It might take a couple of months and by going through the process, admin would hate you for it, but it might be a better alternative than quitting outright. If it's possible in your district.