Tired of no time to eat

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Marci07, Jul 31, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

My district consistently ranks highly on state standardized tests and other measures, so it's working for us. I'm sure we meet state requirements for student contact time, but it's the QUALITY of that time that matters.

2. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 2, 2012

Wow, and here I thought 30 minutes of eating while grading papers was a gift.

Having to choose between eating or using the restroom and then not having a break until the end of the day seems inhumane.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for subtly saying you must be a better teacher than I am. I was talking about how hard if must be for you to fit everything in, and commenting on how different the requirements are in each state. I'm sorry you took it some other way, as it seems you did.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2012

Our lunch is now only TWENTY minutes. I am so frustrated. We know that's more like ten, at best. And good luck getting to the microwave in time.

Wow. :(

And poor students. How many will barely get to touch their food?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

I really believe that all these ridiculously short lunch times are having a negative effect on the health of our students. I just can't believe that it's healthy to basically binge eat, cramming in food just to get it down in a handful of minutes.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2012

I agree. I have already read study summaries explaining that with shorter lunches students consume fewer nutrients and trash more food.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2012

That doesn't surprise me at all. Last year our kids (especially the younger ones) barely ate anything in the 20 minute lunch period. It took at least 10 minutes to get through the line, and if it was backed up for some reason, some kids would literally have 3-4 minutes to eat. They throw SO much away. If I ever have kids, I will be sending them with lunch every day so they don't have to go through the line.

In my new school, kids only have 15 minutes! Plus, it's by grade level and we have WAY more kiddos eating lunch at once than my previous school did in their 20 minute period. We have 4 classes per grade level, so about 100 kids going through the line all at the same time. Since we're mostly free/reduced lunch, I doubt many kids pack. We also are supposed to have "breakfast in the classroom" each morning, but my kids go to specials at 9:05 with school starting at 9:00! There is absolutely no way that's happening...:dizzy:

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2012

Fifteen minutes? What the ?!

Is there a reason why teachers do not legally have a (minimum) thirty minute lunch?

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2012

We do have 30 minutes, b/c the kids have 15 minutes of recess as well. It's in our contract that it has to be duty-free because of our union. However, my last school was non-union and many of us didn't have 30 duty-free minutes.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2012

Since I'm not a classroom teacher, I have some flexibility in when & for how long my lunch is. I can take my lunch at 11am for 45 min one day, for example, & the next day could be at 12:15 for an hour if it works that way. I'm kind of my own boss in a few ways.

For those who have less than 30 min, I don't know how they can legally do that. 30 min is bad enough. By the time you walk to/from a bit, go to the restroom, & actually eat, time's up. Well...I guess that's all lunchtime at work is meant for! :)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

I'm not sure that every state requires employers to give a 30-minute break. Especially when many teacher contracts are less than 8 hours, I can see how schools can get away with not giving time for lunch.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

In Chicago until the upcoming school year, we had a 45 minute duty free lunch, it just was the 45 minutes AFTER school, so for me 2:45.

I am happy it is being moved to the middle of the day, but sad about how early our start time will be!

13. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

So I am not a teacher right now. I haven't been able to find a teaching job. My current job is working as a cashier at Whole Foods. I was thinking the bathroom breaks & lunch would be better than with teaching, however we don't get any breaks, just like my last teaching job (no breaks and no lunch at a preschool). Now I work 4 hours straight and all while standing in the same position (never sitting). We get 30 minute paid lunch for an 8 hour day with no breaks. When you need to eat, go to the restroom, and try to rest your feet, 30 minutes isn't long enough. Then we work another 3 1/2 without a break.

I do really enjoy my job right now, while I am waiting for the teaching market to open up, but it would be so much better if I recieved two 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. I would feel so much better physically as would the rest of the workers! I would love to be able to take care of my basic human functions while at work. You know what I mean! :)