Tired of hearing this...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Mar 22, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 22, 2010

This really burns me up.

So not true...

I'm so tired of people listening to a ranting maniac on TV or radio and then regurgitating a bunch of bad info.

3. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

Well, some teacher apparently really let the writer of this rant down- just look at the spelling and grammar, let alone the deficiencies of reasoning! No wonder he's overflowing with resentment.

Seriously, though I am not one to cast the blame for this situation on teachers, it's pretty clear that our educational SYSTEM is not working very well. It would be a lot easier to get public support for it if the results were better. Is lack of public support one of the big reasons the system isn't working? Sure. Still, in order to turn things around, we have to find better ways to serve the public interest.

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

Not only is the grammar terrible, but Toms River lost 9.8 Million out of their budget.

We lost $800,000 from ours. 2 teachers have been cut so far. It's sad and scary. Especially since the teacher we are losing is a special education teacher who is amazing.

We had teachers crying at our faculty meeting today because the cuts are sad and ultimately bad for the children. We had to cut our entire basketball program. It's going to be devastating to kids who have been hoping to make the team for years.

Hopefully I'll have a job next year, but right now it's not looking good.

And honestly, I think paying 1.5% for health insurance is very reasonable, but that's just me.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2010

It is a scary time for all of us in education. Even with nine years in the system, I'm scared for my job next year. My school only has 30 teachers and the budget crisis could cause us to lose 12-15. That's half of our staff. We are all scared and we aren't even listening to this guy you're talking about. The teachers with only 5 years or less are really worried.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

Christie's budget cuts are absolutely ridiculous, but teachers SHOULD pay at least a small amount towards health insurance.

7. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

They pay quite a bit in this district- and if they add a spouse it's about a quarter of a new hire's salary.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

I"m not real familiar with NJ politics.

But I can see the writer's point.

The cuts have to effect every part of the budget-- there are no sacred cows, not even education. Each and every special interest group feels that its priorities should be the exception.

Should there be health care cuts? Education cuts? Cuts in funding to the food banks? Cuts in monies to fix the infrastructure?

Exactly WHERE should the cuts be??
    Everywhere, of course. Including education.

What we need to do is FIX THE ECONOMY and stop bickering about which areas should have priority over others.

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Fixing the economy by stealing from our pensions is not the answer though.

My friend, who is an amazing resource room teacher was cut today. :(

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Mar 23, 2010

Alice- Absolutely. There should be no exception during hard times. Everyone has to sacrifice in order to pull us out of this hole.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

Again, I'm not from NJ and didn't realize that pensions were being ransacked. I was replying to the quote that dealt with teacher layoffs.

12. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Could we start with the bankers and insurance companies that got us into this mess? How about Wall street? Oh wait, we gave them a TRILLION DOLLARS!

13. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Actually, for those who don't know, NJ teachers got hit with a lot all at once. State mandated contribution of 1.5% to health benefits, over 8% reduction in pension, state not having to pay what they should to the pension fund (not like they were anyway), limit on retirement payouts for sick leave, retirement pension based on last 5 years rather than 3, a lot of negatives for new employees and part-timers...oh, and budget cuts at the same time. Which is great considering my school is not making AYP -- now we have to restructure with less money, and probably less teachers and resources. AND they have a bill to have a residency requirement for teachers in the works. Plus the Gov wants a pay freeze. Individually, maybe not so bad, but anyone has to admit it's a bit overwhelming at once -- I don't think any NJ teacher feels too comfy right now -- more like waiting for the other shoe to fall.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

Ah. Around here they pay nothing.

But i'm in Monmouth County, where everyone thinks they can afford everything

15. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

For those who aren't familiar with NJ politics:

For 11 out of the last 15 years, the state of NJ hasn't paid into the teachers' pension system while teachers have paid their share plus upgraded the amount they put in. Teachers are making the sacrifice, yet the 4 years the state paid in, the amount was far below what was legally required.
    The new governor is a bully who is raking teachers over the coals...it's one thing to require a sharing of healthcare costs, I think most teachers 'get it'. We live in NJ, we know the economy is terrible and this man was elected to help get the 'fiscal house' in order...BUT, to lambaste teachers, verbally attack them in nearly every speech he gives, writing letters to newspapers about how parents shouldn't believe teachers when they say they care about their children? That's inexcusable.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

rob- click the link for Christie's letter. He sent it to Keshishian on March 23. I saw her at a legislative dinner on the 24th- she had not yet received the letter, however it was already in the newspapers.

18. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

with that kind of attitude you're lucky anyone would hire you for any job - jeeeez buddy

19. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 27, 2010

Who are you talking to?

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

To whom are you referring? The gov?