Tired of being compared to That Teacher!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 21, 2012

So, apparently the teacher I replaced was 'phenomenal.' Ok, I can deal with that. Good for her. But, I'm not her! My P brings her up at every opportunity - at our first meeting, at the teacher meetings, at my informal. In her classroom, she had the rules posted here... she had the books in baskets, blah blah
    She would have the students do this and that...

Maybe I should follow her lesson plans to a tee too? Would that make you happy? :eek:hmy:

3. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Sep 21, 2012

Don't do that, but DO take the gist of what they are saying. Your P very well could be giving you constructive criticism, or an outline of what is expected of you buried in these comments. Even if they are just friendly suggestions, if your P is giving them you would be wise to take them.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2012

Congrats on getting a job, Milsey. You would be well advised to follow the P's suggestions.

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 21, 2012

Congrats on the job first of all. I would try to not take the comments to heart too much. Yes, take them as advice/an opportunity to connect with your P and impress her/him. However, do your thing! It's your class, your year and ultimately your job. You are the one who has to teach it.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 21, 2012

From previous posts, it sounds like you needed some support last year. I find most people offer suggestions to be helpful. Since a principal is there to support the teachers, I would suggest you consider his/her advice. I'm not a 'phenomenal' teacher, but I do the things you have been advised to do. It sounds like good practice.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 22, 2012

Maybe you should take her tips as opportunities for improvement. Posting up your rules is simply good practice, not a denigrating comparison.

No one has to be stuck in their current teaching ability if you're willing to try to improve.

8. Teach Me

Teach Me New Member

Sep 22, 2012

When You Compare You Despair

At my school, teachers are often compared to each other by the administration. The admin post all our testing scores on the wall in our conference room for all to see, and they email out how each teacher does on spot observations. I despise this practice because it only breeds hostility and hurt feelings.

I once heard the quote: "When you compare you despair!" A person can't live an abundant life if they are constantly being compared to others. Nor can we enjoy life if we compare ourselves to others abilities, physical appearance, etc.

I've learned that we each must run our own race, and that we each have something positive to contribute to the world.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 22, 2012

I just replaced a very successful, and very popular, retired teacher as well. One of the first things my P told me was "Mrs. X achieved 100% on her Algebra EOG's (end of grade) tests the last 3 years in a row." The P also commented on how popular Mrs. X was and how well run her classes were. She did add "I know you are not Mrs. X and I don't expect you to be, but I thought it might be a good idea if you wanted to contact her and get some tips to see how she was so successful."

I wasn't offended or angry over the comparison because, frankly, the comparison is legitimate. Those are the results the previous teacher achieved, so it's only natural those are the same results the P and the school would expect from me.

I took the P's advice and sent an email to the former teacher to see if we could meet. So far, I haven't heard back from her. I can't blame her, though. She worked day and night for many years to achieve those results, but now she is retired, so I can certainly understand why she would not want to talk about school anymore. :lol:

In the meantime, I do the best job I can and as I try to build my own reputation.

10. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Sep 22, 2012

You might want to talk to your admin about this. This may in fact be a breach of employment law. I'm certainly not a legal expert but I have experience in running small to medium sized companies (with up to 700 employees). A person's HR file is generally considered to be confidential and others only have access to the files on a "need to know" basis. They would do well to get legal advice on this issue (if they haven't already). This appears to be a serious violation (based on the limited information in your post) of employee right's laws (or would be in the states I have worked in).

One disclaimer: my prior experience was in the private sector. Don't know if being a government or state employee would affect the above statements.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2012

This, to me, is appalling.

To the OP - It is always difficult to start a new position. I know that, at times, I feel very overwhelmed trying to meet expectations, organize myself, and settle into a routine. If someone has advice for you and gives it in a respectful manner, I would take it. This is especially true if it's your principal. Last year, my principal told me everything was great all year and then at the end of the year eval, he mentioned some things that I should have done differently. Um, how is this helpful to me 2 days before the last day of school? If there are issues, I want to know them immediately so I can fix them. Therefore, I think it's great that your principal has feedback for you now while you can still do something about it.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

It's easy to feel defensive when you're being compared to another teacher, but try to see that the P is probably trying to help you.
    Of course it also depends on exactly what he said. If you don't have any rules posted in the classroom, and he said the other teacher did, well, you probably should, too. and not because she did, but because it's good practice. But if you have rules posted, and the P says the teacher had them posted on the other wall, well that is just probably not a big deal.

The same thing about the books in baskets. If that was a system that worked great (everything organized, kids knew where to find them, replace them, etc) and you don't have any system in place, then might as well follow what worked in the past. It's either that, or come up with another great system.

Chances are the P is trying to help you and not making you feel that you're subpar. It's too early for that :)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

Milsey...perhaps the principal is aware of all the difficulties and questions about your performance you have had in your last few jobs. Be thankful you have this chance to start over and recoup from all that. View his advice as a way to get you on the right track. His suggestions hardly seem out of the ordinary in terms of classroom mgt and organization.

14. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Giving advice is not the problem. That's the principal's job. It's the comparison that's the problem. That would drive me nuts too. Yuck.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

We can all learn from great teachers. Take what your P says with a grain of salt. Do use the good ideas and start making a great name for yourself.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

Like others are saying, in my district, this would be completely unacceptable and a grievance issue.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

He truly might be trying to help you with suggestions, but I understand how you could take it personal. Try to just take it for what it is and if there's room for improvement then go ahead and try it. :)