Tired of Behavior Issues

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderMissN, Feb 25, 2008.

1. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Feb 25, 2008

I am having major issues with behavior in my classroom lately. The girls are mean and catty towards one another and just about always at eachother's throats. During teaching time, the class interrupts and is very rude to me. I have a couple that just refuse to listen to me throughout the day. HELP! I am tired of this. It is worse than at the beginning of the year. Any suggestions or tips to try?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2008

Go back to the beginning and review rules and procedures over and over until they get it. Do you have classroom meetings in the morning/afternoon? Maybe you can start implementing them and discuss with the students how they want the classroom to be like. You could discuss the exact behaviors they are exhibiting. Have the students role play appropriate ways to handle it and inappropriate ways to handle it and discuss why its important to do the right thing.

Just 3 more months!

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008

Are you sure you aren't in my class. It's not just the girls though, it's boys too. They just walk up to one another and hit each other. My class is talking non stop and the ones that aren't talking are all off on another planet. They have all tuned me out. I can tell them one thing and then the very next moment they are back to doing whatever pleases them. Gosh spring break can not come fast enough for me.

5. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 25, 2008

I think you're in my room. My girls are catty, my boys are just plain mean. Everybody talks right over the top of me and they talk non-stop. They interrupt when I'm teaching, play with each other when I'm teaching, and do everything they can to disrupt the lesson. Those who aren't playing are off in the ozone. I only have 2 or 3 kids that actively participate in the lesson.
    They have started ignoring the whistle to line up at recess. They just do whatever pleases them.
    I can't wait for spring break!!
    I guess that wasn't much help to the OP, was it? :)

6. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Feb 27, 2008

It does help. It makes me feel like I'm not alone. However, yesterday got worse. Earlier this year, I had some threatening students. I talked to them and it seemed to stop. It has picked up again and has come back worse! I am in a charter school, so the victim of the threats may be withdrawing. I feel guilty and like I failed him. But, he didn't tell me at school when these threats happened, and mom told be after the fact. I can't help but feel guilty.

7. MrH

MrH Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

Be consistant and enforce your rules! Don't be afraid to send them out of your room if they aren't behaving to your expectations

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

Well that would be good if we could get some more consistent help with what is expected outside out rooms. Our ISS/behavior issue teacher is only helpful to us kinder teachers if she all ready has students in her room. Other than that she makes all kinds of excuses not to help us. It makes us kinder teachers feel like second class people because we aren't worthy of her help.:mad:

9. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Feb 27, 2008

Sending them out of our rooms is a joke. There is no where to send them, except to another teacher's room (and then that's unfair to her!) I have been consistent and I have enforced the rules-- but these children come from homes with no rules, so there is almost no enforcement there either. So they come to school doing all the wild things they do at home. Fun stuff. :-/

10. Ksmiles

Ksmiles New Member

Feb 27, 2008

I know I'm not really helping you, but it feels so good to know that there are other teachers out there having the same problems as me! I have a class with 30 students, and when they all talk, it gets very loud in there. This week, 3 of my students have decided to push the limits and act out in the classroom -- making noises, constantly getting out of their seat, not doing their work, etc. I didn't let one of them go to the puppet show we had today because he was acting so terrible and rude. So his dad comes to me this afternoon and can't seem to understand why I would do that. He actually told me that maybe if I were a little nicer to his kid, maybe he wouldn't act up like that. Hello?! Maybe if your kid followed the rules and didn't run around the classroom like a wild animal... I digress... Anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

11. MrH

MrH Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

somtimes the parents are just as bad as the kids! I had a mom (who is a little umm.. different) stick her hand through the fence (don't know why). Her hand got stuck and she started screaming, "MY HAND IS STUCK IN THE FENCE!!" in front of my whole class! She was acting just like a kindergartener...screaming for attention. She eventually got it out by herself, but it just goes to realize what home life must be like... and how that type of life transfers into our classrooms

12. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

Work on building a community of learners in your class. Have the kids make rules to follow to be a community.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2008

I found myself "succumbing??" to "rest your heads"...I could not take it...I was starting a lesson, rang the bell and they just wouldn't stop talking; so I told them "forget it; we're not going to do anything but rest our heads". All heads went down, I stood there and watched...no talking...and when all was nice and quiet, I told them to lift their leads and let's start.
    Sometimes you gotta do something to get their attention; hey it worked for me.

14. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 28, 2008

I have stooped to the "rest your heads" too. It just gets to the point where I cannot talk over them so I don't even try. I just have them put their heads down and wait until they are quiet and calm again.

15. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 1, 2008

Maybe you could have them " make up the time". If 3 or 4 kids are fooling around when you are doing circle, tell them they will have to make up that time at recess or free play, or whenever the rest of the class (who were behaving) is doing something fun. The misbehaving ones can "redo" sitting in circle and make up the time. That way, they can "practice" the correct way to sit in circle! If you have kids who absolutely can not go from one place to another without pushing, pulling, running, etc. Those 4 kids have to practice walking in a line with you for a time, before they get to go to free play. It would be especially effective if they could see the other kids having a good time, while they had to "practice" appropriate behavior with you!

16. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Mar 1, 2008

What a great idea about making up the time!!! I think it will be much more effective than just having them sit out for a certain amount of time. Maybe they will actually see how following rules and procedures will benefit them in the long run. That is the most difficult part of dealing with young children (and most older children) is that they don't realize that it benefits them to just follow the rules. Oh that it were so simple!!

17. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Mar 2, 2008

That is a great idea. I emphasize that circle times and lessons are my time-- and that if they cannot use it the right way, I take away their time (at centers or recess). But I hadn't thought of using that time to rehearse acceptable behaviors.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

These are some great ideas. Let me add a few too.

1. Look for triggers (such as transitions)
    2. Be extra consistent and nip things early
    3. Don't forget to use your teacher look as needed
    4. Stop and pause and then talk to the whole group
    5. Step up the game if needed
    6. Consider a group behavior system (rather than individual)
    7. Praise often