tips on scheduling

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by justlive, Aug 7, 2018.

1. justlive

justlive New Member

Aug 7, 2018

Hello! I am a new special education teacher. I will be co-teaching and doing pull out this year. I am very worried about creating my schedule. Ive been looking for advice but it all seems to be on self-contained classrooms. So far I have just written down the hours my kids need but idk where to go from there. An tips for starting out?

3. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 7, 2018

I don't know exactly what it is you are pulling out for or your exact situation but I can tell you how I worked it out for my reading students this summer.

The first thing I did (same as you) was see how often I needed to take them. I then checked to see if there were times during the day that I absolutely could not pull them out from. I then looked at my schedule to see when would be the best times to take students and plugged them in.

It takes some time and a few redos, but you'll get there. I recommend creating a table on Word or Google Docs so that you can copy and paste easily.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2018

Scheduling is one of the toughest things for a sped teacher. Your next step should be to see which students can potentially have their minutes met together at the same time. Then look at classroom teachers' schedules and determine when it would be appropriate to pull students out or push in. You may need to ask for guidance on this, since you are new to the school. Some schools have policies about when students can be pulled out of particular subjects. For example, if you are pulling them out for reading instruction, should that occur during their classroom reading block, or should your pullout be at another time so that they can get double reading instruction? You might have pushback from classroom teachers who aren't fond of your schedule, so getting guidance from admin would be helpful to guide your schedule and also to help you as you talk with classroom teachers.

5. justlive

justlive New Member

Aug 8, 2018

Thank you! That helps a lot. Hopefully my mentor will be able to help me with this as well. Thanks to both of you :)