Tips on remembering the names of 240+ students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cicero, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

For the first few weeks I seat them alphabetically by first name. It works for me.

2. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

Alice, where are your study halls located? Are students allowed to talk? Ours are in the cafeteria in the periods before lunch, and in classrooms during the afternoon periods. We have maybe 80 students or so at a time in the cafeteria during study, and they are allowed to talk and purchase food. I'm lucky that I have a classroom study hall this year with only 15 students. Classroom study halls are quiet.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

Like Alice, I have a diagnostic on the first couple days and I just sit and stare at them while they are testing and memorize names. I usually have it after that. But I also tell them what I am doing. lol.

4. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I've done several long-term sub assignments, which requires learning about 100 names every few months. The best method I've found is to take a 3-prong folder and put a clear protector page for each class. In the clear protector page, I put a seating chart and on it's backside, a roster.

Then I use dry erase markers to check for attendance, homework, etc. Because it's set up in a similar format for each class, it makes it easier to think what student sits where.

I definitely carry it with me all day over the first few days. I usually have their names down by the end of the 2nd week.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Well, remember, we have 2650 kids in my school.

During the lunch periods, silent studies are in classrooms.

But before and after lunch they're in the cafeteria. They're still silent, and the kitchen area is closed. We seat 2-3 kids at each of 97 picnic-table sized cafeteria tables, and they study silently.

Those names I don't have to know, though I'll learn the ones who sit in my section.

This year I'm in charge of the 8th period study hall. I'm there with 3 other teachers, so "in charge" basically means I set up the seating chart. I have 9 different groups of kids on different days, so it's one of those jobs I have to do when I have time to just sit and organize.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I definitely am going to be trying this as well as using their names as much as possible.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

Wow! That sounds like a good system. I'm sure that students who have cafeteria studies at my school have a hard time concentrating since students are allowed to talk and eat. The food service company would probably revolt if the school stopped letting them serve breakfast, so they have never even attempted to fight that battle.

Sorry, OP, for the thread hijack! :hijack: LOL