Tips on my cover letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Jul 12, 2011.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Please tell me what you think. Is it to short? Not specific enough? Anything that can help me. Should I go ahead and say that I have started the process for my license for their state in the cover letter or in the email that I will send to each P? Also should I tell that I am relocating in the email along with in the cover letter.

My name
    adress
    phone number
    email

July 12, 2011

Mr. p’s name
    (School…) Principal
    Adress

Dear Mr. P:

I am relocating to (the state) and I am very interested in your school because …….( something specific to each school). I know this school district strives for excellence in education. I have a strong desire for the success of my students and would love to participate in your strive for distinction. I feel this would be a great place to begin my career as an educator.

I have also attached a copy of resume to provide you with specific details concerning my background and credentials. After completing a student teaching position, I understand the difference a teacher can make in the success of their students. Through my experience as a student teacher, I know that I am prepared to handle classroom management, as well as content development. I am currently taking graduate classes at Delta State University where I will earn my Master’s of Elementary Education in May 2012. You can be certain I would uphold the highest level of work ethic and moral standards. I would appreciate the opportunity to interview for a teaching position, as I am certain that an interview would reveal my positive attitude and ability to meet your expectations.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please feel free to reach me at the number shown above. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

my name

Enclosure

3. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

I've always thought that the cover letter was the first impression. What they see in there, without being too much, gets them to look at the rest of your packet. When I moved to a new state, I always made it known that I either had the state credentials, or that I was working towards them. (I would probably state THAT, rather than the Master's program- not that it isn't as important, but as a first year teacher, they may see Master's and think, "I will have to pay more money". ) Otherwise, I think it is great. I do like that you personalize for each school or district.
    Good luck!

4. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

So I should state I have my Mississippi licenses but that I have already applied for their state license also.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

There's nothing in your letter that I couldn't have written, or anyone else on this forum.

Where's the YOU in YOUR cover letter? What in your letter makes the reader think "Now THIS is a teacher I want to meet"???

Give us a story or two of a success you've had, no matter how small.

6. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Yes.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2011

The cover letter, as Alice correctly pointed out, is supposed to make the principal or the HR people WANT to read your other materials. One outstanding way to do that is to showcase something about yourself that WOULDN'T be in the resume.

Shoebottom, tell us - "us" on A to Z, I mean, not recipients of your letter - a story or two about times when your efforts helped the "lightbulb" come on for some student.

8. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Should I put the address of the school on there or just the P's name? In the first paragraph should I tell them I would like a phone or Skype interview or just say interview?

9. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

How about this!!

my info

July 12, 2011

Mr. p’s name
    (School…) Principal
    Address

Dear Mr. P:

I am relocating to (the state) and I am very interested in your school because …….( something specific to each school). I know this school district strives for excellence in education. I have a strong desire for the success of my students and would love to participate in your strive for distinction. I feel this would be a great place to begin my career as an educator. I have already submitted the paperwork for my (the state) license. I currently hold a license in Mississippi with endorsements in K-6 Elementary Education, 7-12 Social Studies, 7-12 General Science and 7-12 Biology.

After completing a student teaching position, I understand the difference a teacher can make in the success of their students. Through my experience as a student teacher, I know that I am prepared to handle classroom management, as well as content development. During my time of student teaching, I tutored five students four days a week to help bring them up to grade level reading. I developed individualized lesson plans for each student, specific to their best learning style. Over the five month period, all of my students meet their grade level reading IEP. Two of my students went up two grade levels. We did a ten day lesson on the Civil War and for an overall comprehension test of the material covered during the unit I had the students to make either a PowerPoint or a poster and report about the topics they learned the most detail about. I had an ELL student in my class, who would have not had any help outside of school. I spent 45 minutes extra a day and taught him how to make a PowerPoint. He can now successfully make a PowerPoint on his own and fully explain how to make a PowerPoint.

I have also attached a copy of resume to provide you with specific details concerning my background and credentials. You can be certain I would uphold the highest level of work ethic and moral standards. I would appreciate the opportunity to interview for a teaching position, as I am certain that an interview would reveal my positive attitude and ability to meet your expectations.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please feel free to reach me at the number shown above. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Ashley Young

10. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 13, 2011

I am not sure how to add in my 2 personal stories? Did I do it good enough or do they need their own paragraph?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

I think it's too general. Give the kid a name.

And making a power point is great, but what did he learn about the Civil War-- wasn't that the objective?

Also, go back and check your grammar. For example: "After completing a student teaching position, I understand the difference a teacher can make in the success of their students."

12. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 13, 2011

Would it not be their because I am talking about the teachers students?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

I teach math. But I'm fairly sure that if you say "a teacher" it should be "his/ her."

14. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 13, 2011

How about this.. I am trying to keep it on 1 page. Should I list the P's address or just their name? Also in the 1st paragraph should I list my endorsements in my state... I thought this would help them see what I could be given a license for in their state. In the next to the last paragraph should I mention that I would need a phone or Skype interview??

Thanks so much for the help.

I am relocating to (the state) and I am very interested in your school because …….( something specific to each school). I know this school district strives for excellence in education. I have a strong desire for the success of my students and would love to participate in your strive for distinction. I feel this would be a great place to begin my career as an educator. I have already submitted the paperwork for my (the state) license. I currently hold a license in Mississippi with endorsements in K-6 Elementary Education, 7-12 Social Studies, 7-12 General Science and 7-12 Biology.

After completing a student teaching position, I understand the difference a teacher can make in the success of their students. Through my experience as a student teacher, I know that I am prepared to handle classroom management, as well as content development. During my time of student teaching, I tutored five students four days a week to help bring them up to grade level reading. I developed individualized lesson plans for each student, specific to their best learning style. Over the five month period, all of my students meet their grade level reading IEP. Two of my students went up two grade levels. We also did a ten day lesson on the Civil War. Oscar, my ELL student, had great difficulty grasping the objectives about the Civil War. I meet with Oscar outside of class to have him try to explain some of the issues he was having with the material. I took the information from the meeting and made him a lesson on the Promethean Board so he could also study the material during his speech lessons. Before the final objective test, I used the Promethean Board lesson to review the entire class.

I have also attached a copy of resume to provide you with specific details concerning my background and credentials. You can be certain I would uphold the highest level of work ethic and moral standards. I would appreciate the opportunity to interview for a teaching position, as I am certain that an interview would reveal my positive attitude and ability to meet your expectations.

15. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 13, 2011

Thanks that did not dawn on me :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

How about this?

Dear Principal Smith,

As summer winds down, I am planning to relocate to ___ in time for the start of the new school year. As a newly credentialed teacher, I would very much like to be considered for any openings you have. . I have already submitted the paperwork for my (the state) license. I currently hold a license in Mississippi with endorsements in K-6 Elementary Education, 7-12 Social Studies, 7-12 General Science and 7-12 Biology. Thanks to the wonder of the internet, I have done my homework, and am sure that I would be a good fit for Thomas Jefferson school. From what I've seen online, I share both the educational philosphy and the work ethic that has made Thomas Jefferson such a wonderful school.

Even if I hadn't already realized it, student teaching would have illustrated the difference one teacher can make in the success of his students. During my student teaching, I tutored five students four days a week to help bring them up to grade level in reading. I developed individualized lesson plans for each student, specific to his or her best learning style. Over the five month period, I'm happy to say that all of my students meet their grade level reading IEP. In fact, thanks to our combined efforts, two of my students went up two grade levels.

One of my fondest memories is of Oscar. Oscar was an ELL student who great difficulty remembering all the material on the Civil War. I meet with Oscar outside of class for some one on one work. I took the information from the meeting and made him a lesson on the Promethean Board to help him study the material. While he still struggled with the unfamliar names and places, Oscar benefiited from the time we spent together, and eventually highlighted all he had learned by making up his own Power Point presentation on the Civil War. Not only did it improve his history background, but it forced Oscar to strenghten his verbal abilities in English.

I have included a copy of my resume for your review. Thanks once again to the wonders of technology, I can be reached for a phone or Skype interview at your convenience.

Thank you so much for your consideration