Tips on multiple classrooms in a day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ccoltmanm, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

I start in two weeks at a new Charter High School. The thing is, it looks like I will be in between 2-3 classrooms throughout the day, all on the same floor (1st).

Right now I'm planning on having a rolling cart to bring my supplies from room to room, but with the disadvantage of having the ability to set up stations where students can turn things in and collect things, I may be at a disadvantage.

Any tips you can give?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

Talk to the teachers who you'll be sharing a room with. Find out if you can have a corner or table where you can keep the stations set up.

4. ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the tip. I can always get a cheap 2 shelf bookcase for $20 and put it up! Didn't think of that.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

and make sure you learn the floating teacher ettiquette rules. I don't know what they all are but one teacher that floated in my room was talking about them, lol.

These are the problems I've had with floating teachers in my room. I say "my" room because ultimately I am the one responsible for it, I have to decorate it, I stock it with supplies (usually paid for with my own $$$), I have to clean it and I have to write work orders for it.

teachers would leave a minute or two early to beat the hallway crowds. This left their students either alone in my room where they proceeded to destroy it and my belongings, or left me in charge of extra kids.

Teachers would allow students to go into my desk and cabinets for supplies. My personal supplies.

Students would trash the room. Teachers weren't responsible for it and felt no need to have the students pick up. If they left early each day, they didn't look around the room before they left. There would be trash literally piled on the floor when I returned.

teachers helped themselves to my supplies when they forgot to pack their carts well. Teachers would get my supplies mixed in with theirs and take them to other classes, leaving my scissors and rulers there to never be seen again.

Students would use my dry erase markers - big pet peeve. They destroy the tips! I have special student use markers for my students.

teachers would erase my board with the daily/weekly notices. Two other boards that are actually more convenient to use that I always left blank after my class were available. But they erased my info. @@

Kleenex. I had one teacher who allowed one of his students to grab 15/20 tissues at one time. So he could use them to erase his dry erase board. Uggh! I bought those! I said soemthing to student and teacher but nothing changed. I had to finally start hiding my tissues when I left the room @@

Let the host teacher know if you're not going to use the room a particular day. If you're going to be in the library or computer lab. That gives him/her an opportunity to make plans for bigger projects that take space.

discuss ahead of time how you want discipline issues to be handled if the host teacher is in the room. I tried to stay out of the mix when classes floated in but sometimes if there was something major going on or if the student was messing with my stuff, I'd speak up. This is incredibly important if your styles are different.

Learn the technology in the room! Don't expect the host teacher to set up the VCR/projector/DVD player for you every time. She has her own work to do during that time. Find out which technology is "yours" to use. In my room I have items that do not belong to the school that I am not willing to share with every teacher. Some teachers, yes. Some, no. If you unhook anything, put it back the way it was before you leave.

If the school rule is no eating in class, please honor that. If the host classroom has a no eating policy, ask why. It may be that that classroom has a pest problem and crumbs are a big issue. Maybe a student comes in later that day that has a severe contact allergy to peanut products. You may have to change your policies depending on the classroom you are in.

If you rearrange the furniture for a class, move everything back like it was. Take a picture of the BEFORE if you must. Don't do it half-a$$ed and assume that is okay. I've had to move several heavy tables every day a week for a semester because of this. I had to have the tables situated a certain way due to a 504. So the floating teacher would have 30 teens moving the tables for her and I'd have to move them back by myself. Didn't happen all the time but too many times it did.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

I moved between 5 rooms last year. I bought a plastic box with a hinged lid that held hanging folders from office depot, and a set of colored hanging folders. Each class had their own color and I had three for each class. One was for work to be graded, one for graded work to me to return and a third for items I needed to hang onto, like parent contact information and such. I put the box on top of my cart. I'm not super organized, and this folder method really helped me keep track of everything.

Good luck!

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

There are also different versions of rolling carts. DON'T buy the small, cheap ones! They don't hold enough and break easily. I have several and my favorite is one I think is meant for a scrapbooker. It was a gift but I am sure it was more expensive. The reason I like it is that it has a fabric insert (sturdy) which goes on the inside and outside of the cart and has a lot of pockets to put supplies, etc. It even has an accordian file folder attached. Anyway, it is easy to find things because of all the little compartments.

8. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Aug 1, 2012

Absolutely talk to the teachers whose rooms you'll be using. If they can give you some shelf space and a spot on the board, it will make your life so much easier.

Keep file folders for each class and use that for collecting and handing out materials. It sucks not being able to have a station set for that, but it really doesn't take that much more time then telling the kids 15 times to get up and take what they need etc.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

Instead of just a box on wheels, if you've got someplace secure to keep it overnight, consider a utility cart -- essentially two big shelves on wheels. You bring your "teaching table" with you, and you can customize it with plastic drawers, crates, etc. Your school might even have a spare one of these hanging around from when everyone had an overhead projector in their rooms.

This might be overkill, but many years ago I worked for a few months (long story) at a school where I had four different rooms in four different buildings. I bought a Craftsman tool cabinet on sale, the kind with drawers. It locked - important since I had to leave it in a classroom overnight - and gave me plenty of moveable storage. It was a bit heavy to push around, though!