Tips on guided reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hatima, Oct 16, 2009.

1. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 16, 2009

I have a three, soon to be four guided reading groups, the second and third grade students are all DRA levels 30 to 40. I'd like to use some chapter books, but can anyone give me tips on how to do chapter books in guided reading?

3. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Oct 17, 2009

I always have a set number of pages they have to read a day. They can not read ahead because we need to talk about it.

I start the book with a quick introduction of story. Then we would talk about predictions.
    The second day - Have them remember their predictions, give pages numbers to read, if time come back and talk about what they read.
    The third day - talk about what they read the day before, give new assignment -

The key is to give them enough to read in one day but not too much.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 18, 2009

Thank you Katieladybug (cool name). That's what I've been doing. It works fairly well with the 38s. We are finishing Geronimo Stilton Shipwrecked on Pirate Island on Monday. Then I'm doing a "poetry" section, but I have "Nim's Island" lined up next. So I want to make sure I have that more clearly planned for comprehension and summary first.

5. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Oct 25, 2009

Also, in guided reading, you can focus on HOW they read, not just on what they read. So you can work on word attack strategies and comprehension strategies, and not worry so much about the overall story...does that make sense?

6. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 26, 2009

Yes, Peachacid that makes sense. I know what you are talking about. I am attending some guided reading training weekly and the focus right now is on using chapter books and the instructor will talk about literature circles, so I'm really looking forward to that. I am starting to stess retell and comprehension in my groups.