Tips for writing effective report card comments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by trayums, Nov 25, 2005.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2005

Hi there,
    I am a new teacher who is now working on report cards! we are required to have comments for each student , which i believe is typical. However, I am not sureee what to include and what NOT to include. Does anyone have any advice for me?
    :)
    THANKS sooo much
    :rolleyes:

3. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 25, 2005

4. SYMBOLSTeacher

SYMBOLSTeacher Rookie

Nov 25, 2005

I realize it is a simple concept but often overlooked... Establish a positive contact with parents BEFORE the report card period. This will make any less favorable comments more palatable.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2005

I give handwritten comments on each report card and I always make them positive. (You pulled up your grade in spelling!, Keep working hard, I know you can do it! etc) If I include a critical comment (we list those with our grades and they are input with codes) I have already spoken to the parent on several different occaisions (those are usually things like study skills need improvement, attitude needs improvement, etc)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 26, 2005

We only put comments on progress report, not report cards. I like to be very specific in my comments - A on last test, great social studies project, has mastered long division with decimals, etc.

7. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Nov 26, 2005

I always make positive comments too, sometimes intermingled with goal(s) for the next quarter, such as "------is a sensitive and caring classroom citizen and a good helper. Her biggest difficulty is staying organized and finishing work independently. We will be working on this during the next quarter."
    I believe the wording makes it clear that it is not a negative reflection on the child, nor the parent, but an idea and focus for improvement and learning... and that is what kids go to school for.

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Nov 26, 2005

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 26, 2005

I always start off with a positive comment and then if there are any concerns I write those such as she is struggling with.... but my class is pretty good and the ones who are not doing well their parents already know.

10. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I also include positive comments in each report card. I learned the hard way to keep it short and sweet, and not write too much. I had a very big problem because of my abundance of comments!

I always thank the parents for their help at home. I always finish with something like "I'm looking forward to ------continuing his/her progress in the ---- marking period."

Good luck!! By the way- there are also books out there you can purchase as well. Someone bought me one my first year...I love it. The wording is very nicely put:)