Tips for two classrooms?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MarinerMoJo, Aug 16, 2002.

1. MarinerMoJo

MarinerMoJo Rookie

Aug 16, 2002

I am going to be teaching two half-day sessions of kindergarten at two different schools this year. If anyone has any experience in handling this endeavor I would greatly appreciate some tips on how to stay organized.

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 16, 2002

I just wanted to wish you luck! You must be a pretty amazing teacher because I have trouble keeping track of things in one Kindergarten classroom and can't find the time to get things done. I wish you all the luck this year!!!!!!!:D

4. MarinerMoJo

MarinerMoJo Rookie

Aug 16, 2002

Thanks. It's not by choice really. The enrollment at my school has decreased and we don't have enough students for an afternoon class. Luckily the school I'll be teaching at in the afternoon is less than 5 min. away on the same street so the commute time will be minimal.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 16, 2002

I teach double kindergarten sessions and I code everything! Everything for my AM students is coded in blue and PM is coded in Red. I buy avery labels and print names out for assessments in the two colors.

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 17, 2002

I am really stunned and can't imagine how this is supposed to be pulled off. Not to try to ake you feel bad, but I have never heard of a classroom teacher in two schools! So you have to decorate and organize two classrooms? Drag your materials back and forth, or make two sets of everything? I mean, you'll make center games and then have to pick a class to give them to? Or use it in the morning, take it to the second school, then back in your car to take up space all night long, then to the first school again in the morning? Lugging all this stuff around is going to take time, plus your brief commute. I can't see how you will get the planning and lunch time required by law. This is really beyond what could be expected for a classroom teacher. The best advice I can give is to talk to both principals about finding a full-time position in one school, or transfering out. This is truly abuse by the system of their employees. Good luck- I hope you get what you need and deserve! You will be in my thoughts!!

7. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 18, 2002

Well, I can't really understand how you cover everything you need to in Kindergarten in just a half day anyway. I'm surprised that some places still have half-day Kindergarten. In GA I believe all public schools are full-day Kindergarten. Most public school Pre-K's are full day in fact! At my last school (Pre-K through 5th) the Pre-Kers got to school and left school at the same time as the 5th graders.

I used to teach Kindergarten in Atlanta, GA and I really can't imagine it only being half a day. How do you find time to get everything done? Are the expectations or objectives different? I can't imagine teaching the kids I had to read and write and do math with only half the time I had to do it.

Nick

8. MarinerMoJo

MarinerMoJo Rookie

Aug 18, 2002

Believe me Nick, half-day kindergarten is a sore spot with just about every kindergarten teacher in my district. Unfortunately until the STATE of Washington changes to full day, we're stuck with two half-day sessions of a pittiful 2 1/2 hour class period.

Some schools have gone to a tuition-based all day kindergarten as an option for parents. My principal will not let us try an all day tuition-based class because he says it's not fair and equal for all students. I understand his point, but I would really love the chance to teach an all day kindergarten class.

As far as the objectives and standards being different, I doubt it. In fact they've increased the expectations in kindergarten quite a bit for us in the last five years- another reason we (the k teachers) have been more vocal about the half-day classes.

Sadly, I think the reason we still have half-day classes comes down to the almighty dollar. Most of the schools have two K teachers that both teach two classes. If they were to have all day K, they'd have to hire two more teachers and find two more classrooms in the schools.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2002

I teach Kindergarten in an all-day program & love it! I don't know how I'd get it all done in a 1/2 day program. The district I live in still does the 1/2 day (my son was in it last year), & I did not see a lot of science & social studies being done. My neighborhood school has 3 1/2 day sessions & one of the teachers does a.m. at 1 building & p.m. at another building. I don't know how she does all the day-day stuff, but I do know that she plans her field trips with her a.m. teaching partner. The a.m. classes go one day and then the p.m. classes, from 2 different schools go another day. It's not much, but I hope that little bit helps!

10. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 19, 2002

You're right, MarinerMoJo, it IS about the almighty dollar. For all day K, they would not only have to hire more K teachers, but get more K classrooms. My county is very overcrowded, but our new superintendent made the older kids go to trailers to make room for all day K throughout the system (not a great solution, but still). The following year, she made HeadStart all day, too. It was better for the kids not only because I had more time to teach them, but because I wasn't exhausted by having to repeat myself all over again every afternooon!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 20, 2002

Hi,
    I have a question for those of you who teach whole day Kind do you do it everyday? We do offer a choice here of half day of full days Mon/Wed and everyother Friday. We also do not have public Pre-k.

Private school Pre-k Teacher in ND

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 20, 2002

I wish mine was half-day. I teach preschool special ed. in a public school. From 12:45 to 1:45 is nap time. If the parents could pick them up then that would be great. After nap they load the bus and go home. You think I get a break during nap... nope. I have 2 aides and it takes all of us at naptime. One to lay down with one child that rarely takes a nap and CANNOT even be still on his mat for the slightest bit. One to lay down and get my wild one asleep. One to feed one of my lower level students that can't feed himself snack. It used to be a half day program until bus-ing them in became an issue. So, they made it full day but some come 2, 3 or 5 days.

GOOD LUCK

Lori

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2002

I teach full day Kindergarten. We are on the exact, same schedule as everyon else in the building. M-F 8a.m.-3p.m. We rest after lunch! The beginning of the year they rest until 2:20 & then we get ready to go home. (about 1 1/2 hrs. of rest, this is the 3rd day of school & they all slept the entire time!!) Eventually it becomes a shorter rest time, although even at the end of the year some of them will still sleep for an hour or more if you let them! I'm in an inner city school & some parents don't put their children to bed early enough!

14. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 21, 2002

Man! I think the K standards in some of these places must be a lot different. When I taught Kindergarten Nap time was a MAX of 20 minutes and after Christmas we did away with it all together! We couldn't possibly get everything done if we slept for an hour!

In my last school the kids got there at 7:20 and school was over at 2:20 five days a week. (Pre-K through 5th) We were expected to have 20 minutes of Phonics, 20 minutes of Free Choice Centers, 90 minutes of Academic Centers, Guided Reading, Writing workshop etc. and 50 minutes of Math. 20 minutes of science and social studies. Throw in lunch, recess, snack, nap, specials, calendar time, etc. and I can't imagine doing it in half a day.

Georgia recently(within the last few years) adjusted its standards. We call them the Quality Core Curriculum Objectives. They made it so that the Kindergarten standards are now the Pre-K ones, and the First grade standards are the Kindergarten standards. So basically Kindergarten has become first grade.

Anyway, let me also say that not having public Pre-K should be a crime!
    Ours is funded by our lottery!

Nick

15. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 21, 2002

LOL... good idea- fund pre-k through lotteries!!

I agree, K standards do vary widely- in my county, there is no nap at all, only a 20-30 min. 'quiet time' of reading, computers, listening to music, etc.

There is so much pressure on the little ones to be doing what used to be required for first and even second graders.

16. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 22, 2002

In my school, we can't nap at all. Our day starts at 8:00 and ends at 1:50 (12:50 on Wednesdays) and we are full day. By the time morning announcements are over it is 8:15 and we start moving to dismissal sites at 1:30. Now, try getting everything done in that amount of time with 1/2 lunch, specials, etc. They have even gone so far as to cut recess down to one day a week. This should be changing next year, though. But it is tough to get all the standards in with these hours.

17. MarinerMoJo

MarinerMoJo Rookie

Aug 22, 2002

Our AM class is at 8:55-11:30, PM- 12:25-3:00. Talk about no time!

18. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 23, 2002

YOu could color code your schools. AM is maybe red for the color in your eyes from waking up too early. The PM school can be blue for the color of your mood for having to switch to an alternate school. Keep your grade book and Lesson plans into the coordinated colored three ring notebooks. Also if you can get a matching folder for you to put any 'reproducibles or letters' you need to bring in and distribute to the students. Even dittos for the day/week can be kept in a blue or red folder... good luck.