Tips for Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by changingchristy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. changingchristy

changingchristy Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

Hello All,

I am on my way to changing my career to teaching. I am now studying for the content exam for my state and after that will start the classes with my certification program. Meanwhile, I hope to have enough time to volunteer at a school and just see what teachers do on a daily basis. This is if my schedule allows me to do this, I work full-time. I just wanted to ask you all: What are your tips on teaching? This could be from how to present yourself in class or speaking skills to professional development. I have some experience with students since I am an academic advisor for a university, but I have always been on the sideline and not the actual field. I also have a degree in psychology so I am familiar with child development.

Thanks! And while of this is happening, I am also planning a wedding! :rolleyes: It is exciting though to know that my life is completely changing!

Thanks to all you teachers who are on here as mentors for us career-changers!:)

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2012

Best wishes and congratulations on your wedding!

Two things I tell my student teachers....

1. Observe as many different classroom management styles as you can in different schools as possible. You'll find one you like, hate, and a happy middle that you can call your own. Make classroom management the #1 thing you completely rock at and can toot your own horn about during an interview. :)

2. Spend time in classes from K through 12. You'll find which grade tires you out, stresses you out, challeges your mind, and gives you peace in knowing where you see yourself teaching.

I'm starting my 4th year teaching 3rd grade, and the #1 thing I'm very good at is classroom management. :whistle: And, yes, I told the pannel of 9 during my interview for this position exactly that. :)

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

3. Keep a positive attitude and a smile on your face at all times. It's universal for people to avoid grouches, so if you want your students to respect you, make yourself a likeable and approachable person.

4. Master and own the content you teach. This will allow you a great deal of confidence in the room which you'll need to survive. Kids prey on teachers who lack confidence and/or look unsure as to what they are teaching. If you want to preserve the number one rule, classroom management, confidence is key.

5. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

applecore and jwteacher are correct, exemplary classroom management, attitude, and deep content knowledge are keys to success in teaching.

To the above, I would add;

5. Know your students. Who excells in science, who needs support in reading, who is shy, whose grandfather just died, who is an English learner, who likes math, who plays soccer. Use this knowledge to tailor your teaching to your individual students.

And most importantly:

6. Design engaging, standards-based lessons that instruct and challenge, are relevant, interesting, and appropriately paced, model activities students can perform independently or in cooperative groups, with assessment embedded for student evaluation and to inform future instruction.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

Check out some threads here (atoz).
    Hang out here, you'll find some gems of advice!

7. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Keep it real and be yourself.

8. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Realize and accept that it's different when you're the teacher. It's easy to watch other people teach and assume it'll will be just as easy for you as it seems to be for them, and it's easy to watch someone struggle with one aspect or another and judge them or think, "I'll never do that!" But it's different when you're in the driver's seat. This past year (my first) there were so many times I thought, "I don't understand. It worked for my cooperating teacher," or "I never saw my teachers have to do this!" It's different. I was fortunate to have a very well-rounded, realistic student teaching experience. I came out far more prepared than some of the others I graduated with, but there were still things I never thought about having to do, the hidden responsibilities I guess ;)