Tips for subbing MS?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by miss-m, Oct 28, 2014.

1. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Oct 28, 2014

So... I studied elementary ed, I'm trying to branch out while subbing to see if I'd rather teach secondary, and I'm subbing middle school tomorrow morning for the first time.
    Middle schoolers terrify me, so it's only half day which is great. But I'm SO NERVOUS. I just graduated, so I'm still very young looking (I look like a high-schooler, which will be a-whole-nother issue on Friday when I'm at a HS. But anywho...). I figure if it completely sucks I don't ever have to do middle school again, but I don't want to rule it out based on my awful middle school years haha.

Any tips for subbing middle school? :unsure:

3. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 28, 2014

I also just graduated! I currently teach 8th grade, and I was mistaken for a middle schooler the first day of school by an administrator :eek: Haha. Personally, I LOOOOVE middle schoolers. They're such a fun age. I would suggest though, as a sub, come in and show them who's boss! Lay down the law firmly because they will try to feel you out to see if you're going to be strict or a pushover. If they're chatty, quiet them down right away. My best piece of advice is to act and dress like a professional teacher, and they will (most likely) respect as you as one, regardless of how old you look.

PS: If you ever end up teaching middle school, I would say have fun with it. They're little, confused almost-adults and they're fun to mess around and joke with. It's really a great age. Good luck!! You'll be fine! :thumb: