Tips for Student Teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FutureTeacher_1, Aug 16, 2011.

1. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Hey team!

I hope everyone is ready for the new year! I will be student teaching from Sept to December in a 1st grade classroom. I love my teacher, in fact, i picked her. However, I am SO nervous! I subbed for a year and have worked with kindergarten students for 2 years. This is the age range I love.

Can anyone offer tips or advice? My principal is very popular in the district, if he likes my work, I can get a job hopefully! I'm very familiar with this school since I was their go to sub last year. Any tips or ideas for first grade would be amazing! thank you! :)

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

I've had several student teachers over the years and there's one big thing that stands out. Some of them would find a chair in the classroom and sit the entire first day and just watch! I know that observation is a big part of the first week or two - getting to know how things are done. But be up, moving, talking to kids when its appropriate, help pass things out, step in when you can. It is nerve racking, but kind of gauge what needs to be done and just do it. Talk to the kids - if she sees that you are comfortable with the kids and are talking in a teacher-appropriate way, that'll earn you big bonus points (at least it would for me). Also, when it comes time to start teaching the lessons, be prepared (duh) but also be open to suggestions for improvement. There WILL be things to improve upon, so openly state what you think did and did not go well, and ask for help. Show that you are taking her suggestions and advice to improve your lessons each time. Oh, one more thing. Never, ever, ever complain! If another teacher, or parent, or child is getting on your nerves, don't voice it in a negative way. Remain professional at ALL times. Good luck!

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

This is your time to shine but don't forget it is also your time to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take advice. Remember to have fun! I enjoyed my student teaching so much!

5. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Aug 16, 2011

Ask questions.
    Pitch in.
    Go in with the mentality that you are a co-teacher....not just an intern. When you go in with that mentality, it makes it far easier to meld with the class. (atleast, in my experience, it did.)

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Take the initiative. Watch how your cooperating teacher does things and jump in when you can. Avoid waiting for direction, but also don't be too pushy.

Be professional.

Avoid gossip.

Be upbeat and positive about everything.

Good luck and have fun!

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

My team leader has been assigned a student teacher but the whole team will work with her since she will need experience in all subjects. The first impression has already been made at a meeting at the college and that impression was "strong willed." There is a difference between being confident and strong willed. I am hoping it works out.:mellow:

8. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

I had a student teacher the year before last. It was a tremendously eye opening experience for me. :rolleyes: Please, please, please:

-Wear clothes that are appropriate - a man's work shirt with a belt tied around it is NOT a dress. When you bend over, underwear(or lack thereof) should NOT be seen by students or supervising teachers! :eek:

-Plan on coming in a bit early and staying after school - teachers do not have the same hours the students do. You will need to make copies, prep and attend some meetings...these don't occur when the kids are in front of you.

-Do not use text slang in your formal lesson plans or with the students. Asking students in a message on the Smart Board: "OMG! How are u 2day??" is not really an acceptable form of greeting when we are trying to get them to use the English Language correctly!

That being said:

Enjoy every moment. Ask for copies of everything you see that you might be able to use in the future. Use an accordian folder to sort them by subject for now. Go to meetings with your cooperating teacher to get that experience. Try to visit other classrooms if there is time so you can get a feel for how teachers put a spin on the same content. And again - Enjoy it! :)

9. Gracie44

Gracie44 Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Professionalism. Always dress slightly better than the average teacher. Never talk about students unless it is in a meeting. Avoid teacher lounge gossip. And.... let your enthusiasm and heart show. Schools want energetic, passionate, optimistic teachers. Student teaching will be hard, but treat every day like it is an interview. Give it your all, evaluate and be honest with how you can improve, and if you can handle it, volunteer for something extra at the school. Good luck!

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 17, 2011

Along with what everyone else said, get a lot of sleep and go to bed early. I was completely exhausted at the end of each day. I got into a very bad cycle where I would come home and sleep for about 2 hours. Of course, it was difficult to go to bed at night, so I would stay up late. And the cycle continued...

11. MissDoubleYou

MissDoubleYou Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

I'm butting in here - but thanks for all the tips! I'm student teaching in a grade 1/2 classroom starting next month!

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

learn everything you can
    ask a million questions
    good luck!

13. bunches3614

bunches3614 Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

Also, take the time at the end of the day to reflect on what you feel that you did right, and what you could do better. I started doing that about two weeks in, and still do it to this day. I catch myself reflecting about my day on the way home. To piggyback on what someone said, prepare to be there early and stay late. I was even there on weekends sometimes. It just depends on how your coop teacher runs their classroom. Try to enjoy it though, it will go fast.

14. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

Thanks so much for the tips everyone! You guys are so helpful and positive :)

My teacher and I last spoke in June. School starts her Sept 6. She hasn't called me yet about when I can come in and help her set up. I called her 2 days back, no answer. Is this normal?

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

She could be on vacation--those of us who start after Labour Day often take holidays this week and next before we're in the classrooms the last week before school begins. Try again early next week.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

ABsolutely. As Mrs. C said, she may be away.

For you, this is a time you've looked forward to forever! For your cooperating teacher, its the start of another school year.

Besides, there's a free dining promo at Disney World :)