Tips for starting tutoring????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jen78tx, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

Dec 3, 2015

Hi all. Well I have recently started sub teaching as I have not gotten my teaching certification yet. I am thinking of also doing tutoring if I have the chance. I replied to one ad that was looking for tutors which required a Bachelors Degree In Education,which I have. It did not require teaching certification. Anyway I also posted an ad to try to see if anyone is looking for a tutor. So what Im wondering, when starting out with tutoring,is there anything I should know ? I also added that I have a son with autism and am open to working with children with special needs. I appreciate any advice you all can give me. Thanks!!

Jennifer

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2015

I wouldn't work thru a tutoring service. You aren't paid anything near what they charge the clients. Make some business cards and decide on your rate. If you aren't currently teaching you might undercut the going rate $5/10 Get your cards out in libraries, public bulletin boards, see if local public and private schools will put you on their tutoring lists. Once you have 2 or 3 clients it's pretty
    Much word of mouth. I tutor about 10 hours a week at $65-70 per hour. It's a good gig. I love my kiddos. And I know I'm making a difference for them.

4. Jen78tx

Jen78tx Rookie

Dec 4, 2015

Thanks cza ! Would you be able to give me some tips on tutoring , what exactly is involved ?

5. davefranco

davefranco New Member

Dec 4, 2015

You can check online tutoring sites which paid hourly basis. In recent years online tutoring system is replacing traditional education rapidly. Why do you online tutoring is going to be substitute for traditional education.

6. Sarahhoffman

Sarahhoffman New Member

Dec 4, 2015

You should know about teaching technique. You should understand that how to teach students and all.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 4, 2015

The chain agencies are the 9nes that pay low rates. You can sign on at Wyzant.com, set up a profile, and choose your own rate. Yes, they take a percentage, but also handle all billing. I work for a private agency and the pay rate is good and the tutoring is not remedial, but online curriculums. You should tutor with an awareness of the appropriate methods for various age groups. Younger children may need to be engaged through fun activities and game formats.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2015

I tutor between 9-10 hours per week at $65-70 per hour.

My kids are all middle school and time mgt, study skills tend to be areas I support. I help with A LOT of homework, but in addition, I support their literacy development, critical thinking through our book talk, my questioning, pushing their thinking. On long term projects we set up a timeline, start the work together and I 'assign' what should be done by the next time I come. Test prep- both regular class test study and standardized testing practice. I communicate with parents and my kids' classroom teacher about what needs to be work on, student progress, upcoming units...

9. Gracejulian

Gracejulian New Member

Sep 4, 2016

Building your online reputation with good tutoring profile and reviews are important to get more students. Website like www.KidoServ.com allows tutors to list their services for free and also allow parents to search for tutors near their home by zip code for free. No cost and any commission involved. It is free platform to connect parents and tutors. Good Luck.