tips for putting up bulletin boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacheroo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I'm trying to put up a huge bulletin board. One that basically fills most of one wall. I want to use one big piece and then separate it into sections with border. I am realizing that I am TERRIBLE at putting up bulletin boards, and I think it is because I've never had to do it (at least not a big one). Since we rotate rooms every three months, we've had the same boards up for two years. They are worn out to say the least. Any tips for getting a humongous piece of paper up on the wall (oh, and straight)?

3. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

If you're using the traditional bulletin board paper, then I would just make sure the straight edge of the paper is parallel to the top of the bulletin board. Start at one side and staple your way down. I would also recruit someone to help you.

But if you're going to break it up with border anyway, why not just cut the paper up the size of each "mini" bulletin board? That way the paper will be more manageable, and you won't see the cuts anyway since border will cover it.

4. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I always try to get someone to help me. If I can't get anyone, then I just roll the paper and make sure that I start at the top and staple as I go along. It's easy after the first few. I just finished student teaching and I had to do 4 of them, VERY ANNOYING BY THE WAY!! No one looked at my pictures.grrrr

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

Bulletin boards are my least favorite thing about teaching! I agree to try to break it up into sections with the border. For getting the things straight, I've seen people use stick pins to put everything up and it's easier to move left or right than re-stapling it. Good luck!

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

A friend of mine bought a staple gun to use and it is *brilliant*

The staples aren't a huge guage (8 or 10mm, I think), but it is enough to hold the first time so you're not stapling over and over in the same spot.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 16, 2008

Get yourself a laser level from the hardware store. They are inexpensive, and you can also use it at home to hang pictures, curtains, etc.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I bought some gift wrap today, instead of the regular butcher paper that our school supplies. It is easy to get up, cause it is on the roll and doesn't wrinkle all up. PLUS--You get great backgrounds.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

Cut the paper longer than you think you need. When putting the paper up, try to follow the edge of the board as closely as possible. Then you can always trim off the extra. As long as the paper is solid and you plan on using borders, don't worry if the paper isn't perfectly lined up on the wall; the borders will hide this.

10. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

What about fabric? It is easy to hang or you can laminate it and make it even easier.

Whether I use fabric or paper, I always staple the top left corner, use my stapler like an iron and drag it down to the bottom right hand corner and staple there, then do opposite diagonal corners. That way it is up, unwrinkled, straight. Then, you can go back and finish stapling to secure it.

I agree with the others-get help.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2008

The better the stapler, the easier to put up the backing. I prefer fabric to paper, but if I were you, I would cut the paper into the widths you want first. The border will cover it all. I never worry about the edges of the BB either because the border hides all the mistakes.

12. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 17, 2008

One of my teammates uses one too! It seemed overkill at the time, but I bet it would be easier!

13. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 17, 2008

I'd love to use fabric, but we change rooms every three months. I need to do something I don't mind leaving in the room for the rest of the teachers.

14. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 17, 2008

I definitely need to recruit somebody...any volunteers?

15. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

The school paints my bulletin boards. I never have to put up paper again!

16. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Grab someone in the hallway to help you...it will only take 2 miuntes of thier time and save you a ton of stress!! Offer to help them with their BBs in return. My team and I all go in the ahll at the same time and do it together... :)

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

Fabric can be really cheap. Try going to the fabric section in Walmart or going to a fabric store and looking in the clearance section. I always buy a plain cotton fabric.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

And fabric stretches a little, which helped me out when trying to cover oversized bulletin boards with one piece of fabric.

19. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 17, 2008

I did something like this a couple of years ago. I just went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap bedsheet. I ran a rope from one corner to another - with custodial help - and sewed a 2" (or so) loop in the sheet to run the rope through. I used safety pins to attach things to the sheet. I chose a light yellow that year because our walls are all gray (I've seen more colorful rooms in prisons) and it added a splash of color to the room. This year I am in the process of rigging a few sheets up so that I can change the color of the "wall" for different uses and occasions.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

For my calendar board, I put up all of the paper I will need for all year. So I choose my May color, put it up, cover it with April, then March, etc. That way, I can just pull colors off one by one each month. A lot faster that way-I can change it in minutes.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

That's brilliant, kcjo13.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

The more I hear, the more I like the idea of the fabric. The only problem is the strange size boards I have. Some are squarish, one is a large rectangle, one is floor to ceiling and about 4 1/2 feet across, the ones above the lockers are 10" high by ?' long...That would take so much fabric just to have red for each size! Then I'd need blue, patriotic, pink, light green...

23. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

I used the same color paper on each bulletin board all year and changed the borders, rather than changing them all the time. You're covering up a good bit of it anyways with student work, and the border really does give it a different feel. I chose black for my bulletin board outside my room, and it looked great with ALL my borders.

I've thought about the fabric thing, too.... What exact material is it? 100% cotton? How wide is it usually? (Can you tell I don't sew? :))

Also, if you have a Jo-Ann Fabrics near you, you can buy what you need and if it's one "cut" you can get 40% off with the coupons they put in the newspaper.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

Clearance fabric!!

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

I use fabric that I bought on clearance from Walmart. I paid about $1 a yard. It's light blue flannel. It doesn't fade like paper does. I'm using it for my 3rd year now, and you would never know it. I just change borders to make it look different.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2008

$1 to $2/yd at Wal Mart. I like the stretchy cotton jersey. I usually leave it up all year but put something over the top of it if I want a particular holiday themed covering.

27. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

I don't live too close to a Wal-Mart (can you believe that??? :)) but I'll have to drive out and see if I can find some good fabric! :)

28. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I don't do the whole long sheet of bb paper. I put it up in smaller sections, covering one space from top of board to bottom of board the same width of the bb paper. This way, I'm putting up 3 or 4 smaller sections of overlapping bb paper. I can live with the seams. I can never get the whole board covered with one sheet of bb paper. It always ends up crooked!

29. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Plastic tablecloths from the dollar store work great! The are rather large, inexpensive and VERY EASY to put up, because they don't weigh anything! they hold up well, because they don't fade at all! I love using these, makes putting up bulltein boards a quick and easy job!

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2008

Our teachers are lucky. They all have an aide. As an aide, my least favorite duty is changing out the bulletin board. For a while I had SEVEN of them that had to be changed out regularly. I admit, mine aren't overly huge but here's my tip. Make sure the paper is a bit bigger. Then use a peice of tape to hang up the paper on the top 2 corners. Then use a ruler to straighten it out, stapling as you go. Do the same for the bottom 2, one side at a time then the bottom. Use the yardstick well! The final step is using the box cutter to remove excess peices.

31. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 18, 2008

I convinced my male teammates that I was absolutely incapable of hanging a bulletin board (it was pretty obviously true) and they had my giant monstrosity hung in 2 minutes flat! :haha:All my bulletin boards are one color now (blue) and I must say, they look great!! :up: Someday, I'll try to convince them that fabric is better!