Tips for new middle schoolers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Rockguykev, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

I'm putting together a presentation on tips for success for my incoming 7th graders in the Fall. I am looking for just basic stuff - the things good students take for granted. I'll be doing a full unit on Habits of Mind later in the year but this is just to get them started off right.

So far I have section on:
    -Be prepared
    -Stay focused
    -Ask good questions
    -Be kind to teachers

Within each section I have specific tips and strategies that cover things like SLANT, note-taking skills, etc. so I'm just looking for any big ideas I might have missed.

Sooooo long post short:

What tips would you give to new middle schoolers to help them be successful from the get go?

3. glen

glen Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I encourage my middle schoolers to talk to me first if there is a question/concern/problem. I tell them I'd like to hear it from them first and before it gets too big rather than from their parents. Middle school is an excellent time for them to begin to handle and address their own minor issues.

4. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

I had my 7th graders give advice to my new 6th graders, and an overwhelming majority said to stay away from drama and pick the right kind of people to hang out with. I was actually surprised that they would come up with that, but they did have a LOT of drama last year.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Get involved (clubs, sports)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Rockguy~I'd love to see this when you've finished!

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

get some type of planner, so they can get in the habit of recording homework assignments, details, what's do when, upcoming test and project due dates. At the high school level, I've noticed that without fail, my highest achieving students pull out planners of some sort whenever I mention homework or change the ¡ojo! board (the section of the board where I put up dates for up coming quizzes, tests and projects).

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

Three things I tell mine...

1-It's all about details---so pay attention to the little details in things in your work, in what you say and what others say, reading body language, when interpreting questions, etc...

2-Organization is half the battle and good organizational skills will save you time and energy so you don't have to spend it all catching up on work, finding lost items, fixing imcomplete work or work done improperly, etc...

3-You can say anything to anyone as long as you know HOW to say it--be tactful and considerate, disagree respectfully and deal with things in an honest up front way so things don't escalate. This even applies when disagreeing with the teacher and other adults. Good people skills will go a long, long way.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. Keep them coming!

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

DITTO!!!
    I also tell mine that they need to study every night. Some of my kids would walk out of the door saying they had no homework on nights where there was no assignment. These same students could not figure out why they had low grades.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

I agree with CanadianTeacher and Each1Teach1...I agree with everyone, actually.

I would also stress the importance of not cutting parents out of their lives quite yet. :)

I think it becomes a "weird" situation because all at once the children don't seem to talk to their parents much about school. and all things related..the parents don't ask about the topics because they don't think their children want to discuss them...and so the children continue to not talk about school and such because they think their parents don't care. This is generalized, of course, but I see it often. Keep those lines of communication open!

12. JennM

JennM Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

MiddleGradesLA, I agree with the notion of having the older students explain things to the younger students. Maybe you could have the 8th graders come in during some period and answer any questions your 7th graders have. You might be surprised at how much more willing the students are in seeking answers from their peers, and also it will help them to build connections with other students whom they may not know.