Tips for my Vegas vacation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by myKroom, Jun 2, 2012.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 2, 2012

I'm super excited to be heading to Vegas in just under 2 weeks! We are going for a full week and will have about 4 days to explore. The other two days will be spent at the Frontsight Shooting Range learning how to shoot handguns. This is my friends hobby not mine, but we are getting the class for free so why not!! Neither of us have been to Vegas and I'm looking for some guidance on what to do and where to go. We are staying on the strip and we do have a rental car. We know we are going to Hoover Dam one day and just exploring the strip for the rest.

So what do you recommend?

3. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jun 2, 2012

I would love to hear Vegas tips as well. We are leaving for Vegas for the 1st time tomorrow! Where are you staying on the strip myKroom? We are staying at the Mirage.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 2, 2012

Are you planning on seeing any shows? I like Hoover Dam, and we also went to the Liberace museum. What kind of things do you like? I enjoy Vegas, and I like to play the slots at the MGM. There is a drugstore on the strip ( I think it's Walgreens, across from Treasure Island, that has cheaper stuff) We have some members on here that live in Vegas. Loved the Coke Store too. Have fun.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 2, 2012

We are staying at the Excalibur. The only show we have planned is Blue Man group, but we have others in mind as well. We are easily entertained so I'm just looking for options!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2012

When you're at Frontsight, be prepared for lots of sales pitches. At every break, they'll send in someone to try to sell you stuff.

The Liberace Museum is now closed. :( If you have time, check out the Atomic Testing Museum. It's just off the Strip on Flamingo. It's my absolute favorite museum in town.

For a fairly good meal at a very good price, go to Mr. Lucky's 24/7 inside the Hard Rock Hotel and ask for the Gambler's Special. It's not on the menu, sort of a locals-only secret. It's steak and shrimp, with mashed potatoes and a salad, for $7.77, 24 hours per day.

Be sure to check out the fountain shows at the Bellagio. Inside the Bellagio is the Conservatory, which is usually really pretty.

If you like nature-y stuff, go to the Springs Preserve. It's a little ways off the Strip but worth the trip.

My favorite place in town is Fremont Street, i.e., the "old" downtown. You can usually see Captain Jack Sparrow, Elvis, Michael Jackson, and some showgirls. You can also go zip-lining over Fremont Street. There are two restaurants there worth checking out, both of them located in the Plaza hotel at one end of Fremont Street: Oscar's (named after our former mayor) and Hash House A Go-Go. Go to Hash House only when you are VERY hungry--the portions are enormous.

I have a million other recommendations, but they depend on what you like. If you have more questions, I can do my best to answer. I've lived in Vegas for 6 years. :)

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jun 2, 2012

Caesar gave you lots of great ideas so I'll try my best to add to them. As far as shows go, most of them are amazing. It is hard to go wrong. My new absolute favorite is Absinthe at Caesars. But I will warn you that it is a bit raunchy and crude (which I found hysterical but some can be offended by). The acts are absolutely amazing though and there is no other show in town where you are that close to the stunts.

I second the recommendation of Freemont street. One of my favorite activities is just walking around and people watching. The ziplining is a blast and Oscar's is delicious! Another great steakhouse is Hugo's Cellar at the Four Queens. It is "fancy-ish" so you would need to be in the mood for that sort of thing (dimly lit, tableside service, etc.).

Another place I would recommend eating is Stripburger. It is on the strip at the end of the Fashion Show mall (just past TI). PH and the Miracle Mile shops have some of my favorite restaurants all in one place: Cabo Wabo Cantina, PBR Rock Bar and Grill (try the Dorito mac and cheese if you go!), and Pink's hot dogs. For steakhouses I love Oscar's (mentioned above), Smith and Wollensky (expensive), and I hear the one is Circus Circus is great but we still have never made it (been here 10 years :lol:).

The Springs Preserve that Caesar mentioned can be a lot of fun and they were just making some pretty major additions. I'm not sure if they're complete yet or not. For an entertaining time you could go to the wax museum on the strip. It is at the top of the ramp into The Venetian. Some of the statues are pretty amazing (others really are not) and it is fun to take all sorts of crazy pictures with them.

If you're into this type of thing you could go to one of the many pool parties on the strip. There is Rehab at the Hard Rock (SUN), Summer Camp Fridays at Hard Rock, Wet Republic at MGM (TR-M), Encore Beach Club (Sat/Sun), and I'm sure countless more. It can be a lot of fun but you have to be prepared to spend quite a bit of money... drinks are expensive, you usually have to pay for anywhere to sit (even the lounge chairs), etc.

What do you like to do? There are countless things to do but it really depends on your tastes.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 2, 2012

When I went to Vegas, I took a tour of Red Rock Canyon. It was fabulous! I highly recommend booking a tour of Red Rock.

9. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 2, 2012

Caesar, have you been to Frontsight? I already figured out they like to sell stuff. I have gotten so many recored calls about special deals and offers. Ugh...so obnoxious! If you have been, what should I expect? We are going off of only one personal sources information and my friend is hanging on her every word! I trust this person, but know that there are other points of view as well. I have only shot a handgun once so I'm totally a newbie!

Otherwise, thanks for the suggestions so far. Neither of us are big gamblers, but I know there is tons to do other then gamble. I'm sure we will both play a bit, but want to find lots of other things to explore.

Keep the ideas coming!!!
    :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2012

The training at Frontsight is top notch. I can't handle all the upselling and sales pitches all the time, though. We get phone calls and emails constantly, not to mention all the DVDs and letters/postcards. Ugh!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2012

I went to Vegas last year with my mom and had a great time! All of the shows we went to were great, but The Price Is Right Live was my favorite (and it was also the cheapest!). We also saw The Phantom of the Opera, Celine Dion and Menopause the Musical. If you like breakfast buffets you definitely have to go to the breakfast buffet in the Paris hotel.

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 2, 2012

The Cirque Du Soleil shows are amazing.....we loved KA! Also saw the O show with water....loved KA

13. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jun 2, 2012

Glad to hear you loved KA. We are going to be seeing it! :)

14. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jun 3, 2012

The price is right was really fun and pretty cheap! We also saw Terry Fator at the Mirage-- the show was fantastic! I laughed so hard I was almost in tears. He won America's Got Talent a few years ago. We were skeptical to go, but he had great reviews and the concierge at the hotel highly recommended it.

If you like Italian food, Mario Battali's restaurant at the Wynn was really good (I think its called Bartolotti)! We also enjoyed Lakeside Grill too. I have heard good reviews about the wax museum (Madame Tussaud's) but we didnt have time to go.

Caesars Palace has nice shops and restaurants too. Venetian has gondola rides, and new york new york has a roller coaster.

This limo company offers tours to a winery, hoover dam and grand canyon. They also do strip tours. We used them to pick us up from the airport (and takes us back) and they were great. The driver was very nice, and we got roses and complimentary champagne. I highly recommend them.

http://www.presidentiallimolv.com/Las_Vegas_Limo_Tours.php

15. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 3, 2012

I went this year and honestly, my favorite thing to do was just walk around and explore the strip and hotels, especially since I was on a budget and don't really like gambling. There's just so much to look that. That and buffets! Some of them aren't worth it, but some are great. I really enjoyed The Buffet at Wynn. I must have eaten my weight in crab legs. There's also a nice (and yummy) french restaurant called Mon Ami Gabi which is directly across from the Bellagio fountains, so you can watch the shows while you eat.