Tips for keepng up with laundry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by storyh, Mar 31, 2013.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Mar 31, 2013

I need help! I feel like my life is chaos all the time. I can never get or keep the house clean. My kids have chores but I am lucky if they get them done more than twice a week, because we are so busy. The biggest problem I have is laundry. Before I know it, the weekend is here and there are 6-10 loads of laundry to be done. I tried hiring my teenager to do it, and that lasted about 3 Saturdays. Anybody have any good tips for keeping the laundry done?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 31, 2013

Throw in a load every day? I live alone, so I don't generate much laundry. I do usually save it up for one day. I did six loads yesterday . . . dark, light, bed linens, towels & washcloths, rugs, and delicates. Most weekends I do 1-2 small loads. Yesterday was the extra stuff I do monthly.

I do always sort immediately, so there is no time lost in gathering up scattered clothes or sorting things. As soon as the load finishes wahing,it goes in the dryer and another load goes in the wash. There are hangers in the laundry room, so everything that comes out of the dryer is immediately hung up or folded. Tose things are immediately put away. I had all six loads finished in under 2 hours. I swept floors, dusted, and cleaned mirrors while the laundry was in the machines.

4. storyh

storyh Companion

Mar 31, 2013

Wow! Wish I could hire you! I do try to get 1-2 loads done during the week, but still leaves a lot for the weekend. There are 5 of us. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. storyh

storyh Companion

Mar 31, 2013

P.S. Part of my problem is that my intrinsic motivation to clean disappeared a long time ago. I wish I could get it back.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 31, 2013

I'm not a fan of clutter, so I make sure things have a place to be and go there unless I'm using them. I try to touch things as few times as possible. It really does make a difference.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2013

Questions: how many children and how old?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2013

I mostly do laundry on weekends. But on days when I'm home early from tutoring, I'll throw a load in.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2013

If your kids are old enough to do their own laundry, they should. If they don't wash their own clothes, they won't have clean clothes to wear. They'll figure it out soon enough.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 31, 2013

My kids are 11 and 13 and do their own laundry. Sometimes they do it on a school day after getting home, sometimes on the weekend. They started about 6 months ago and it's made my weekend washing seem much less like a chore. I'll usually do towels and sheets during the week if I think of it after work and that helps cut the weekend loads down too. Also, it helps that we have a front loader with a fairly large capacity. When I wash a load of darks it's typically 8 or 9 pairs of adult pants, 7 to 9 shirts as well as a decent amount of socks and undergarments. All of that fits in one load.

But main advice I can give, children age 10 and older can do their own laundry. If they don't do it, they wear what's available in the closet. Trust me, when ds was down to one pair of pants that he doesn't really like, he remembered to throw in the laundry as soon as he got home from school. And he's not the "good remembering" kind of a kid, at all :rolleyes:. So, if he can get this chore done, anyone can :).

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Mar 31, 2013

Definitely my mom's view! I was doing my own laundry starting in 6th grade, and my son will be doing the same!

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 31, 2013

My daughter does her work clothes. Little tiny loads almost every night. Her school clothes/every day clothes go down the laundry chute & usually my hubby does it all. With a front loader it just makes sense for us.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2013

Your kids are definitely old enough to do their own laundry. If they can figure our the t.v. remote and video games, they can do their laundry.

I have 3 boys. We easily did 10-12 loads a week because they were in sports. This is what I did to keep myself sane:

I bought each of them 2 laundry baskets from the dollar store. I put their names on them, but they were also color coded as were their towels (green, red, blue) so I always knew who had their towels on the floor, etc. They were responsible to do their own laundry - but only on warm or cold, and they always had to do full loads. If there was already a load in the machine, they could transfer it over or take it out of the dryer and put it in a basket for their brother.

If I had to do it over, I would make 2 labels for each child on magnets so they would put their label on the washer or dryer so others would know who the load belonged to.

When they were little and couldn't do their own, I put a chair by the dryer and I would sit and fold the laundry and put it directly in a basket. Even if I didn't put it away right away, at least they were folded.

I also had a sock basket. All kids socks went in the basket and it was their job to find a matching pair. I had better things to do!

I also tried to do a load or two a day so I wasn't spending my weekend doing laundry.

Good luck!

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2013

When I was a single dad I would go to the laundry room early Sunday mornings with my radio.
    I would first listen to a religious service, then a top 40 program, and read the Sunday paper, while I did the wash, I would sometimes fill 10 machines at a time (he and I were into sports me as a ref he as a player). Because it was early Sunday there were no other residents that needed to use the laundry room and my son was fast asleep.
    It became a nice quiet time for me, once in a blue moon I'd grade papers. Most of the time I could kick back and lean against a machine and just feel the movement and meditate (just like when you put a crying baby on a washing machine or dryer). I made doing laundry my quite time. It Helped my sanity. By the time I came back to the apartment my son would be up and eating breakfast I would put his clean clothes on his bed and he would put it away. When he got "old enough" to be leaving his clothes where they dropped I started to give him enough money to do his own it lighten my load a little but he also learned to put his dirty clothes in the "da basket"

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 1, 2013

My problem is putting the laundry away. I have a laundry basket for each person, and put their clothes in it. I hang clothes on a hanger on a rack under the baskets. That way, each person is responsible for putting their own away.

Now that there are just 2 of us, I do one load a day. When MM and my DD stayed here, we had 7 people, and the washer ran alll day long, every day.

16. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 1, 2013

I get the laundry done.... eventually. It either sits in a basket in the laundry room getting wrinkled or I throw it on the floor of the closet when I get home from work saying "I'll get to this in the morning when I get up" (I get home at 10:45pm and J is usually in bed by then) and never do.

I think we need a table for the laundry room so I can fold it down there and just bring it up. Hangers in there may be of some use as well.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2013

My husband throws a load in the AM (both washer and dryer).
    I fold it pull it out and fold it.

We have 6 baskets...one for each person and one for kitchen towels and such.

The baskets get put away on the weekends...or we live out of the baskets too.

Sons take off their bed sheets on Mondays and put them in the washer. We dry them when we get home.

18. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2013

It seems like that is the problem more than knowing how to get laundry done during the week instead of just on weekends.

Build a schedule and stick to it no matter how you feel at the end of the day and in the morning. If it means getting up 10 minutes earlier to switch and fold/hang a load, so be it.

19. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 1, 2013

My problem isn't actually getting the laundry washed and dried....I do that regularly...my problem is folding it and putting it away after. I'm single, I don't have an excuse!! :blush:

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2013

I live alone too. I have enough of everything to not have to do laundry for about 3 weeks. When it really starts to pile up, I just crank out 2-3 loads at once!

21. storyh

storyh Companion

Apr 1, 2013

Thanks for all the replies. My kids are 3,8,&13. The 13 year old will do her own laundry if she needs something washed. All 3 of them are responsible for putting their own clothes away after the clothes are folded. I will definitely try some of these suggestions. Thanks!!

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 1, 2013

I have multiple baskets in the bathroom and make the kids sort their laundry into them before their showers or when they clean their rooms if there's laundry in the hamper there. There's a basket for whites, lights, darks, mediums, brights/reds and towels. When a basket is full, the kid who's on laundry duty for the week is responsible for putting it into the washing machine and then into the dryer. Another kid is responsible for folding and they all put their own clothes away. Having it pre-sorted makes it really easy for even the youngest kids to help. The typical 3 year old is perfectly capable of seeing a full basket and dragging it to the laundry room (though you'd definitely have to get the machines loaded and started for her). They're also capable of listening for the wash to stop and letting somebody know it's time to switch.

23. storyh

storyh Companion

Apr 1, 2013

Thanks! I actually going to try having the kids pick up and sort their laundry daily and make a laundry schedule. Hopefully it will help. Thanks for all suggestions!