Tips for keeping the classroom cool?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Aug 4, 2010.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

I was just in to start setting up my classroom today and it is sweltering in there! Granted, my classroom is always warmer than most in the building (the sun hits my room pretty hard in the morning), but it just seemed unusually warm today.

I was just wondering what tips some of you might have to help keep the classroom cool during the first few weeks of school? My building does not have A/C, so that's out of the question. I do try to keep the lights off whenever possible. I have fans going in the room which helps a bit. I also have a spray bottle filled with cool water which I use to spray my students (and myself) in the face occasionally throughout the day.

Any other ideas? :):thanks:

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

Ugh, I wish I had a suggestion for you! I was going to say keep the lights off, but you already do that. Pray for an early cold snap?

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 4, 2010

cover the windows?

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

Every time I read about someone without AC in their room I am in shock all over again. It's such a necessity here it's hard to imagine going without it. (Actually I did go without it for the last 3 weeks of school last year. :( ) The ideas listed are what we did. We were better off, the hallway was semi-cool so we pulled in that air in the mornings, and we didn't really heat up until the afternoon. I've seen some suggestions about putting ice in front of a fan so that it has cool air to blow. Seriously, I was very tempted to go out and get a portable air conditioner.
    We tried to keep it quiet and calm in the room, allow them to move some. Good luck!!

6. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Aug 4, 2010

One of the teachers I used to work with would buy the car window covers and put them on her windows. You know those type you put over your car windows to keep the interior from getting too hot.