Tips for keeping students organized

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

Do any of you have any good tips/advice for helping students keep their desks organized? I have one student in particular that loses almost every paper I give him. I really don't pass out a lot of worksheets, so the students are not overwhelmed with paper work or anything like that. They all have colored folders for each subject, so they know where the paper/activity will go.

I would like to help this student keep his desk more organized. What do you do?

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

Color coding is a good start and can be very effective for your student -- once he is taught how to use the system.
    You will likely need to coach him through what it means to look at a paper and decide where it goes. Can he do this? Can he make those kinds of decisions and inferences? After you've seen he can do this, you might need to make a general rule for yourself that after each paper is given out (or right before they are to put them away), ask him (or the whole class - "help one, help many") where does this paper belong?... It'll be a long road; disorganization habits are hard to break. but you'll be doing him a big favor. Slowly you'll want to take away your cues so that he can be more independent, but do lots of praising, and talking out loud "Wow, it must feel so good to be able to look in your desk and know where everything is!"

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 25, 2010

My kids have a binder that stores all their folders for the class in one place. Unlike the STARs/MOOSE that have seen on most websites, they keep this at home. I have a plastic folder with sleeves to keep reading logs, spelling homework, math fact homework all protective sleeves. These supports help so much!It might help to make this student organize/clean his desk each day. Like as part of his morning work.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

I agree, provide him some time to clean/organize his desk daily. The more often he does this, the cleaner it will be and the more he will learn about the organization. Stress that no papers should be out of a folder or notebook! That way it is easy to see who needs a quick clean up.

6. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 26, 2010

As an 8th grade teacher, my kids don't have their own desks. But their backpacks :dizzy::dizzy: I actually have to "teach" them how to organize their own backpacks. I have kids that just stuff papers willy-nilly into their bag. So, I sometimes have to go through it with them and sort papers. I provide folders for them if need be.

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 26, 2010

Some teachers at school have students keep everything in their desk in a tub away from their desk. So that way, they have to physically leave their desk to put things in a folder, etc. That extra effort they had to take really helped!