Tips for getting kids to take their time and be thorough when doing work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by shoppingkim, May 4, 2007.

1. shoppingkim

shoppingkim New Member

May 4, 2007

Anybody out there have any tips or tricks for getting kids to take their time and check for accuracy when doing math assignments?:confused:

3. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 4, 2007

I saw a cute idea on here from another poster about getting kids to be motivated workers: She had "ketchup" folders in which alll the papers that were not finished, or not correct went into them. when kids were done with other work, they had to catch up on work in the ketcup folder. If there was no work in there, they could read a book, or do something of their choice.
    If it still wasn't done by the end of the week, they had Friday free time. If you still had work to finish, you need to wok on it. If not you could use the Friday Free time with an activity of your choice. She said that this helped to create real motivation. you could try this or a variation for your grade level. Or you can do this just for papers that need correction.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 4, 2007

I send it back home for corrections. I figure eventuallly they will "get it" that they need to do it right the first time. I often write on the paper "Ask Mom or Dad to check your corrections."

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 4, 2007

If it is just one or two children you could require them to bring it to you before they turn it in. If they rushed make them redo it. They'll figure out the solution to this rather quickly, espeically if they don't get to take part in something fun like playing on the computer or free time.

6. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

May 6, 2007

I always remind my students to check for punctuation, make sure your work is neat and color in any white space peeking through their coloring. This usually makes them look back over their work and spend time making sure it's a little high quality and also some of them have stopped rushing. Also I have refused to collect work from 1 student if I feel it's too soon to be done and the others are working. This usually makes my speedy student go back over his work or add more to his writing.

7. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

May 7, 2007

We're doing long division right now. I give them 2 points per problem: 1 for the division problem and one for checking it with multiplication. They don't have a choice whether or not to check their work.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 7, 2007

Reminders don't seem to work very well for me. Having them make all their corrections, get every test signed, and correct every test does seem to help.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2007

Our counselor has a program called C.W. Checking Chipmunk. It's very cute. It teaches the kids about how chipmunks go back and check their tracks to make sure their burrow's 1st entrance is filled in. That way preditors can't sneak up behind them. The full program goes on to teach other good work habits. The kids love it, and it's a great tool to teach them good work habits.

10. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 7, 2007

In my 4th grade class when I was a student we had tokens for getting our work done. It takes time to set up but runs all year.

If you got your work done and handed it in by the last bell you got:

6 tokens for 0-1 mistake
    4 tokens for 2-3 mistakes
    2 tokens for 4-5 mistakes.

If you took it home the list is halved.
    3 tokens,
    2 tokens,
    1 token.

If you had more than 5 errors or didnt get it done you would lose the tokens for that assignment.

This forced us to use our time well and we couldn't wait to start on the work so that we would more time to make sure it was perfect before handing it in.

6 tokens times 4 classes Math, English, Science, Social. = 24 tokens per day, or 120 per week.

Our teacher also had bake sales, auctions and prize bins that you couls spend your tokens on (tokens were 1 inch squares of bristol board cardboard in various colours)

I cant remember much from grade 4 but the token system is vivid in my memory.

11. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

May 7, 2007

I love the token idea!! I'm printing it off to contemplate over the summer how I'll tweak it for my class. Thanks!

12. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 7, 2007

tokens

I've got a scrapbooking embosser that I'm using to make the tokens, and a special seal embosser to make the "golden tokens" which are worth 100 tokens (very special, and cool). The golden tokens are the same size as a gold seal found in office depot, or staples. I cut the token out by hand :( and then apply the seal and emboss. I'll get a picture up if i can. I did it with a K-3 class and they loved it. It drove me crazy as the kids wanted neon green one day then hot pink the next, I have 8 different background colours, all made from bristol board, and the plan is to release 1 colour per month. yellow for september, orange for october, red for november, and green for december, etc...

I'm trying to make a list of rewards and also to make it into a type of classroom economy with deposits into a token account and withdrawls for services rendered. ie if you did'nt get your homework done, you own me however many tokens it is worth in marks, per day. 15 questions not done, 1 mark a piece = 15 tokens per day until it is finished to the class' specifications.

AND my biggest idea. To encourage kids to read, I will give them a chance to earn bonus tokens. If you finish a book that is at your reading level, at school, or at home (with parents observation) and write a summary book report (less than 1 page with theme, characters, plot, new words, etc etc.) you EARN 1 TOKEN PER NUMBERED PAGE in the book. ie if you read a 285 page book you get 285 bonus tokens. if you read a 50 page book, you earn 50 tokens. Any it really doesn't matter how long the book is, because if the student is reading at a level below them, they can read 4 books in the time it takes a higher student to read a 250+ pager. in the end they will still have the same bonus token earned, but the growth will be amazing.

If anyone else has ideas on this subject, please share.
    Mr. Skinner :D