Tips for first year sped teacher?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Jul 20, 2013.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

ok, I am a first year teacher and I want to do well so my contract will be renewed.

What types of things will impress administration? I want to give all my parents books on the first PTA night . I found these parent manuals on working with children with disabilities and educational strategies at home for 1 cent a piece on amazon. Do you think that is a good idea ?

Also, any other tips? I am bursting with excitement?

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

- Use "person first" language when talking about students. So, you should say, "Billy is a student with autism" rather than "Billy is an autistic student."

- Get a calendar...like NOW. Once you get all of your IEPs for your caseload, go through each one and find the due date. Then, write each due date on your calendar. You need to stay on top of those dates, so that you're in compliance. You'll also need to be aware of those dates so that you can space out your three parent contacts before the meeting.

- Talk to another SPED teacher at your grade level (or school) and ask them what the process is for handling IEPs. Each school probably does it differently. For example, I have to have my IEPs checked by multiple people before they can be sent to be filed in Student Services. Ask someone "in the know" and make yourself a little checklist so you don't forget the process.

- If your kids will be attending general education classes, make up a chart (I use a spreadsheet on Excel) to note each student's individual accommodations and modifications (or like this from TPT). Put each child's name going down the left side of the chart, and list each type of accommodation/modification you encountered while going through their IEPs. Then, go student by student and put a little check mark under each accommodation/modification that the student has. Then, copy for each teacher that will have one of your students (even specials). I like to have each teacher sign a master copy as evidence that they have received the accommodations/modifications. You will have to update this each time you do a new IEP for a student and change their accommodations/modifications.

If I think of more ideas, I'll add on to this post....

4. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

Thank You !!!! This is very helpful. Please share more ideas as you think of them. I want to do really well my first year, and not the slightest idea as to get started. lol.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 20, 2013

All of the above....and ask a lot of questions! If you don't know something, better to find out and do it the right way than to guess.

6. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

Thank You!!!!

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

What are "these" books?
    I'm going to be honest with you, flyers and handouts are nice, but many parents would not even look at a book. If you really want to give out books, maybe during IEP time you could pick a book that matches that child's needs. I would focus more on handouts.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

I am curious about this as well. I would be cautious about giving parents a book that tells them how to work with their child at home, particularly before you know the students yourself.