Tips for First Grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss-m, May 5, 2018.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 5, 2018

So the exciting news is that I had an "interview" yesterday with my principal, who offered me the first grade position I'd been hoping for! (I say "interview" because it started with the job offer and then moved on to questions, and I wish every interview was that easy.)

Anyway, now that the decision's been made, I want to do as much prep and "research" as I can in order to start the year strong in August.
    First grade teachers: What are your ultimate tips, tricks, strategies, etc. for a new first grade teacher?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 5, 2018

Congratulations! First grade is THE BEST! After 3 years of instructional coaching, I am also returning to first grade this fall and I am so excited!

The book that changed my life was "The Next Steps in Guided Reading" by Jan Richardson Richardson clearly outlines, step by step, how to run a guided reading lesson and I saw vast improvement in my students' skills once I implemented her lessons.

Grade 1s are really big kindergarteners. They don't have a lot of stamina for school, they are tired all afternoon and they need to be taught EVERYTHING. Teach everything step by step. Model it. Have a student model it for the class and then ask, "Can anyone do it as well as Jimmy?" Then slowly include more and more students into the process. Everything will take 6.9 million times longer than you expect for those first few weeks.

Have lots of books in your classroom, lots of math manipulatives (dice, checkers pieces, playing cards) and make everything as hands on as possible. (Head to garage sales this summer!) They are transitioning to more abstract thinking, but they are still very literal and concrete. So also make sure your instructions are as literal as possible - don't leave room for interpretation :).

They will work for praise. Praise, praise, praise! They love their teachers and they love to learn. A song, a story, and a smile go a long way in grade 1. They are sensitive to fairness and equality and they will tattle all the time. Take your time solving problems with them. Give them a voice and include them in on the solution so they learn those social skills.

Grade 1 parents (especially if it's their oldest child) are super involved, so use it!

I'm drawing a blank, but as I think of more I'll come back.

miss-m likes this.
  4. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 5, 2018

Keep a secret hidden stash of chocolate in your classroom. When you get ready to throw something eat a piece.
    Seriously, that's the best I've got. I refuse to teach first and my P knows it.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 5, 2018

It's okay to be nasty, but only now and then.

6. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

May 5, 2018

Lol such different comments.

I don't mind first but I prefer second over first. First is such an awkward age and are transitioning from Kindergarten and in my experience things have been difficult. Expect to have some nervous kids but if you make the transition fun you will do great!

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 5, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 5, 2018

It's never ok to be nasty...just love the kids as if they were your own and they will respond. You will have children who will test you and the best thing for them is patience.
    Begin early evaluating your students that you may feel will need "special handling".

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 7, 2018

Remember the first month is the hardest, because they are so new to being in first and use to so much help in kindergarten. If you need anything please do not hesitate to ask! I would more than happy to help you out!

miss-m likes this.
  10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 7, 2018

Our school year starts the Tuesday after Labour Day, and I always had to remind myself we just had to survive to Halloween. Everything was better in November, but those first few weeks are tough!