Tips For Departmentalized Elementary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jul 21, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 21, 2014

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to plan certain things, especially with classroom management and things that have to be distributed to students. I am really worried that my students will not have supplies. (pencils, folders, notebooks...etc) Any one who is familiar with teaching departmentalized classes have any tips that will make my life easier. I taught departmentalized last year but I started a few weeks in and the teacher who started with the kids have most things in place.

Thanks, any advice is welcome :)

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 21, 2014

I've done it, and honestly, the easiest way for you to plan things like that will be for you to sit down with your team and discuss it together. I would think for 1st grade, you would want them carrying as few supplies as possible to your room, so perhaps you could find a spot to store the materials for your other classes. Last year, my afternoon class had bins that held their folders and journals for my class. The bins stayed on a shelf in my room. When they came to my class, they took their bin to their desk.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

First seems young for departmentalizing. What subjects will you be teaching? How often are the kiddos switching rooms?

5. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

This will be the first time this school is departmentalizing first grade! I will be teaching math and science and the kids will only have to switch once.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

We don't have departmentalized classes; however, all students move to another class for ELD (students who are English Only attend an enrichment class) and later in the morning for RtI (students who don't need intervention switch to another class for enrichment).

As a teacher, I'd have a bin for my ELD class and another bin for my RtI class. Inside the bin was a folder for each student (inside the folder was a pencil, dry erase board, and dry erase marker/eraser).

Our kids start switching classes for ELD and RtI as early as kindergarten, so they're very familiar with the expectations for each teacher in their grade-level.

7. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Wow... first grade is young! I am departmentalized in 3rd grade. One thing that has saved my sanity is keeping all of their necessary supplies in class. My homeroom has cubbies where they store their supplies (bag of leveled books, writing binder, journals, etc) and my second class uses the desks to store their stuff. I have community pencils, crayons, glue sticks, scissors, etc. in buckets or bins in an easily accessible area in the classroom.

The only thing that the students are responsible for bringing back and forth is a binder, which has their agenda and homework. The line leader also carries the clip chart from one class to the next.

I would definitely meet with your team teacher to come up with routines that work for both of you. :)

8. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

Our students only took what was necessary. I supplied things like paper and pencils. Some team members insisted that they brought their own pencils, but they soon realized they would lose them just walking down the hall. :)

When our original team departmentalized it was wonderful. WONDERFUL. Then, as team members left and new ones came, the new members weren't invested in our process and it didn't work out. We don't do it anymore since I am the only original member left.