Tips for dealing with struggling/trouble students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emily W, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Emily W

Emily W New Member

Sep 29, 2019

Hi everyone! Tomorrow I am starting a new job at an elementary school as an aide, specifically for the kiddos who are in ISS. I will be the one that the teachers can call if they need a student to be taken out for some extra help. I’m looking for some of your best tips on how to help students recognize their actions, set goals to be better and overall how you relate and connect with them! This is my first time in an environment like this and I’m looking for ways that I can really help them build trust and make a difference in their lives.

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Sep 29, 2019

I have seen highly successful ISS programs in TX. Oh, how I wish we had them here. :) Congrats on the new job. I think the number 1 key is to hold the child accountable for their actions without accepting excuses.
    If you are firm, fair, and consistent, the student will know what to expect from you. You can find or make a form that the child writes (if they can write, if not talk and pictures)) what they did to end up in ISS.
    You'll probably need to have them rewrite it because the 1st time a lot of kids do not fully admit to what they did or put a lot of excuses down for their behavior. You can help them word it correctly. Then you might take some of the excuses they gave you and brainstorm some ideas of what they could do differently next time if a "like" situation happens.
    For example, if the child was sent to ISS for hitting and he gave the excuse that the other kid called him a name first, build on ideas of what to do when you feel mad or about someone calling you names. What could you do other than hit (or kick) them that wouldn't land you in ISS? If the kid is halfway cooperative, you could role play with them too. Call them something ridiculous like an apple. Then ask them: "Are you an apple?" When they realize names like that are meaningless, they might not take things so personally and be able to come up with how they could act better. Most teachers will love you if you can do this. :) It will be good for the child in the long run too when they learn they are responsible for how they react.
    In the days I saw ISS, goals and building trust were not buzz words even though I think a lot of teachers had a natural talent for building relationships. The ISS teacher's goal was different because they were not there to connect and relate to the offender. They were there to show the child how many freedoms they had in a regular classroom and give them incentive to behave when they returned to class. ISS was not a pleasant place to be. I can see how either approach could work if the kid is held accountable. Good luck on your new job! I hope you like it!

Backroads and Emily W like this.