Tips for dealing with 4-5 graders?? Inner city school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dandi2901, Aug 13, 2006.

1. dandi2901

dandi2901 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Hello! Well i recently accepted a position at an inner city community school that teahes k-5. I am a full time sub and am only certified for k-3. I don't have experience with the older children. Are there any tips that i should know for deal with older children. Any helpful disipline ideas and a way to get them on your side. I nervous too about being a sub and kid being harder on subs..:confused:

Thanks danielle

3. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

For discipline I use a lot of positive reinforcement. I get candy and little things at the dollar store and reward liberally. Usually the first week I'll reward daily - good behavior all day- here's a reward. Bought your homework back- here's a reward. Then we move to a weekly reward plan.

For discipline I do a three strikes. First- verbal warning. Second- name on board, clipboard, or whatever you're doing. Third time- consequence. I have found an effective consequence to be that they have to eat lunch at a separate table with me. It ticks them off, but then you end up talking and building more of a relationship. I also do the three strikes with homework, 3 missed=staying after school so I can help you since you obviously need the help getting it done.

The kids want/need attention. Have a sense of humor. Show that you are really inteersted in them. Do a student of the week bulletin board--they'll still like the spotlight. Take lots of photos and display them--many have VERY few photos of themselves. I usually get doubles printed and give them a copy.

Spend time with them outside of class- eat lunch with them, occasionally participate in gym class, go out on recess, go visit the after school program. They'll think you're awesome.

Be very firm about what you do expect--not mean, just firm. DO NOT YELL. Many of these kids have been yelled at a lot and just tune it out.

That's all I can think of on one cup of coffee! :) I've taught inner city for 18 years. Feel free to e-mail me. cwp873 at aol.

4. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

It's sooo true about many students in some areas not having photos of themselves. The last school I worked at opened my eyes to it. I decided to do a bulletin board where eveyone brings a photo of family and we do "All About Me". Well...only 3 kids out of 32 had a picture to bring. I started getting stories about how our pictures got left at our last house, how our pictures are with our mom but she took them when she left, how our pictues got burned in a fire, etc....really heart-wrenching stuff from 5th graders!!! I brought in a polaroid, took pictures of our classroom family, and ended up with a completely different bulletin board with the same message!
    I also gave kids a copy of a picture with their friends, They loved it.
    I actually got my squirrely kids to be still for a MINUTE!!! LOL

5. Mimi223

Mimi223 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

When I was teaching in Florida I had 35 4th graders for the first quarter (Large teacher shortage in Lee County). It was very difficult to control a class with so many students. What I did was used the marble jar for discipline. I had two plastic containers on my desk, they were the same size, but different colors. One container was full the other was empty. I told the class if they had a good behavior day ~ all groups on task, no fighting etc etc I would reward them with 5 marbles at the end of the day. This really worked. When they filled up the marble jar they would get a fun friday or a movie and popcorn. You can decide how to reward them.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2006

I third the photos. I got a photo printer donated last year and the kids would love to sit and watch the pictures come out and put them in each others cubbies (this is PRE-K) to take home.

I dealt with k-5 inner-city (well they were kids who were homeless from Chicago, Milwaukee, and Gary mostly), anyway it was after school so it was a bit different but all the kids really want the same thing. Postive attention, someone they can count on, some stability somewhere (for a lot of these kids school is the ONLY stability). For some of these kids school guarantess two meals a day and in some cases coolnes in the summer (well not in our case) and warmess in the winter. Even when times get tough you have to look at where these kids are comming from and see what you can do to make their lives just a tad bit better....That's not to say that you aren't going to run into disipline issues/problems. Just remember when times get tough "tomorrow is a new day."

7. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

you've gotten good ideas, I just wanted to say to watch The Ron Clark Story that airs tonight (sun. 8/13), I think it's on TNT.