Tips for applying for jobs out of town?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tgtbtj, Apr 15, 2015.

1. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Apr 15, 2015

Hi all its been awhile since I've been on here. I've been teaching preschool for the last five years at my current school but my husband just got accepted to a doctoral program in dallas and now I've had to start the job search all over again. My question is what can I do to make sure I'm seen by principals of various schools. I've already applied through the district sites and I've emailed principals at private catholic schools many of whom have responded with interest but that's about it! Is there anything else I can be doing? I live about ten hours away so that's complicates things. Help!!!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2015

Are you able to set up a local address?

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 15, 2015

When I applied for out of town jobs (4 of them), I applied through edjoin.org. I listed my then current address and phone numbers, and it wasn't a problem. I was called by 2 schools to interview, one was 8 hours away, the other 6, I went. rented a car, for one I stayed overnight at a hotel, the other I just went and came back.

It was not an issue. I really don't think you need to have a local address for them to take you seriously. They probably know that you understand this is an out of town position and you are willing to move.

5. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Apr 16, 2015

Thanks for the tips ladies, I'll just keep trying to put myself out there. It's just so hard to face rejection or not even getting a response.

6. Teppiedoo

Teppiedoo Rookie

Apr 16, 2015

That is super helpful to hear! I am applying long distance and have only been emailing principals. So far I have heard nothing. I think I am going to have to start calling :) Thank you for the help!!

7. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Apr 17, 2015

Thanks for the advice. I'm also looking for jobs long distance and I really should do more phone calling. I think all the jobs I've gotten in the past were when the interview was with just the principal and maybe one other person and they felt more like conversations than interviews. I've always found it difficult to break through the 8-person panel type interviews and make it feel more casual and relaxed, so calling could be a sort of side-step around that, or at least a way to make a stronger connection.

8. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 21, 2015

Many job fairs

There are many job fairs going on in the Dallas area right now.

10 hours is a long drive, but most of them are held on Saturdays. You could try to connect with some of the principals beforehand and then set up interviews during the fairs.

Good luck!!

9. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jun 25, 2015

Just a suggestion I thought I would add for folks who are doing a Skype interview long distance. If you must do long distance, you need to be aware you start at a bit of a disadvantage because of the impersonal nature of a video conference.

I found that a way to surprise principals and stand out a bit from other candidates is to have student samples, lessons, or other typical things you might have in a teaching portfolio, 'cued up' so to speak on your computer. Then when the moment arises, say "Well let me just show you ___" and then switch from the webcam to sharing your screen and show and talk about the samples on your desktop.

This trick helped me get a job in another state anyway. The response was almost a, "Wow, nobody has ever thought to do that before."