Tips for a new teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jdelgado120, May 16, 2006.

1. Jdelgado120

Jdelgado120 New Member

May 16, 2006

Hi Everyone!!!!!

I'm a college student studying to become a teacher. I have to do a few projects and one of them involves collecting tips from current teachers. So, I would REALLY appreciate if you could respond to this forum by giving me a tip. Any advice that you think I will need when I become a teacher. Please include how long you have been a teacher because I have to categorize the results!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!

~Jenny

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2006

Hi, Jenny. Welcome to AtoZ. Where in Florida are you?

My tip is: Plan, plan, plan, for every minute of every day. Have extra work on hand for early finishers. Be ready with quick games or minilessons for the times when you have 5 extra minutes. Time is precious in the classroom!

10 years

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

May 16, 2006

File every paper right away, don't let it pile up, or you'll never be done. Sheet protectors in looseleafs are a great way for filing.
    Document all major discipline problems, just in case.
    Block caller ID before you call any parent.
    Always have a backup plan.
    Set rules in advance.
    Love your students!!

I am a first year teacher.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

May 16, 2006

Tip:

To save paper when you copy, make sure you copy everything double-sided. I know school districts that only give a certain amount paper to each teacher. Conserve wisely.

7. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

May 16, 2006

Set limits for yourself. Give yourself a reasonable amount of time before and/or after school for planning and prep and stick to it. School can quickly run over your entire life and you will be exhausted and burnt out.

Get to know your grade level team and draw on their experience. There is no reason to re-create the wheel if they have ideas you can use.

Be SUPER nice to the office staff and custodians. They will be life savers day after day.

8. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

May 17, 2006

Hi and Welcome!

If you are able, to try to observe a class during the first few days of school. It took me 5 years to complete my education (due to change in majors) and the first three days of school were overwhelming. My studies did not prepare me for those days.

Model Model Model EVERYTHING to those little ones it will save you time throughout the school year.

Good luck!

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 17, 2006

I want to add... don't overcommit yourself and don't try to reinvent the wheel. The first year is difficult. Find a good mentor and ease into your own style. Best of luck

10. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

May 17, 2006

If I could pass one thing on to you from my first year of teaching, it would be this:

School gets hectic. The days fly by and there is never enough time. Always remember that you started teaching for the kids. Each child is truly a miracle. When I get frusterated with a student I always try to think about that. There is something special about each and every child, some things are just harder to uncover.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 17, 2006

***Make back up copies. At sometime the computer will crash.
    ****Wear comfortable shoes. Dress professional.
    **Get a bar stool and rest your feet when ever possible. A Captains Chair is even better. They have backs on them and lets you rest your back.
    ****Smile and the world smiles with you.
    ****Organize and file immediately.

Finished up year eight today.

12. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 17, 2006

*keep a copy of every note sent home.
    *celebrate accomplishments, does not have to be a big party
    *It is okay to take a deep breath and collect yourself.
    *Have a plan with the teacher in the next room so you can run to the bathroom if you need to and your kids won't be alone
    * Remember everyone makes mistakes, including yourself.
    *WHen you do make a mistake own up to it right away
    *Model the behavior you want your kids to learn
    *remember your manners too.
    *Be flexible
    *Remember why you became a teacher
    *SMILE
    *Laugh
    *Don't eat lunch in your room everyday-sit in the lounge to get away from your room and talk to adults
    *In May, run off some of your beginning of the year stuff, so you won't be standing in line at the machine in August.

teacher for 9 years.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 17, 2006

Make a student information sheet for each child to complete as the year progresses. I put report card grades, TPRI scores, Star testing scores, ITBS scores, fluency checks, six weeks test results, conference notes, running records, if the child is ESL, in speech, special ed, etc. on the sheet so all the information is in one place. It's been a great resource for parent conferences and ARDs.

Award children for their personal best scores on reading and math tests, and not just A's.

Don't just call parents for negative reasons. Make positive phone calls and notes part of your weekly routine.

Make an overview of the year if the school doesn't have one in place for your grade level, and realize it will change as you go through the year. You may change it every year! Incorporate all the required standards and document them. Start files for the units so you can quickly file an activity for an upcoming skill when you come across a good one.

13 years