Tipping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissScrimmage, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 7, 2011

I know to tip my hair stylist, and I always tip in restaurants. (unless the service is absolutely terrible!) But these places make it clear that tipping is expected - there is often even a function on the debit machine to tip. My question is, am I supposed to tip my massage therapist? When I had a spa day a few years ago it was clear that tipping was encouraged. However, now I go for montly massages to a registered massage therapist, but these are NOT relaxing spa massages - these are painful! Not in a bad way, but these massages actually work my muscles and get rid of tension and knots. Do you tip for something that feels much like a medical procedure? It is covered by my health care. Tipping has not been suggested or encouraged in any way at the place I go. I just hope I'm not dropping the ball!

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 7, 2011

Next time you go, ask.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 7, 2011

I think if it is paid for by your health insurance, you should treat it like a doctor visit. I personally think tipping has gotten out of hand. I don't tip my hairdresser. She owns her own shop. I do bring her little gifts throughout the year. She is a friend.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 7, 2011

I agree with mrachelle. If it is paid for by your insurance, I don't think tipping would be expected in addition to that.

As for tipping, I always tip at restuarants, unless the food and service are absolutely terrible. My hairdresser (hair cutter, in my case) happens to be my aunt, but I still tip her (most of the time - sometimes I admit I forget). She works in a professional shoppe, so I treat it as a business client relationship rather than a family relationship.

I also tip the delivery driver on the rare occasions when I have a pizza delivered.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 7, 2011

Yeah, my parents tip at a restaurant even if the service is bad.

If the service is absolutely atrocious (It has only been that bad once), we'll leave a dollar.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 7, 2011

Wow, I must be old. When the service was atrocious at a restaurant when I was growing up, you left a penny on the table. Your server was supposed to get the hint! :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2011

I tip at spas, but if the massage is medically indicated and covered, I might not...
    This is not a matter of 'bad service'...deep tissue massage can be uncomfortable yet therapeutic.
    FYI...it's better to leave no tip as a message rather than a penny. The message is quite clear.

9. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jan 7, 2011

It really depends on the food and service for me. We recently went to Olive Garden for a date night and had a very rude waiter. He made sarcastic remarks all evening and when I did not respond he said "You know, I am just kidding right?" I wasn't kidding when he was left with the remaining 2 dollars on my gift card for a bill that was $50. When the service is good I tip well. I will not tip someone just because they are a waiter/waitress.
    I wouldn't tip if insurance covers it either.

10. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 7, 2011

Like Sheila, I don't tip someone simply because of their job title. I usually don't tip at all, unless the service is excellent. If a company chooses to cheat its employees by paying them sub-standard wages (and an employee accepts that), then I don't feel inclined to make up the rest.

11. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Jan 7, 2011

Wow! I guess I am shocked that some do not tip at all when dining out. I do not believe that anyone would proudly accept a job making a measly 2.50 an hour. Waitresses/waiters work hard.The tip should be based upon service. To not tip a waitress who has done a great job is pretty unfair. If you don't want to tip maybe you should consider take out. I do agree that the OP should not have to tip for a service that the insurance company is paying.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 7, 2011

I don't think it's a matter of what the employees will accept. There's a separate minimum wage for service employees whose wages rely on tips. It's not really cheating because whatever you don't tip the restaurant has to pay to make up the difference to equal minimum wage, which only leads to prices being raised for the food you eat! You end up "making up the difference" one way or another. Also, service employees must claim a certain percentage of their sales as their income on taxes each night, whether they actually got tipped that much or not. So, even if you didn't actually make that much money, there's a minimum you have to claim. Having waited my way through part of college, I always tip at least 15% even if the service was terrible, and at least 20% for really good service. It's not a perfect system, but it's the system we have, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2011

If it's due to medical reasons and covered by insurance, I wouldn't tip.

On the tipping waiters, I was one for 3 years. I was very good at my job. I still had people leave me just change or hardly anything at all. I would have rather not gotten anything at all! I always tip. If the service is bad, the tip is lower than average...low enough so the person gets the hint. To not tip these people at all though is disrespectful (IMO).

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 7, 2011

Thanks for the opinions! I won't worry about tipping my massage therapist. Insurance is covering the bill, so to me, it's more of a medical procedure.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

I've never gotten such bad service that I haven't left a tip. When the service has been bad, I've left 15%. That's pretty low for us.

Rather than leave a penny, I would speak to a manager. Things won't improve if no one knows there's a problem.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2011

I've never tipped a massage therapist because it hasn't dawned on me. Quite honestly I tip because it is a cultural thing and the way people are expected to be paid, not because it is something I agree with.

I'm moving to a country that doesn't tip. From what I have read, the prices for food are not outrageous. We'll see if that argument holds water when I actually get over there and experience it.

I'm personally not going to stiff someone when that's the way they get paid because our culture has set it up that way but it isn't something I "buy into" as a must way of doing business. I think it is a win-win for both business and employee but I don't necessarily agree that it is a must way of doing business. But we'll see if my thinking changes when I move to a country that doesn't practice this model.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2011

As a former food service employee for many years, I find your comment offensive. Food service employees earn less per hour because it is industry standard that they will receive compensation for providing a service. I've never received service so terrible that I didn't leave a tip. If you "don't feel inclined to make up the rest," perhaps you should only dine at establishments that do not provide table service.

As for the massage therapist... I see that as a medical procedure, so I wouldn't tip.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

Left the penny tails up.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

I worked as a waitress for many years. I made mini wage (6.50 at the time) under the table when I worked in WA state. On average for a week I made about 16 dollars an hr. My best night was Tuesdays. I would work 4 hrs and walk out with over 100 in tips. In Maine I made half of min. wage. So with the tips I averaged a little over min. wage (about 11 dollars an hr), on a good day. A bad day (not many customers) I would barely make 5 dollars an hr.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

I wouldn't tip the massage therapist.

21. smalltowngal

Jan 9, 2011

:clap:

22. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 9, 2011

Maybe I am an over tipper. I tip servers 20% at least. I have never had terrible service, but I've had service that was not great. I tip bartenders generously if I love the drinks they make (I'm a fruity drink girl). I tip the ladies that do my nails, toes, and hair. They lady that does my pedicure knows I tip very well if she gives extra time for my massage. I always tip the pizza guy. I tip the massage therapist at the spa, but I hardly ever go there. I have a massage therapist that I go to once a month, she does it out of her home. I would tip her, but she won't accept tips because she says "Then it would be an $80 massage not a $70 massage. You might not come as often if it was more expensive." I liked her honesty. $70 for a 90 minute massage is heaven... pure heaven.

But, if insurance is paying for it, I might not tip either.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2011

No, no, no...no tipping when insurance is involved.

24. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 9, 2011

Any business is mandated to pay minimum wage. If the food service industry chooses to fleece their employees by paying them less than minimum in the expectation that customers make up the rest, then that's their prerogative. Additionally, because of this system, food service employees stand to make just as much as any other minimum wage employee in another profession, yet also have the opportunity to make above and beyond that wage. How exactly is this unfair for the food service employee?

As another poster mentioned, simply having the food service industry change their unethical practice would produce the desired results. The price of food at these establishments would indeed rise to ensure a base wage is properly met for all employees, but no longer would customers be expected to meet an ever-fluctuating percentage simply because "everyone deserves a tip".

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2011

In the meantime, I'll continue to tip between 20 and 25%.

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 9, 2011

I put myself through college waiting tables. It was hard work, but I made a great wage because I loved my customers. When I got married, the restaurant hosted a come and "eat" shower. My customers brought me wonderful gifts to start my new life. I don't ever remember not getting a tip, but there were times when my tip was less and I knew that I didn't deserve more because I didn't take care of my customers. I tip, but there are times when I don't leave much. Once (only once) did I not leave a tip. It was the worse service EVER! I am sorry that the young man needed the money for college, but he should have done his job. If a restaurant is busy, I will cut you some slack. Otherwise, do your job.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 9, 2011

me too Alice.

28. smalltowngal

Jan 9, 2011

mrachelle~I worked my way through college waitressing too. We were in a small town so I got to know most of the regular customers real well. I never was not tipped, but I knew when I deserved the lesser tip I got.

When dh and I first started dating (before I worked as a waitress), we wouldn't tip very well. After I waitressed, I tip very well now unless service is not good.

29. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 9, 2011

If I can't afford a tip...I stay home.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

31. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 9, 2011

I was a bartender in college. I understand what it means to live off of tips. I tip 20-25% every single time if it's good service. Bad service will get about 15%.

32. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 9, 2011

I tip generously as well. Working food service sucked, but that was the only job I was qualified for at the time. It had nothing to do with "settling" for minimum wage, and I worked really hard. Don't rip people off who don't control the system. That's just a real a-hole move.

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 10, 2011

THANK GOODNESS someone knows what I am talking about! I have never just left a penny-but that was what I would hear growing up! I was told it was an insult-to let the server know that service was poor. I always tip-at least 20% unless service is poor.

34. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 11, 2011

I have always heard that if you leave NO tip, the wait staff thinks you just forgot, but if you leave a penny, it meant the service was poor.