tipping revisited (not cow tipping, tipping for service))

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

When I go to the barber I always get a shave too, my way to treat myself, it comes to $15 and I drop a $20 bill

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

I don't tip the newspaper delivery gal, but my parents used to tip the neighborhood kids who delivered the paper. I think a kid riding a bike around the neighbor in all weather is different from a person who can just drive to the apartment complexes. I do leave $3-5 per night when I stay at a hotel, especially if the service is really good. I have a question though. According to the tip sheet posted earlier you are supposed to tip the hairdresser one thing, the shampooer, the colorist...what if it's all the same person? Don't you just figure 10% of the total and be done with it?

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

A friend of mine worked housekeeping at a hotel when we were in college. They left envelopes with comment cards the guests could fill out. The housekeeper's name was on the card too, so management could tell who the comments were about but also so the next housekeeper (if it wasn't her) knew who got the tip money. The same people did not get assigned to clean the same block of rooms every day.

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

I have only gotten a few mani/pedi's in my life, but last time I got a pedicure I was really confused about tipping.

There was one guy who did all the work, and then some other girl came up and painted nail polish in 2 minutes flat.

I left $5 (bill was $25)...but left wondering if I should have tipped $5 to each person. :confused::confused:

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

According to my hubby, who is restaurant management, there only needs to be one tip and they split it.

At a sitdown restaurant, the tip will be split between the waitress, the busboy, and the bartender (if you get a drink). The same goes for other service oriented places.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I now get my hair cut at the Haircuttery because they do a fine job for $15. The same gal washes and cuts and I give her a $3 tip. If I go for the $20 with blow dry then she gets a $5 tip. When I went to a fancier place that has one person wash and another cut I used to give my washer $2 and my cutter between 15% and 20% of the cost of the cut. I figured the washer didn't make a great hourly rate so I definitely wanted to tip her.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

I tip my manicuist $5 each time.
    I think your daughter needs to be more grateful you were there to back her up when her wallet wasn't there.

8. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I always tip $5 for a pedicure, and $7-8 if I do a mani & pedi. Although apparently I've been overtipping my hair stylist (About $20 for a cut and color that comes to $80-90)

As far as restaurant service goes, 15% should be a minimum for okay service. If your server is friendly and attentive, 20% should be the minimum tip left, and if s/he goes out of her way or does something special for your table, it is a good idea to leave more!

Servers literally live on tips alone. And at nicer restaurants (PF Changs, Cali Pizza Kitchen, Kona, etc.) servers also have to tip out a minimum of 3-5% of all of their sales to other staff, not a percentage of the tip-- so if you leave 15%, your server is lucky to see 13% of that. For example, if your bill is $100 and you leave $10, your server still has to give away at least $3 of that.

Just my own personal little rant. Be nice to people who deal with your food.... ;) :lol:

9. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 19, 2008

I agree. I worked at California Pizza Kitchen from 1999-2003 and we tipped out 3% of our sales to the busboy and 3% to the hosts. I remember how much I hated this because so many times the customers left between 5-10%.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2008

I'm sure many restaurant-goers are glad that they don't have to tip until the END of their visit, so there's not as much of a fear of the wait staff doing something to their food. (Of course they still could do something if they wanted). So of course this means that waiters/waitresses should try to be nice not knowing what kind of tip they'll get.