tipping revisited (not cow tipping, tipping for service))

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Tipping revisited (not cow tipping, tipping for service)

The other day my DD (17) wanted to get her nails done
    in the middle of it she remembered she forgot her wallet so I had to pay for it, it was $30 well I put a tip of $5 dollars in it too.
    She is now saying that she only owes me $30. She wasn't going to tip. I say if you get your nails done you tip. Do you tip the nail person? Was $5 not the right amount?

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I always tip the person....that's a smelly job! And yes, I usually give $5 because I want a good job the next time I come in. Tell her to think of it as money karma.....what you put out, may come back to you sometime. :)

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2008

I very rarely get my nails done, but when I do, I DO tip the nail technician, usually $3-4.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I usually give a few dollars in tips if they do a good job. It depends what I have done. Simply getting them painted = lower tip than say a full set of acrylic nails plus painting. I don't get my nails done often, but tipping is good. A friend recently told me I should be tipping more. Hmmm. I think you did the right thing. I guess I just tip lower than most, but I try to do at least 15%.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

Yes, I tip usually $3-5 for my nails only, maybe $7 if I have a pedicure too. By the way, I say she owes you $37 dollars - $2 for loaning her the money :2up:

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Yes, I second that...call it interest on the loan.

btw, I only get pedicures so I figure that the gal earned the money. :rolleyes:

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

What services do people tip as a rule? It always seems to change. I tip waitstaff in resturaunts (sit down only), hair stylists, and nail salons. Someone I was talking to recently was telling me about tipping the massage therapist and chiropractor. I have never done that. I never tip my doctor or dentist, so why the chiro and mt? Anything else I should know about?

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn't tip my chiro because my insurance pays his bill!

Kelly :)

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

If a service is performed you always tip. Haircuts, waiter/waitress, nail ladies! I tip from $2-$5 on nails, depending on what I have done and how they are. Some nail people are pretty rude and treat you like any other person to get you in and out, they get the lower tip! But they should still get a tip!

11. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I think she's looking for an excuse to not have to pay back quite so much money. ;)

Hair and nails are two services that, IMHO, get a tip just by definition, unless the person botched it up so horribly you'd have to go elsewhere to have it fixed.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

I've only had my nails done once when I was sixteen (for a prom I didn't end up going to) but I didn't tip then and I probably wouldn't tip now.

So, the rule is if a service is performed a tip is due? Come on, that could get really ridiculous. Well, in my opinion it already has. I'd like to see a list of who whould be tipped.

13. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

I think that it used to be that if the job was done well, exceeding expectations, a tip would be given, and over time that has morphed into people expecting a tip as part of the job. Take going out to dinner. Would you just pay the bill and leave no tip, unless the waiter/waitress totally blew you away? I'm guessing that you'd tip the standard 15%, because it's expected. It's the same with nails, hair, and I guess pizza delivery, at least it is around here. I'm not thrilled with giving the guy an extra $2 after already being charged a $1.50 "delivery fee," but I also don't want them spitting on my pizza or something next time.

I think that haircuts, pizza, and dinner out are all I tip for these days. If I ever got my nails done, I'd tip for that, too, but I don't have the time/money for nails...not that I do the rest all that often, either.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I usually follow the 15% rule as well. Waiters, hairdresser-anything done at the salon. So, yes Dave I think that was the perfect amount. I understand what people are saying about extra money being expected, but remember these people are paid a paltry hourly salary, tips are the only way they really make money-what you pay for the service is going directly to the salon or restaurant.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

I found a guide to tipping in the US on a website. It also listed usual tipping found in other countries and it seems they tip less than the US (some only 10% for restaurants).
    Waiters/Waitresses: 15% - 20% for average - good service
    More for exceptional service.
    Headwaiter/captain: May get a cut of table server's tip; so tip your server extra to reward captain, or tip captain separately.
    Bartenders: $1 - $2 a round -or- 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink
    Cocktail Waitresses: $1 - $2 per drink
    Sommelier or wine steward: 15% of cost of the bottle
    Buffet Servers: At least $1 per head if you get your own beverages. If you order beverages (or more) from the server, then you should tip 10-20% of the bill based on service quality.
    Coatroom attendant: $1 per coat
    Room Service: 15% - 20%
    Valet Attendant: $2 - $5 average for each trip to the car, more may be appropriate given conditions. (Like weather or location)
    Pool Attendant: $1 - $2 for each service (providing towels or lounge chairs)
    Showroom Maitre d': $1 - $2 for preassigned seats
    For unassigned seating, you may tip according to where you want to sit (usually a tip over $50 will guarantee your seat)
    Washroom attendant: 50 cents to $1
    Taxi driver: Varies depending on locality. Assume 15% will be enough; an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.
    Food delivery person: The Greater of 10% of the bill or $2.00. Should tip 15%-20% for a difficult delivery.
    Grocery loader: Check with store policy if tips are accepted. If so, $1 for bringing bags to car; $1.50 to $3 if you have more than 3 bags.
    Barber: 15% to 20%, minimum $1, for a haircut. For other services (shampoo, shave or manicure) tip $1 to $2 to service provider.
    Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)
    Shampoo person: $2
    Manicurist: 15%
    Spa service: 15% to 20%. If service is provided by owner, no tip.
    Coffee/food retailers w/ tip jars: Tip is optional.
    Handyman: Tip is optional.
    Gas attendant: Tip is optional.
    Skycap at airport: $1 per bag if you check-in curbside; $2 per bag if skycap takes bags to check-in counter.
    Hotel doorman: $1 per bag for help with luggage; $1 per person for hailing a cab
    Hotel bellhop: $1 per bag for bringing luggage to your room (but a $2 minimum if you have just one bag)
    Hotel housekeeper: $2 to $5 per night
    Hotel concierge: $5 for getting you tickets or reservations ($10-plus if they're hard to get). No tip required when you ask for directions.
    Cruise: Varies. Ask cruise line about customary gratuities.
    Movers: Tip is optional.

16. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

That reminded me......at Christmas who do you tip? I mean, the newspaper delivery gal puts a card with her address in it every year for a tip. And someone else said you should tip the garbagemen. I don't see the why of it.

I think we should add teachers to the list of those who should be tipped. Say 15% of our salary....more if it's an exceptional job (i.e. diapers involved). Think that would go over? :whistle:

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

As a former Paperboy you should tip weekly and at Christmas
    I had both the business district and homes
    I trudged through snow, rain, & dogs
    in the business district I had all the bars in town come collection day the bartenders would announce "Time to pay the paperboy" and they would take all the tips on the bar at that time and give them to me about $5 to $7 I learned to come during happy hour to get paid
    and at Christmas time bartenders would ask "how many kids in your family?" I learned to say 8 (there were only 2 of us) and all the patrons wold tip me I left most of the bars with $30 to $50. the first year I took the family out to the best restaurant in town (if you ever saw the movie "In and out" with Kevin Kline the Bar sene was shot in one of "my bars.")

18. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Okay, but our paper deliverer is a full-grown woman who comes by in her car and we have never spoken to her---the paper is on auto pay at the bank. I didn't mind tipping kids, but this gal has a better car than I do.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

That sounds like my paper delivery! I don't even know if it's a man or woman. My paper is always out of order too. They will get a tip when they put the paper together properly!

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

Well, I find that list ridiculous. I want to know the logic behind tipping all the people on this list, but having it an "option" to tip handymen and the gas attendents. What in the world?

I guess I'm just glad my "lifestyle" doesn't often put me in a position often to have to decide whether to tip and how much.

And for the record, I do not think the paper-person should be tipped weekly and at Christmas.

21. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I didn't tip the paper guy! I wasn't sure what to do, it was a grandpa of one of my students! :eek:

22. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Here is the answer

Your friend is a cheapskate. There is no other way to put it

23. JoCoTchr

JoCoTchr Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Yes, I tip my nail tech. but not for chiro. services. I guess I see chiro. as medical care more than services.

No, I don't tip the paper guy or the gas attendant (hello... I am pumping my own gas & walking in to pay him!!!) Back in the day (when I was a kid) my parents did this when the newsboy hand delivered the paper to our DOOR and the gas attendant pumped our gas and washed our window!! :woot:

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

Who's friend?

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

My Wife is in the hotel business (management) and only gets tips on the big accounts
    but when we stay at a hotel (which is a lot) she tips housekeeping at least $5 even when we are comp-ed

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

Last time I stayed at a restort (2 nights) I left the maid a tip. I can't remember how much. They leave these little envelopes that say TIP on the nightstand so I feel obligated to leave something! I will not leave anything if I only stay one night.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

OMG that is tacky

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, that's what I thought but my hubby said leave a few bucks LOL. Another time we only stayed one night so I didn't leave anything. We didn't mess up the room THAT much!

29. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

I usually tip the person who does my nails $3. During the holiday season, I may tip them $5. I tip my hairdresser about $5 each time.

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 2, 2008

My hairdresser "owns" the chair. She works for herself, so I don't tip.

I tip for my nails.

I don't tip if there is a charge added on to my bill that is for services or gratitude.

31. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Hey; maybe that smart maid had specialty envelopes made by Vista?? ;)

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

I'm sure the list is referring to those people who do pump the gas. Only one of our gas stations still do this--they pump, clean the window, check the oil, the whole bit--but they also charge a few cents per gallon for this (which is worth it for many people, including the elderly). I know in my lifetime this practice has quickly faded.

I have only tipped housekeeping a few times when they did something out of their way to help me. Most of the time we're short towels are something anyway...or a bed, like we were a few weeks ago!

I haven't ordered pizza in a long time, but I did every single Thursday once I turned 15 and started working...it was payday and I bought pizza for the family. I DID tip the delivery person, but only because I was too dumb to realize they jacked the price of the pizzas to have them delivered. :)

Listen, I'm a giving person...I give automatically to a couple charities every month, then all the spontaneous giving here and there, my students in need, etc....so I don't feel that I am stingy or rude at all. Bottom line: I think the sense of entitlement as far as tipping is concerned has just grown out of hand. I just think that when, for example, a pizza guy shows up twenty minutes after he was supposed to, without the extra dipping sauce your ordered, and still scoffs when you don't tip...well, that is unfortunate.

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I don't get my nails done at all, but my 20 yr. old waitress/student daughter does and she always leaves a nice tip! I tell her to leave a couple of dollars, but she insists with a "no, mom. It's really nice getting that tip and they deserve it!". ok; I'm button-lipped at that point.

34. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I believe I have been overtipping.
    My eyebrow wax is $8, and I tip $3. Haircuts are $14 and I tip $5. To me, they had to go to school to learn all that, plus they must stay up to date with their skills. I will be tipping more modestly, though, just because everything is going up so much.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

If they are a name brand Hotel They Have to remake the whole room
    if it is a 2 bed room and you only use one bed they have to inspect the unused bed to see if it has been used if it has any butt prints like you sat on it they have to remake the bed.

And btw I would never lay on a comforter My wife's Hotel chain have removed them from the rooms they are nasty!

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

Do you mean comforter...the top bedspread? Yeah, I'm sure those are pretty nasty. Anyone who's watched the special report (20/20, Dateline...I don't remember) a while back on hotels would be leary of everything. The caught on camera maids simply running water over the used glasses in the bathroom and then drying them with the same towel they used to clean the rest of the bathroom...among other things. Eww. For the record, I always leave the room in very good shape...I know they obviously still have to tend to it, but I don't leave any extra work.

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

that report really got my wife mad she inspects the rooms and has fired maids who do not muster up
    it is things like that that give the others a bad name
    She knows how to say "your fired" in spanish now

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2008

It is good to know your wife requires certains standards to be met. I think it really is a matter of inspection, but too many times managers/those in charge do not take the initiative to do so. Same goes with inspecting the quality of teaching going on in the classroom!

39. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Make one purchase you've and been converted :lol: :toofunny:

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

NOPE! Just she wrote "TIP" on the envelope with a marker LOL

41. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I tip when I get my nails done, I tip about $5. I also tip $2 when I get my brows waxed. I tip about $5-$8 when I get my hair cut.